Grey Ghost Ndt And Other Hp's Compatability And Performance With Nox 800

Hi fellow detectorists,

I used the WM-08 for the first time yesterday.  Before this i was using 2 methods, the Bluetooth supplied e phones (Very slow lag) and then the wired setup directly into the nox.  Trouble was with the wired, i kept getting tangled up, and ripping the phones from my noggin! 

The WM-08 setup was great, fast, comfortable and defo thew way to go!!

And so im looking at getting some new "high quality" and "high performance" Head phones.  In the running so far are:

Grey Ghost NDT

Black Widows

And this one intrigued me ....  Clear sound Sovereign (sold at detecknicks)   Although it makes me wonder, as the company that makes them seemingly based in the netherlands, however another company "C-Scope" seem to sell the same phones, but with their own brand??  Weird, perhaps generic??  If so... where are they made?? China???   HELP!!! lol

Bose

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, i did do a search, but couldnt see too much about this.

Thanks guys n gals!! 

Andy.

53_clearsignalhponbox_large.jpg

lknjlkhjp.jpg

jbkjbijk.jpg

I used Gray Ghosts for a very long time - excellent headphones. But switched to Sun Ray Pro Gold (CTX version) because they are specially wired to work with Minelab detectors (and anything else, stereo or mono)....

metal-detector-headphones-quarter-inch-cSun Ray Pro Gold CTX version (CTX, GPZ, GM1000, Equinox)

There is a compatibility issue as regards the Equinox external speaker. If headphones and adapters are not wired correctly the speaker will keep going even with headphones plugged in. The headphones above compensate for this. Here is the Minelab article on the subject. As far as I know this applies to the CTX 3030, GPZ 7000, Gold Monster 1000, and both Equinox models.

minelab-ctx-gpz-wireless-module-headphon
Minelab headphone wiring diagram

• Thanks 1

Appreciate that info Steve, thank you.

Yeah this relates to the compatibility issue of the 3.5mm headphone jack as well I believe.   I wish minelab would standardise their ports, because it seems i now have to buy an adaptor for £40.00 from (Joan Allen) if i wish to use with grey Ghosts. 

I am going to look at these sun rays now, cheers Steve!

Andy. 

I agree with Steve .... you cant beat the ProGold.  Great clearcrisp tones.  BUT..... if you take a look at the specs on almost any top quality phones they have the same specs..... odd huh?   Black widow can be the loudest, but they also have the best MUFFS for noise reduction.  You can match that by adding a pair of aircraft jel muffs to about any.    For dirt machines........ i highly recommend volume controls.... you want the machine to produce as much volume on the target.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the Gray Ghost NDT . But the Soeverein are sold at Detecnicks and might be a backup if i need it . Never heard of the C.Scope version .

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nuke em said:

I use the Gray Ghost NDT . But the Soeverein are sold at Detecnicks and might be a backup if i need it . Never heard of the C.Scope version .

Hya Nuke.  Good to meet you

Yeah buddy!  I settled with the NDT Ghosts, just got em yesterday evening.  I had to buy the very costly "equinox adaptor" at £40.00!!!   But it is a quality adaptor, screws into the WM-O8 and of course the ghosts has a lovely clip in socket.  They are very nice.

The sound is awesome, simply stunning.   I tried em on my laptop last night (without adaptor) and i could hear the mic tones, and background noises like i was sitting in the room. 

Yesterday i found more coinage than i ever have in a day, whether that was luck, or better tones??  Im inclined to think it was better tones.

I take it you had to buy the adaptor too then? I assume you use em with the nox?

Andy.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, Andy2640 said:

Appreciate that info Steve, thank you.

Yeah this relates to the compatibility issue of the 3.5mm headphone jack as well I believe.   I wish minelab would standardise their ports, because it seems i now have to buy an adaptor for £40.00 from (Joan Allen) if i wish to use with grey Ghosts. 

I am going to look at these sun rays now, cheers Steve!

Andy. 

The grey ghost NDTs have a removable cord.  Here in the states you can order them with a cord terminated with a 3.5 mm plug, no adapter needed. Surprised you are finding noticeable lag with the supplied BT headphones.  They are low latency and should add no more than about 10 to 15ms delay (~35 ms) vs. WM08 (20ms), while normal BT is at about 100ms or more.  Not sure you would gain t hat much more fidelity using the NDTs vs. using the BT phones in wired mode + the WM08.  But since you got the NDTs, you can compare now.