Beach Finds 04-01-20

Nuke em

First , Happy New Year to everyone .

Today I had the chance to go out for the first time this year. 

Last year my total finds were £1632.53p in coinage , 1 returned Platinum ring , 13 Gold rings (1 returned) and 44 Silver rings and around 20 other Silver items and 20 junk rings of all types, Titanium , Tungsten , Steel etc . I searched 72 times for around 500 hours in total , maybe a bit more .

This year I have set myself a much lower total due to commitments doing decorating which will take some time and not having the time to get out as much also because of my Oz Holiday soon . Work also gets in the way with shift work . 

Today I got my Nox with the big coil on and the 11 in coil in my rucksack and  went to the beach at 5am by Bus and got to the beach just before 6am . I checked out the first 2 beaches and found that someone else was detecting in the distance in front of me as I saw his headtorch . I in any case searched in his tracks and found a few missed coins .  When I got to the end of the second beach and crossed over to the next beach it was getting lighter and I saw it looked a lot better and detected the areas that looked best , I didn't see many holes but started to find targets here and there . That carried on for around a mile over 3 hours and before I stopped I found a large Silver ring . Where I stopped there are public toilets so I cleaned up my gear and switched coils to the 11 inch so I could search better between the Iron nails that litter the beach .

I counted up before starting back and it was £55.15p and some foreign coins and a George V Penny and the Silver ring . I started back and found targets I missed but it was mostly quiet so I must have hammered it quite hard but shortly before I finished at 11.45am I found another Silver ring and a George Vi Penny and a George Vi Half Penny and a very worn Victoria Half Penny . 

My total for this search was £65.31p , 2 Silver rings , the 4 Pre Decimal UK coins and 5 Foreign coins and a Decimal 1970's Half Penny (discontinued 1982-3) .

I have set myself a target of £700 , 6 Gold and 20 Silver rings for this year , more will be a bonus . But as cash is now getting very rare due to the cashless society I will be surprised if I find many fresh loses this year . I will also do 50 hunts unless I can get more in . Believe me it might take 50 trips to get my target ! How times have changed :(

As for the Nox . I don't find it the most informative machine to use , target info is a bit poor . But I do have to admit that if the trash levels are not to high its a good machine to use . I have been using the 15 inch coil a few times and I find that coil the best for the machine . Normally I find the stock 11 inch coils are the best for most machines but I find the 15 inch coil is the best for the Nox . It gives it a bit more depth and I find its capable even in amongst the Iron nails better than the 11 inch coil !! . Maybe its settings but I use very low reactivity . 

I also find that the new V2 software has made it easier to tell not only Crown caps with I have been finding less but it gives better signals on Aluminium bits or blobs , I makes them scratchy on my settings most of the time. I do dig many of them just to be sure of them but I seem to suss them nearly all the time . 

My next search will be on Monday night from 9pm till 3am or about .

1) £65.31p FOUND 04-01-20 EQ.JPG

Your beach search hours were right in line with mine when I hunted So Cal beaches.  Nice coin finds! GaryC/Oregon Coast

Great hunt even if you were following someone else. Keep up the good work and keep us informed.

I am certain that I had much more than the other person , unless he had a Gold ring ? But I didn't see the sign that Gold would be found . The beach needs a lot more taken off yet for that if older stuff like Gold is to be found . He was leaving targets all over the place , even near his holes .

Unless you are very used to night hunts its a hazard of night hunting , you cannot always see what the good areas are . 

I don't think he was using a Minelab , most other machines don't have very good tones and many good targets are left thinking they are pull tabs / ring pulls . I leave nearly nothing . But with a Minelab you get a better idea of targets and can take an educated guess at times .

Wow, that seems like quite a few coins for only those 2 rings on the recent hunt.  I would have expected to see some GGG?  That is part of why we enjoy detecting as you never really know.

I also like how you keep track of your finds, the total coin counts/amounts and the rings.  As you know it is always good karma to return a ring when possible.  Keep it up.

9 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Wow, that seems like quite a few coins for only those 2 rings on the recent hunt.  I would have expected to see some GGG?  That is part of why we enjoy detecting as you never really know.

I also like how you keep track of your finds, the total coin counts/amounts and the rings.  As you know it is always good karma to return a ring when possible.  Keep it up.

I have picture records back to 2013 and written records since 2007.

Gold is quite hard to find, a mate says on those beaches we search that its 1 Gold for every 7 Silver. Since 2013 its been around 4 Silvers for me. 

Hopefully tonight will be a Gold night.

Wow!!! I enjoyed reading your post. You are a committed detectorist for sure. 

Congrats on your success !!!!

What were your settings, if you don't mind? 

2 hours ago, Happa54 said:

Wow!!! I enjoyed reading your post. You are a committed detectorist for sure. 

Congrats on your success !!!!

What were your settings, if you don't mind? 

Thanks .

I will put my settings on here tomorrow with my next beach finds . 

Saw some else searching earlier whilst driving past but the tide was on the way in . If he hasn't been where i have then i might be in for another good search . But that depends on the weather and the waves . Its a bit choppy and from the wrong way.