Dan Fox

Marketing Obviously Didn't Consult Engineering

If the Equinox will obsolete all single frequency detectors why does it have the option to run as a single frequency machine?

Surely this means in this mode the Equinox will obsolete itself!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dan Fox said:

If the Equinox will obsolete all single frequency detectors why does it have the option to run as a single frequency machine?

The engineers were smart enough to include single frequencies for those rare situations that may occur. They also may have considered the fact that there are detectorists that will want single frequency control as an option, for better or worse. I don't know if you posted your question in humor or not and I'm wondering if you have an Equinox? I am one of those seasoned detectorists that is happy to dive into the machines I use and appreciate the ability to control my own destiny with a new machine. I think Minelab got the electronics correct, but not so much on the cosmetics (stand, cuff, shaft locks) As far as marketing goes, it has been discussed here before and most detectorists decide for themselves how good a machine is, with no thought given to the marketing hype.

• Like 4

Most of us moved on from flogging that ridiculous marketing catch line about a year ago.  Thanks for the nostalgia.  If you have a real question, we're all ears.

• Like 4

From a beach standpoint...... it may not obsolete all of them.... but it sure will put a hurting on them...... oddly i think its going to hurt most water machines that are 2 to 3 times its price..... meaning the Xcal and CTX.   Single freq is VERY good in the dry sand...... unlike other single freqs...... the modes/algorithms may well set it apart when using them.... for both depth and sensitivity.   Its weak point might be the that large coil.....  not quit the depth people were looking for..... so some machines with more coil options may well be its equal on the dry sand.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dan Fox said:

How can it obsolete other machines if it doesn't do what other machines can do?

I actually agree with the statement, for all intents and purposes the Equinox has obsoleted other VLF machines. I have a couple other machines I keep for nostalgia and backup simply because I like them, but if I had to buy, or recommend one VLF that would do the best job over a range of unknown conditions it would have to be the Equinox.

• Like 5

...Multifrequency is a more versatile technology-the operator has the ability to work very well in a wide variety of terrain conditions than a 1-frequency detector.. .... Determine .. Another detector development will be directed to Bi-Multifrequency Detectors ... 2 or more -different weighted  multifrekquency programs will work...at one time...

• Like 4

The measure of marketing is not by how truthful it is. It’s all about how long people talk about an ad. By that measure the “obsolete” statement was the most successful advertising campaign in metal detector history. Minelab is still getting mileage out of the ad even now. Every time there is a mention after all this time just proves the power of the campaign. Competitors even mentioned the ad in their ads, which is giving Minelab free advertising!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

That's also how it works in politics

• Like 1

Soooo are we saying even bad press is good press lol?

I heard it goes 30% deeper!!