Sign in to follow this  
Sourdough Scott

Whopping Price For Meteor

Scary Space art.

wow, I thought that every meteorite had been found long ago from that crater.  I have been there, incredible to see. I  have been to the visitor center where they have several meteors on display.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By snakejim
      Is there anyone still hunting for meteorites in this area? I'm in Roswell and spoke to Skip Wilson (famous meteorite hunter in Portales, NM), years ago. I just never found time to go look myself.
    • By LE.JAG
      Hi,
      you may already be talking about it, but I still put some photos
      two large meteorites discovered in France

the first goes back to 2010  (Mont-Dieu)
      on an old impact site, in the forest
      who gave a few years ago a 435 kilos (1994)
      it is 364 kg / discovered by a prospector with a PI (siderite)

and another discovery late 2018
      again, on a known impact site (since 1968)
      it is the biggest piece discovered to date and the reccord of France
      477 kg / contains 11% nickel
      discovery also with a PI

with this piece of 477 kilos and all the others discovered since 1968
      the impact site to deliver nearly 6 tons ...

• By garikfox
      Hello everyone. I'm new here and have been studying about this new hobby for a month or so. Yesterday i ordered/received my first ever detector the Equinox 800 and added the 6 in. coil. (i'm targeting Gold)
      I've lived in AZ all my life and currently live in Queen Creek. I'm looking to make my first hunt near Hayden, AZ, 75 miles SE of my home location.
      I also joined a prospecting club, The Roadrunner's Prospector's Club. My first hunt site will be on a RRPC claim.
      RRPC has 31 claims in this area. Below is a aerial view of what their claim areas look like. I'm hoping to head out there in a few weeks, It's going to be HOT!

• By Andyy
      So I titled this as such because when it gets especially hot (here in Arizona) I start my hunts at midnight and go thru until the morning until about 8am.  For me, this offers multiple benefits.  There is more time with the family on weekends, which for me is #1; I cherish this more than gold.  And secondly, if it is hot out, I cannot keep my ground balanced, as some put it.  When it starts getting hot, I would tend not to look as hard and rush through areas. 

Anyways, back to the gold.  I was in a wash last week when I ran into some pretty good gold.   I found 11 small pcs adding up to almost 4 grams.  Now, for my night hunts, I won’t go every weekend, I usually skip 1 or two so that I get my sleep cycle working again.  But then there is Mother’s Day coming up and so my wife briefly mentioned that I should go this weekend, too.  An hour later I am charging batteries.  She walks by and says, “wow, you really have the fever don’t you”.   I just laughed.    She knows me.  She has seen me prospecting for 5 years and put up with it for 5 years.  One of the best decisions I made was marrying her.  I explain all of this because it was nice to come home and show her the source of the fever. 

So I went back to this area with my GPZ and started walking through more washes I had marked out on my gps.  Nothing for the first one, but the second one, I got a nice strangely shaped 2.75 grammer.  Now, I can kinda see a patten on my gps when I look at my finds.  I finish the wash and go to a wash that is in the direction of the gold distribution.  Good topography … I am in.  First couple of minutes of slow hunting in this wash yields, nothing.  And then I start focusing on a bench that is maybe a foot higher than the rest of the wash… and I get a signal.  A clear, still loud, but smooth signal.  My heart jumps as I begin to dig.  The dirt just fell away until 15-16” I hit gravel.  By now the target was booming.  I scrape the gavel back with my pick and I see a large piece of gold flip out!  It replays in my mind over and over.  Needless to say, you may have heard my scream at 2:15 in the morning (Arizona time).  LOL.

From there the gold kept coming.   I got a couple more pieces farther up the wash and then came back and placered the area for a couple more little ones missed by depth.  Wide range of sizes.  THAT is why I love the GPZ.    And it was nice to see my wifes face change to a smile when she felt the .86oz chunk fall into her hand.  Priceless.  All in all, my findings came to just over 1oz.  Who needs sleep ...

Andyy

• By DolanDave
      Last weekend a couple of friends and I got out for a meteorite hunt to Franconia Arizona. I found 2 Chondrites weighing 29 and 98 grams. A few small H metal irons, a nice piece of rose colored Chalcedony, and a .50 casing with 43 date stamped. It got past 100, heat is already coming....
      Dave

• By Maine
      Hello, Can anyone tell me if this is a meteorite? It is the first “possible” meteorite I have found, so excuse me if this sounds somewhat ignorant.
      I found it on the coast in DownEast, Maine. I did the only tests I know of, which are magnet and porcelain; it is magnetic and does not mark unglazed porcelain. It weighs 6.5 oz. Help.
      Thank you for your input!