** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

15 minutes ago, Cascade Steven said:

RV:  Is "all of the above" an option? 🤑

I will post more tomorrow.

8 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

THX GM' ,,,you're gonna hit pay dirt twice I predict.🤔

Once with the book and then the leftovers ! 

Going to look for the leftovers for sure,

JULY 29   1936

Part Two

In the early afternoon we had a quick meeting at camp, Sarge said the head of the snake had been cut off and now the body would die. Once again it was decided for Will and Jacob to guard the camp while the rest of us headed up the mountain. We checked our weapons and headed off on the long hike up towards the hooligans camp. It was clear that all other miners and prospectors had been driven off the mountain and their claims taken by the co operative. There were false claim signs all along the creek now that started just a half mile to the north of our mine. We knocked them down as we went up the mountain.

When we got to where the dam had been we could see no further sign of them trying to restore it. We went higher up and ran into one of the crews about three miles north of our camp. There were four men digging buckets near the creek. They had a long wooden tom set up. They looked startled and surprised to see us up there. John hollered at them asking who they stole that claim from? They just looked at each other. One of them said they were just doing what they were told. There were two rifles leaning against a tree not far from them. They saw all of the heavy weapons we carried and didn’t make any attempt to go for them. 

Sarge told them what had happened at the company office and their time as corrupt miners had ended. They wanted to go up to their camp and get their gear and said they would leave. Sarge told them they were leaving now and without their gear or rifles. He asked them how many more of them were up there. They told him there were 10 more men up at camp working on a cabin that was to be a company outpost.  We tied them up good and told them we’d be back for them. 

We continued up the mountain until we heard the sound of workers talking. It looked like the lot of them were busy constructing a log building. We didn’t see any sign of a guard.  Sarge told me and John to circle to the right through the woods and take cover about 100 feet or so from their camp. Sarge said he would circle around to the left and take a post while Ben covered the north ground above and behind them. He said to make sure we had higher ground than the thugs if possible. He would holler out to them In three minutes. That would give us time to get in position. He said that we would give them a chance to surrender but if they wanted a fight we would give them one.

TO BE CONTINUED ................

I hope you will have a special edition of your book published in SoftBank for this forum. Hopefully with a background sketch of you and your company, the history of your involvement with the claims and even a signature overleaf. 
Please allow me to buy a first edition. I’d like to read it sitting in a camp by a fire.

Thank you

4 minutes ago, Wasatchgold said:

I hope you will have a special edition of your book published in SoftBank for this forum. Hopefully with a background sketch of you and your company, the history of your involvement with the claims and even a signature overleaf. 
Please allow me to buy a first edition. I’d like to read it sitting in a camp by a fire.

Thank you

Most interesting and thank you.

JULY 29   1936

Part Three

I was in position and waiting when I heard Sarge holler out to the gang. He said they were surrounded by men with heavy weapons and their leaders at the office had been taken prisoner. He told them to throw down any guns and come forward with hands in the air and they would not be hurt. He said if they refused they would be shot or taken prisoner. I thought to myself that Sarge may think he is still in the war. 

One of the gang yelled back that he was a liar and they hadn’t taken anybody prisoner. He said they would run us off the mountain. Sarge hollered back saying they had 30 seconds to give up. Some of the gang had taken cover behind the cabin and some of them were still in front of it and a couple of them were inside the cabin. Sarge yelled out again that they were surrounded and said they had 10 seconds until all hell broke loose. There was no response from them.

Sarge hollered out to fire warning rounds over the cabin. Everyone opened up with some volleys and Ben let the Thompson rip into the sidewall of the cabin and Sarge did the same from his position on the west side. The men in the back started yelling don’t shoot and they were giving up. Sarge told them to walk over to the side of the cabin and lay on their bellies. That left two men inside and six men in the front who had taken cover behind logs as best they could. Sarge hollered out to throw down their weapons or he would open up with the BAR and cut them to pieces. He told them he had grenades and would blast them out of the cabin as well. 

The gang leader in the front yelled out that they were ready to fight. Sarge opened up and everyone else followed. The gang was trying to get off some shots from behind cover but Sarge had them pinned there and was spraying the logs with rounds. John and me were pumping in rounds from the other side. Ben fired the Thompson from the back splattering the back wall of the building. We had them hopelessly pinned down and had the high ground. If they didn’t give up they would be slaughtered. 

We heard them hollering out that they were giving up. They had no choice. Sarge told everyone to stop shooting and let them come forward. He told the two men in the cabin to come out. It was a sight to behold as all of them were laying flat on the ground on their bellies as Sarge frisked them while John and me held them at rifle point. 

Then Sarge cautiously walked up to the front of the building near the front door. He hollered out asking if anyone was still in there. There was no answer. He yelled last chance to come out if you are in there and he said he was going to toss in  a grenade. It looked like all was clear and Sarge went ahead and tossed in a grenade which partially blew out the back wall. That was the second time I saw him laugh.

We walked over to the prone thugs. Sarge called them cowards and said they didn’t have the guts to fight like men. He told them their leaders were also cowards and gave up without a fight and were long gone and never coming back. We tied their hands behind their backs. Sarge said they would be marched down the mountain where we had their friends captured. They would be held at our camp temporarily.

TO BE CONTINUED .............