Jump to content

Recommended Posts

You could require a phone # and physical address for people placing ads on the admin side hidden from the public. That might discourage some the scammers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


And then I have to verify it how? It's a free service I offer and I am doing more than most out there to deter scammers but the bottom line is it is 100% on the purchaser as far as I am concerned. There are very simple ways to protect yourself but people are easily hooked with offers of good deals and common sense goes out the window. I can't be responsible for any of that, and as a free service if I am to be some kind of 24/7 monitoring service..... kiss the Classifieds goodbye.

I appreciate the suggestion, truly, but I think we just had a couple isolated incidents. There were no issues here for years and I am sure this will pass. The scammers do get the message that there are easier forums etc. to go after than mine.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an extremely good nose for scams. You would not believe the things people have tried to pull over on me in over 35 years in retail. There is something not right about that whole Moe thing but if the people involved won't contact the authorities in Bethel to figure it out then there is nothing more I can do there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree you shouldn't have to babysit the service. Perhaps people can do their exchange with PayPal and use the PP protection. The transactions should not be your responsibility. Overall you got a good crowd here. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use Paypal as do most. But some people insist on Family & Friends, which removes all protections. The ads are just ads - people have to use whatever payment methods make them comfortable. me, PayPal verified address only or postal money orders. Bank certified checks are completely worthless. Perfect counterfeits exist of these and personal checks. Thieves avoid postal money orders as a rule because of the severe federal penalties and they have extra layers of protection including a verification service.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
On 12/7/2017 at 8:34 AM, Johnnysalami1957 said:

Do I need to say anything about this? Enjoy.

Re: Treasure Classifieds - Someone has a question about your listing

 
Reply|
Today, 10:39 AM
You
Good morning John,
 
    I am okay with the Terms and Condition of sale as seen on the advert including Your Final asking Price as Stated.I have gone through the content of the advert once again am very satisfy.Payment will be made out via a Check which will be issue to you for the payment and pick up will be arrange after the Check is Fully Cleared by your Bank.I will not be able to come over to view it because i'm always busy at work but i believe that all the details of the advert are right and will want update about the Service History. You don't have to worry yourself about the shipment, My Shipper will take care of pick up as soon as you confirm the payment is Cleared by your Bank. let me know if there is any other miscellaneous payment like,the tax charges, etc that will be added to it.Transportation and maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount that will be issued on the Check. it will be used By My shipper who will be coming for the Pick Up at your location after your bank confirms cash available for use.My shipper is the one that will act on my behalf regards the documentation of the change of ownership so any signation will be sign by my shipper pick up and other all necessary detail information will be fill by shipper so don't worry yourself about the change of ownership documentation will be taken care by my shipper.Get Back to me with information listed below in order to make out the Check and payment will be issued and send via first class Mail
 
Name to Be Write on The Check
Address To Send the Check To so you receive and get it Deposited in your bank.
Your Phone Numbers.
 
Many Thanks.
Daniel.

I got one better than that. This is extortion. I forwarded this to the FBI;

Hello, I know your password: truedged

Your computer was infected with my malware, RAT (Remote Administration Tool), your browser wasn't updated / patched, in such case it's enough to just visit some website where my iframe is placed to get automatically infected, if you want to find out more - Google: "Drive-by exploit".

My malware gave me full access and control over your computer, meaning, I got access to all your accounts (see password above) and I can see everything on your screen, turn on your camera or microphone and you won't even notice about it.

I collected all your private data and I RECORDED YOU (through your webcam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!

After that I removed my malware to not leave any traces.

I can send this video to all your contacts (email, social network), on the whole web, I can publish absolutly everything I found on your computer!

Only you can prevent me from doing this and you know that's no joke - you got the proof above!

Transfer exactly 1200$ with the current bitcoin (BTC) price to my bitcoin address.

It's a very good offer, compared to all that horrible shit that will happen if I publish everything!

You can easily buy bitcoin here: www.paxful.com , www.coingate.com , www.coinbase.com , or check for bitcoin ATM near you, or Google for other exchanger.
You can send the bitcoin directly to my address, or create your own wallet first here: www.login.blockchain.com/en/#/signup/ , then receive and send to mine.

My bitcoin address is: 12EMaHiZG75ztkjUjuPZhQDcyW89qRJVuR

Copy and paste my address, it's (cAsE-sEnSEtiVE)

I give you 3 days time pay.

As I got access to this email account, I will know if this email has already been read.
If you get this email multiple times, it's to make sure that you read it, my mailer script is configured like this and after payment you can ignore it.
After receiving the payment, I will remove everything and you can life your live in peace like before.

Next time update your browser before browsing the web.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rled2005 said:

I got one better than that. This is extortion. I forwarded this to the FBI;

Hello, I know your password: truedged

Your computer was infected with my malware, RAT (Remote Administration Tool), your browser wasn't updated / patched, in such case it's enough to just visit some website where my iframe is placed to get automatically infected, if you want to find out more - Google: "Drive-by exploit".

My malware gave me full access and control over your computer, meaning, I got access to all your accounts (see password above) and I can see everything on your screen, turn on your camera or microphone and you won't even notice about it.

I collected all your private data and I RECORDED YOU (through your webcam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!

After that I removed my malware to not leave any traces.

I can send this video to all your contacts (email, social network), on the whole web, I can publish absolutly everything I found on your computer!

Only you can prevent me from doing this and you know that's no joke - you got the proof above!

Transfer exactly 1200$ with the current bitcoin (BTC) price to my bitcoin address.

It's a very good offer, compared to all that horrible shit that will happen if I publish everything!

You can easily buy bitcoin here: www.paxful.com , www.coingate.com , www.coinbase.com , or check for bitcoin ATM near you, or Google for other exchanger.
You can send the bitcoin directly to my address, or create your own wallet first here: www.login.blockchain.com/en/#/signup/ , then receive and send to mine.

My bitcoin address is: 12EMaHiZG75ztkjUjuPZhQDcyW89qRJVuR

Copy and paste my address, it's (cAsE-sEnSEtiVE)

I give you 3 days time pay.

As I got access to this email account, I will know if this email has already been read.
If you get this email multiple times, it's to make sure that you read it, my mailer script is configured like this and after payment you can ignore it.
After receiving the payment, I will remove everything and you can life your live in peace like before.

Next time update your browser before browsing the web.

*It's an old password that I don't use anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2019 at 10:07 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I have an extremely good nose for scams. You would not believe the things people have tried to pull over on me in over 35 years in retail. There is something not right about that whole Moe thing but if the people involved won't contact the authorities in Bethel to figure it out then there is nothing more I can do there.

Steve, I got stiffed with Postal Money Orders. The Post Office did squat to investigate. The scammer got his money cashed and split. Probably to another state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rled2005 said:

Steve, I got stiffed with Postal Money Orders. The Post Office did squat to investigate. The scammer got his money cashed and split. Probably to another state.

I am sorry to hear that but good to know. Unfortunately nothing is 100% these days. Though by the way you are wording it you seem to be saying you paid with money orders and got ripped off? That I can see easily happening and I would not expect the Post Office to do anything about that. I mean that if you take a Postal Money Order they are generally safer than, for instance, a certified bank check. I still do not and won’t worry about taking Postal Money Orders, just did this week as a matter of fact. But mailing them as payment is no safer than mailing cash and I did not mean to imply otherwise.

I still prefer PayPal overall as long as you don’t purposefully override the built in protections by opting for family and friends to save a few bucks. Completely defeats the purpose of using PayPal in my opinion. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...