Could Have Found It With A Radio Shack

I've found a lot of patches over the years and a lot of the gold I've found once those patches were located could have been found with a lot of different detectors if they'd been checked.

My patch numbers increased hugely when the Minelab PI machines came for more than just the reason of removing a lot of ground noise, it was also down to the fact I could cover vastly more ground with larger coils that also had good sensitivity to smaller nuggets.

As an example, the SD 2000 although not that sensitive could easily pluck a 1 gram piece at a couple of inches from a full gallop swing speed in just about any ground type, whereas my old XT 17000 with a 20" DD coil would barely make a murmur unless the nugget was sitting right on the surface and you were crawling along.

Getting onto the gold location is paramount to doing well, then choose your weapon as the fun begins. Last year alone our team found 3 sun-bakers that a Dick Smith detector would have whopped on, the 2 ounce piece on my Outback Prospector page was not that deep either but was found because of a smattering 40 grams of littlies 20 metres away where a stringer had disseminated https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPorter.TheOutbackProspector/ . Both of those patches were found with the GPZ 7000 and were started by sub gram bits in real nasty ground, the tiny pieces started the patch thanks to the GPZs ability to make a "Dig Me" signal out of them which then lead to the easy gold. Its that reason alone I update to new technology because in the right ground it increases my chances of getting onto the sun-bakers which are real fun.

JP

Interesting discussion.

Earlier this year I found one nice sized nugget that any GPX should have found. I think I was just in a spot that no one had bothered to check.

Then a few months ago I found a deep specimen nugget that was classic GPZ gold. I think it was just too deep and porous for any GPXs to find.

So I think the hunt can go both ways; sometimes being on good ground can win the day and sometimes it's the technology.

This is why I keep upgrading, and having another go around old patches where I never had luck!

Quote,

"Both of those patches were found with the GPZ 7000 and were started by sub gram bits in real nasty ground, the tiny pieces started the patch thanks to the GPZs ability to make a "Dig Me" signal out of them which then lead to the easy gold. Its that reason alone I update to new technology because in the right ground it increases my chances of getting onto the sun-bakers which are real fun."  JP

No matter how you look at it the detectors are getting better. One only need get nostalgic and go use an old favorite from years ago to find that out. There really is no going back.

I always wondered about the Gardiner machines Chris. They looked powerful but we're very expensive for the time, and not many people seemed use them, so I never made the leap.

Had I not seen one in action, I doubt I would have bought one. But thats the reaction the Minelab VLF were getting also when they came out @ twice the price of the competition.  If it wasn't for a certain Lady, I think ML in the USA would have withered on the vine, she bailed out a shipment of 16,000's from customs then took over marketing them and built the brand here.

There is one very real aspect of running the latest and greatest as far as I am concerned. Real or not it gives me a feeling of confidence that all ground hunted before by myself or anyone else can now be treated as unhunted again. It is true that some places have been pounded to death, but just having that confidence and giving it another go often produces gold nuggets for me, not because the detector is really all that more powerful, but because I do manage to put my coil over something missed by dozens if not hundreds of other detectorists.

Very often it really is that latest and greatest technology that makes the difference, no doubt about that. But anyone thinking all the easier shallow to find stuff out there is gone just is not getting out and about enough in locations off the beaten path. Most of my gold found in Nevada this summer was in or near known locations, but I just put in lots of hours hunting, especially the perimeter areas, finding missed isolated nuggets here and there. Most would have been found by any prior GPX or GP detector with the right coil and settings. Many a VLF or SDC would have found.

And some for sure I think only a GPZ would have found.

More than anything though it is just that faith that what I have beats anything else that came before that makes me willing to hunt ground hunted a hundred times before, and it does indeed almost always result in more gold found. That, and I do think I have gotten better with age!

The easier to find, shallow stuff is definitely not all gone. The SDC is testament to that - new technology mopping up old, flogged patches (even off the beaten track) where I haven't had much if any success with various other detectors. I am very confident in it (in the right location)

Very often it really is that latest and greatest technology that makes the difference, no doubt about that. But anyone thinking all the easier shallow to find stuff out there is gone just is not getting out and about enough in locations off the beaten path. Most of my gold found in Nevada this summer was in or near known locations, but I just put in lots of hours hunting, especially the perimeter areas, finding missed isolated nuggets here and there. Most would have been found by any prior GPX or GP detector with the right coil and settings. Many a VLF or SDC would have found.

And some for sure I think only a GPZ would have found.

This has been my experience as well. Dug some shallow screamers anyone could have found but they were off the beaten path. And also dug some deep, spongy stuff right near the road that I think only the GPZ would find.