A Tenderfoot’s Tale - Part 1

This post is for all you lurkers and newbies.

In December, I won a Barska Winbest Pro Edition in a church raffle. I always wanted a metal detector as a boy, but Santa never came through. But as they say, “It’s never to late to have a happy childhood.” Shortly thereafter, I found this website and started reading about the hobby.

May 13 was a beautiful day, so I unboxed my new toy, plugged in an old pair of iPhone earbuds, and headed off to a nearby park. I didn’t have high expectations. First, because I had looked the Winbest up on Amazon and knew it retailed for under $70. Second, because the park is less than 25 years old and has no concession stands. It’s a sports field with a tot lot, a Fitcore station, soccer field, baseball diamond and tennis courts. How much loot could there be?

I hit the Fitcore lot first, since maybe people would drop stuff while working out. More importantly, the lot is surfaced with wood chips, which would make digging and refilling holes a lot easier. Being a rookie, I had read on this website to set the detector to “all metal” and dig every target until I learned how my machine worked. So I started swinging.

Minutes later, I heard my first signal. I scratched through the wood chips and out popped a 1995 penny! I couldn’t believe my eyes. Seeing old Abe staring up at me was quite a thrill. Over the next hour, I dug up 9 pieces of trash. But I didn’t mind. I was gaining confidence in my detector, since each time I heard a signal there was something down there.

()834E2752-5479-4657-B48E-BB73EA06868B.thumb.jpeg.00a68887b24c5e5a64fc9cbca0272154.jpeg

The Detector Deities were looking out for me that day. If I had found the trash first, I would never have persevered long enough to find that penny. The Winbest would have gone to the thrift shop and the day would soon be forgotten.

I hit the Fitcore and tot lots a few times more, and found a few more pennies and some broken toys. But the problem was not the slim pickings but the fact that a lot of people used the playgrounds. I didn’t want to attract attention or make a nuisance of myself, so I reluctantly headed off to the empty soccer field.

Reluctantly, because, I mean, how much stuff can there be on the sidelines of a soccer field? (To be continued…)

It was only a memorial penny now.  But within a few weeks, it will be wheat pennies.   Then in a few months, it'll be Indian head cents.   By the end of the  year, it will be large cents.  BUCKET LISTERS WILL FLY PAST !   And within a few years :  Any gold coin *newer* than 1850 will bore you to tears !  🤩

I remember finding my first penny with a Garrett Groundhog VLF/TR machine back in 1988🙂 I was hooked and like Tom said, it's only the beginning of a great journey, have fun!!

Your first coin is always special and gives a person hope of greater things to come. Be assured that in time you will come across many more items that will keep you going back to hunt some more. Coins today, rings and things tomorrow.

Sidelines are a good place to find coins and items so keep up the good work.

11 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Sidelines are a good place to find coins and items . . .

Wait for Part 2 of “A Tenderfoot’s Tale” 😉

The anticipation is killing me Paul!! Spit it out already!!🤣😂