Helped My First Person Metal Detecting!

So the other day my neighbor told me she lost part of her rosary when she was walking her dog.  It was a multitude of events where her phone rang, kids ran out and the dog kind of pulled off enough that when she took her hand out of her pocket fast, it broke and flew across the grass near the sidewalk.  She was able to find most of it but could not find the a piece that had a little cross on it with part of the chain and beads.  This rosary really meant a lot to her.  My neighbors know that I metal detect for gold but they did not ask me at first and tried themselves to find it, even going to point of borrowing a metal detector from their relatives.   When they came back empty handed and I saw them in the driveway they told me the story.  I said you should have just asked me, I would love to help!  Plus for me I thought that this would be like leveling up in metal detecting skill set.  I only hunt for jewelry when I go to FL to visit my folks, so I only get in maybe a few weeks of that.  Plus I rarely detect in the parks, I just don't like all the people.  So I wanted to know if I could really do this.  So I asked her to show me some of the other parts of her rosary so I could get hear what the signal sounded like, what kind of ID number would show up, and how much sensitivity to use since it should be a surface find (it was only lost for a couple of days).  Well I knew this was going to be a challenge cause the little cross came up around 15 and the chain was ferrous, I think it was a -4 all on the Equinox.  I was not sure if the cross and the chain were still connected.  Well when I got to the area she lost it, there was so much trash and EMI plus I could not discriminate because I was not sure if they were still connected or not, but i persevered.  Knowing that I would not have to dig, helped eliminate a lot of targets too.  Anyways it only took me about 20 mins and I found it!  The cross was still connected to the chain, and when the signal came up it was a double blip of those exact numbers!  I looked down and there it was.  She was so excited and thankful and I was just as excited for her and knowing that I could do it!  It was an absolute great feeling to help her out, I felt on top of the world at that moment.  I would even say I felt a bigger high finding that for her vs when I find a nugget!  Anyways here the pic.

IMG_3973.jpg

You both look happy. Good work and I agree helping someone is one of the best feelings you can have. My parents taught me it is a privilege when you are given the opportunity to help. Lucky you.

24 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

I would even say I felt a bigger high finding that for her vs when I find a nugget!

Dude...you just haven't found a big enough nugget yet...😀

I'm kidding, of course, but you're right - the warm & fuzzies generated by recovering a lost item for someboody absolutely rivals finding a gold nugget...even a big one. Well done, amigo!

Brian,  I'll have to say that is the best find you have made so far in your detecting career.  Yes the gold you found on my Field Training trip is what helped you realize it is doable, but this is one of those times when you Sir, get to tip your hat to yourself.  I too enjoy a challenge and in instances like this, when you are not familiar with the object being hunted or the style of detecting, is what makes you stronger in the long haul.

Great story, fantastic pic and even more impressed with you and how far you have come along in the MD'ing arena. 

Thanks for sharing.