Hunt Went To The Dogs

Finally got around to getting permission to mow a circle in a farm where an old house stood. The grass was at least 12" tall making it tough to search it.

Beautiful day, started in the 50s, went up to 75, nice breeze, not a cloud in the sky. Loaded up my off road mower and drove down to the farm.20211020_102759.thumb.jpg.c02dc6f1bd76510a976bcc59b93a57fa.jpg

Only took about an hour to mow the place, I blew all the grass out of the circle. Cut it down to around 4", and also mowed the sides and center of the road. The circle is about an acre. The house stood off to the left. 20211020_104215.thumb.jpg.f665ba9954fbcf4b220b753fb3fd088c.jpg

I didn't really start finding a lot until the afternoon, mostly digging molten metal, bits of junk, pull tabs and beer cans.

Here are the finds, all clad/memorials but for one 1930 wheat penny, and 6 Zincolns. I think I found where the front door was, I dug the keys and then started finding spills of coins, one had at least 6:20211020_190506.thumb.jpg.e7da5b304689728084986a4dae4ff4c1.jpg

My favorite find of the day was this tag, at first I thought it was a holed large cent but it turned out to be this:20211020_190412.thumb.jpg.cf07081432218ee196b9beaded10a492.jpg

1930s "Tail Waggers Club" ID tag. TWC started in England in 1929, quickly spread to the US. Apparently from looking at pictures of other tags this is a very low number so it's one of the originals. TWC was a charity for animal rescue and was very successful. It still exists in some form today. It says "I Help My Pals".20211020_190423.thumb.jpg.82bd28972b2fc69ca59fe6fe9fdb3a97.jpg

Bonus: they came to till the place in the afternoon, so now I don't have to worry about corn stalks and can find the other 5 buildings.

14 minutes ago, rod-pa said:

nice work, sir.  i mowed a spot in the middle of a field with push mower once.  I pronounce you addicted as well 🙂

I pretty much cherry picked it previously, got one silver coin at least. It wasn't easy to search because of the tall grass, so it was an easy choice for me. I may do this at other places as well. They bush hog them but not well.

That's funny that they tilled the same day you mowed! Is there a reason they don't till the circle up too, and make it part of the field? Too hard packed?? I'm sure that you will pick up some more goodies there!!👍👍

20 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

That's funny that they tilled the same day you mowed! Is there a reason they don't till the circle up too, and make it part of the field? Too hard packed?? I'm sure that you will pick up some more goodies there!!👍👍

It is a home site and a great place to park farm equipment. Each place they own has a similar spot. We're talking hundreds of acres. The owner has tried to think of all the places on his properties where farmhouses stood. He has a couple more, and I've found houses they didn't know about 😁

That's awesome! Great resource!!👍👍

Another nice find and I am glad that you saved the tag.

Good luck on your hunting and get some more good saves like those.

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

The owner has tried to think of all the places on his properties where farmhouses stood. He has a couple more, and I've found houses they didn't know about 😁

do you use old maps?

strick

1 hour ago, strick said:

do you use old maps?

strick

Yes, USGS topos from the 1800s until they didn't mark house locations anymore, and historicaerials.com. Helps a lot.