Nokta Legend Vs Equinox 800

• The title was changed to Nokta Legend Vs Equinox 800

Looks like with this combined with the Deus 2 Minelab is losing their dominance of the market.

The video should probably have been posted in the comparisons section of the forum rather than the Nokta exclusive area seeing it's a comparison video.

It's a shame a lot of the video he had so much glare on the screen the Target Id's were hard to see if at all, but when I could see them they seemed quite good.  As Nokta have said it appears like it might be a better value (in some countries) higher build quality alternative to an Equinox. So far so good and I'm glad to see videos starting to surface although somewhat restricted in what they can show by the looks of it.  The Nox is also at 23 sensitivity where as the Legend is at full sensitivity.

I have noticed with the Equinox on deep targets if you lift the coil off the ground even an inch or so they disappear, yet you can find the same target a few steps along that's even deeper than the air gap you were leaving and has a good signal.  I've never quite understood that but the air gap with a Nox can lose targets that you'd normally get at that depth.  With my CTX I can lift it right up off the ground and still get targets the Nox goes blind to if I do the same.  Fortunately unless there is long grass I don't normally need to swing with the coil off the ground but it is something you need to take note of with the Equinox, the Legend doesn't appear to be as noticeable with that problem.

I believe that's why they put a boost mode on the T2, although I've never owned a boost model T2.

Thanks Luis for posting this video by Iffy Signals who is a detectorist that I definitely trust. I have emailed and chatted online with him and he tells it like it is for his hunting conditions. His soil is moderately mineralized. That means it is mineralized enough to badly skew single frequency detector target IDs including other Nokta Makro models that Iffy Signals has tested.

So, even though the Legend has a different numerical target ID scale (0 to 60) from Nokta Makro's previous 0 to 99 scale, it was easy to see that all of the deep high conductor US silver and copper coin targets had very accurate IDs and tones similar to the Equinox. He was using default tone settings so like the Equinox 800 it is possible to adjust the Legend's tone breaks so that all of those silver targets will produce just one tone not the two different tones that were sounding since the IDs were straddling the medium high/high tone break point on both detectors. 

For me, the most important target was the US V nickel which is a non-ferrous low conductor 5 gram, 75% copper, 25% nickel coin that normally reads 12/13 on the Equinox with a medium low tone. The Equinox hit that target well. So did the Legend with its 22 ID and medium low tone. That was very impressive. The Racers,Simplex, Kruzers and Anfibios that I have tested and used on in the ground US nickel targets deeper than 4" have always up averaged them into the silver range. The Legend in all of the modes used detected the 8" V nickel accurately.

That was the type of testing I needed to see since I know where Iffy Signals detects and I have some experience with that dirt which is by no means mild. 

Nice video. Now I wish I could see the Legend in action using a 6" coil in a separation test against the Equinox. Really that is the only thing I'm interested in with the Legend is the 6" coil setup. If it outperforms the Equinox then it will be a perfect ghost town and gold nugget detector since the Deus 2 doesn't have a small coil available.

2 minutes ago, abenson said:

Nice video. Now I wish I could see the Legend in action using a 6" coil in a separation test against the Equinox. Really that is the only thing I'm interested in with the Legend is the 6" coil setup. If it outperforms the Equinox then it will be a perfect ghost town and gold nugget detector since the Deus 2 doesn't have a small coil available.

In the comments he indicates they're both very similar for separation, I would guess he's meaning with the 11" coils.

Legend.jpg.cd4cc948db64e11f055ccbed33dfbd4b.jpg

2 minutes ago, abenson said:

Yea I would assume the 11" coils is what he was talking about.

this might give some information

11 minutes ago, abenson said:

Agreed. The question for me using the Legend and the Deus 2 is, do these detectors have the hot ground capabilities of the Equinox 800 which will operate in just about any hot soil conditions. Where I often detect, most single frequency higher frequency VLF gold detectors will easily overload and are hard to ground balance. The Equinox 800 handles these areas easily even at sensitivity levels around 20 of 25 with no coil knock sensitivity and no obvious loss of target separation due to high iron mineralization masking using the 6" or Coiltek 10X5" coil. I did use the Gold Kruzer on these sites and it barfed badly even at low sensitivity levels and with ISAT cranked up using its smaller coils.

Hopefully, Nokta Makro's Legend has the "secret sauce" to internally adjust for these hot ground conditions using its Gold Field mode. By the way, the only other VLF that runs smoothly at these sites is the Deus 1 and ORX in their Gold modes.......go figure.

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

this might give some information

Thanks Phrunt! I can see where this is going. Looking like the Legend is going to give the Equinox a run for the money in the separation department. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Agreed. The question for me using the Legend and the Deus 2 is, do these detectors have the hot ground capabilities of the Equinox 800 which will operate in just about any hot soil conditions. Where I often detect, most single frequency higher frequency VLF gold detectors will easily overload and are hard to ground balance. The Equinox 800 handles these areas easily even at sensitivity levels around 20 of 25 with no coil knock sensitivity and no obvious loss of target separation due to high iron mineralization masking using the 6" or Coiltek 10X5" coil. I did use the Gold Kruzer on these sites and it barfed badly even at low sensitivity levels and with ISAT cranked up using its smaller coils.

Hopefully, Nokta Makro's Legend has the "secret sauce" to internally adjust for these hot ground conditions.

I have the same question Jeff and it hasn't been completely answered for me yet. Although iffy signals video was very helpful knowing what kind of soil he has.