Installed The GPZ Upgrade

klunker

Disclaimer: My thoughts and opinions only.

The GPZ needs to be Ferrite balanced for optimal performance, when using the original software in some ground types the Ferrite balance could move about potentially degrading target responses. If the Ferrite balance had moved away from optimum then some components in the ground have the potential to generate noise which is counter-productive to finding gold. Some ground do not have much Ferrite like components so therefore not much noise will be produced however all ground has it to some degree.

Best policy is to upgrade to the new software and always use the Ferrite to make absolutely sure your detector is optimal at all times.

JP

I certainly wasn't expecting any miracles with the upgrade and after reading all the above posts I have a much better understanding about the purpose of the upgrades. We're about to get stormed out again so more experimenting will have to wait.

I don't know if the update had anything to do with it, but I just recently got finished doing a solid day of tests comparing the GPZ to the GPX on an array of different nugget sizes and geometries and contrasting it with the GPZ performance when I first bought the machine in March when I did a similar array of tests.

The GPZ is running way (way, way) quieter these days. I filmed my tests the first week I had my GPZ and it was so chattery I thought it was defective and my GPX was just purring along. Now, my GPZ runs substantially more stable both regarding EMI and ground noise than even my trusty old GPX.

It's weird how subtle changes over time go unnoticed, but referring back to my original video there is no doubt the machine is running far more stable than it did at first and I don't know if it has to do with the update or just the computer adjusting to the use and different conditions over time or what.