Another Lake- Another Gold Chain

Compass

Tried a different lake today and only found a couple of dollars in clad but got my 6" coil over another gold chain. Shockingly to me, this one was also closed up and rang up a solid "1" TID. I had company as 2 other hunters got within 20 feet of me in a swim area that was ,at least, an acre in size. Seems like bad form to me but at least the one guy moved away when I said something to him. I didn't say anything to the other since I had just found the chain and crucifix which reminded me to be a little more tolerant and he moved on a short time after. 

IMG_20200921_125724.thumb.jpg.93357d6bd5026229dd6de757e7583b27.jpgIMG_20200921_143425__01.thumb.jpg.d63da3fe96d9a650ce439187df35296e.jpg

Loving the Nox for fresh water and wished I felt the same way about at the beach but those "Beach" modes on the Nox just aren't working for me- yet. GL&HH!

Excellent find on the chain and crucifix! I hunt 99% of the time in beach modes and they work just fine  for me!

• The title was changed to Another Lake- Another Gold Chain
1 hour ago, okara gold said:

Excellent find on the chain and crucifix! I hunt 99% of the time in beach modes and they work just fine  for me!

Thanks o.g., It might just be me. I do have a hearing impairment and the "beach" modes just don't belt out the tones like the "gold" modes do for me in fresh water. At the beach I have been using the Beach Hunter pulse which really hits hard and loud. I sure would like to use the Nox at the beach for its ability to find chains.

Fantastic find, I am going to have to get to a lake around here to give it a try.

I am still trying to learn this 800 and want to get something other than trash.

Good luck on your next hunt.

34 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Fantastic find, I am going to have to get to a lake around here to give it a try.

I am still trying to learn this 800 and want to get something other than trash.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Thanks! It's taken me a while to get to know the 800 and I'm still learning. It's the first programmable detector I've ever had and the first with a visual display. Water hunting takes some getting used to but can be pretty productive. Good luck! 

9 hours ago, Compass said:

I do have a hearing impairment and the "beach" modes just don't belt out the tones like the "gold" modes do for me in fresh water.

If you haven't tried it, experiment with different pitches (audio frequencies) for your beach mode.  (I assume you've already adjusted the individual tone volumes, if they weren't set on max = 25, that is.)  I've noticed that in Park 1 (presumably the same audio electronics -- don't know about default pitches since I don't use them), some pitches come in louder than others for me, and it's not the obvious relationship of lowest or highest being best/worst.  I've found that some intermediate frequencies seem quiet (relatively speaking).  You get 25 to choose from!  My hearing is pretty good but obviously everyone's hearing deteriorates with age, mine included.  Thus I don't know whether its my specific hearing characteristics or the Equinox's circuitry, etc.  Can't hurt to experiment, though.  You can always do a mode-only factory reset if you don't find something you like.

29 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

If you haven't tried it, experiment with different pitches (audio frequencies) for your beach mode.  (I assume you've already adjusted the individual tone volumes, if they weren't set on max = 25, that is.)  I've noticed that in Park 1 (presumably the same audio electronics -- don't know about default pitches since I don't use them), some pitches come in louder than others for me, and it's not the obvious relationship of lowest or highest being best/worst.  I've found that some intermediate frequencies seem quiet (relatively speaking).  You get 25 to choose from!  My hearing is pretty good but obviously everyone's hearing deteriorates with age, mine included.  Thus I don't know whether its my specific hearing characteristics or the Equinox's circuitry, etc.  Can't hurt to experiment, though.  You can always do a mode-only factory reset if you don't find something you like.

Thanks GBA, I've played around with the Beach mode settings but need to look at them again. I just love the way that the Nox slams hard on targets in Gold mode and if I could get the detector to respond that way in Beach mode I would be thrilled.

20 minutes ago, Compass said:

I just love the way that the Nox slams hard on targets in Gold mode and if I could get the detector to respond that way in Beach mode I would be thrilled.

Gold mode is (AFAIK) similar to or even equivalent to what on many detectors is referred to as "all metal".  (BTW, even Dave Johnson is careful to not use a single term for this kind of mode.  He points out alternate titles:  "...All Metal Mode which may be variously desribed as 'single-filter', 'first derivative', 'autotune', or by trademarked names.")

My limited bench testing indicates the Eqx Gold modes find a USA 5-cent 'nickel' considerably deeper than other modes.  And its audio is unique among the 4 (8?) Equinox search modes.  That probably will mean it's impossible for you to set up either Beach mode to emulate Gold mode.

I know Chase likes to use this mode sometimes when searching battlefield sites.  (Thanks for the reminder as I need to make more use of it myself....)

18 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Gold mode is (AFAIK) similar to or even equivalent to what on many detectors is referred to as "all metal".  (BTW, even Dave Johnson is careful to not use a single term for this kind of mode.  He points out alternate titles:  "...All Metal Mode which may be variously desribed as 'single-filter', 'first derivative', 'autotune', or by trademarked names.")

My limited bench testing indicates the Eqx Gold modes find a USA 5-cent 'nickel' considerably deeper than other modes.  And its audio is unique among the 4 (8?) Equinox search modes.  That probably will mean it's impossible for you to set up either Beach mode to emulate Gold mode.

I know Chase likes to use this mode sometimes when searching battlefield sites.  (Thanks for the reminder as I need to make more use of it myself....)

My bench testing also shows that "Gold" mode is the deepest mode for gold chains. I know that I can't get the same performance in "Beach" mode but I believe that I can tweak the beach modes for a better result. I don't have the larger 15" Nox coil so maybe that would help too?