You could require a phone # and physical address for people placing ads on the admin side hidden from the public. That might discourage some the scammers. 

• Like 1

And then I have to verify it how? It's a free service I offer and I am doing more than most out there to deter scammers but the bottom line is it is 100% on the purchaser as far as I am concerned. There are very simple ways to protect yourself but people are easily hooked with offers of good deals and common sense goes out the window. I can't be responsible for any of that, and as a free service if I am to be some kind of 24/7 monitoring service..... kiss the Classifieds goodbye.

I appreciate the suggestion, truly, but I think we just had a couple isolated incidents. There were no issues here for years and I am sure this will pass. The scammers do get the message that there are easier forums etc. to go after than mine.

• Like 2

I'm still hoping Moe is OK, although at this point I guess I'd rather he be a scammer than lost out in the cold somewhere, likely dead.  It's a real puzzle what happened there, he didn't seem to be the type and there was no need for there to be a scam for such low value gear.  It just doesn't make sense.  😞

I have an extremely good nose for scams. You would not believe the things people have tried to pull over on me in over 35 years in retail. There is something not right about that whole Moe thing but if the people involved won't contact the authorities in Bethel to figure it out then there is nothing more I can do there.

I agree you shouldn't have to babysit the service. Perhaps people can do their exchange with PayPal and use the PP protection. The transactions should not be your responsibility. Overall you got a good crowd here. 

• Like 1

I use Paypal as do most. But some people insist on Family & Friends, which removes all protections. The ads are just ads - people have to use whatever payment methods make them comfortable. me, PayPal verified address only or postal money orders. Bank certified checks are completely worthless. Perfect counterfeits exist of these and personal checks. Thieves avoid postal money orders as a rule because of the severe federal penalties and they have extra layers of protection including a verification service.

• Like 2

• Similar Content

• By Danny Atherton
      Hey guys, 
      My first time posting here, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules! 
      My mother recently took some of her old gold jewelry to be melted down into a bracelet. While she was there the jeweler pulled out one of her bracelets saying it was too valuable and shouldn't be melted down. So that's got me trying to find out more about it and what type of chain it is.
      So far no luck! I thought you guys might know something and have some suggestions whether she should sell it or not! 
      Cheers! 
      Danny. 

• By leon
      Hi
      Neighbor lost a 3/4 carat diamond earing w/small white gold post.
      I tried my old Eagle ll sl  & Bounty hunter 101 but they don't seem to be sensitive enough.
      Any suggestions??
    • By jinmon
      Saw some neato rocks in the Cajon Pass Area by the train tracks. I suspect this is a byproduct of the railroad somehow but wasn’t sure what they could be so I figured I’d share and someone smart would recognize it!
      As you can see, the first rock is chocolate-glazed. The third pic is of a clear sugar-glazed rock  - much harder to see the glaze because it’s clear, just take my word for it. 
      What could’ve caused this? I suspect heat was involved but past that I’m clueless. 😁 Thanks in advance!

• By 1911Colt
      Hey, I'm new here, but I come here time to time to read, you all are a knowledgeable bunch it seems.  I have for a couple years been on the search for an alleged cache of gold coins, in a jar or something similar. It's a solid story, I've done my research, etc.  I am currently looking into a GPX 4500 for the hunt. I had bought a CTX 3030 and learned it for a few months, but I buried some test targets (using bottles of nickels, or pennies), and the damned thing was nearly worthless past 12" deep, a $2500 toy in my opinion.  Most caches are said to be found at 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep, and I'd say 3 feet wouldn't be out of the question here.  Any informed opinions welcome, thank you!
    • By auBurkey
      I consider myself freshwater gold jewelry hunter with a focus on gold chains. I have used Tesoro Stingray II models for the past 20 something years and have decided to purchase either an Equinox 800, a Makro Gold Kruzer, or maybe one of the Multi's. I prefer the first 2 models because of their high frequencies but not having used either, I don't know if 40 or 61 khz. offer any significant advantages over a machine running in the 12-20 khz. range. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter. I tend to keep my detectors for a while so reliability/durability is somewhat of a consideration. If you have any other waterproof detector considerations you'd like to suggest feel free.
      Thank you,
      auBurkey
    • By Tnsharpshooter
      https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-tech-tip-best-settings-for-silver-hoard-hunting