7 Silver Weekend And A 1916? Merc!

It was cold, but all the snow is finally gone so I went to an old ballpark. This ballfield dates back to the mid 40s so I knew there had to be silver there. I had been there last summer but it was so hot I guess I couldn’t concentrate well enough on the signals because all I got was clad. Today I hit the same area and got three mercs. A 1940, 1942, and 1945.  I also got a very worn, no date slq.  I also got $7.96 in clad which included a 1971 half.  Halves are hard to come by for me so that was a nice surprise.  This was on Saturday.  

This puts me at five silvers for the year.  I checked last year’s log and I had 7 by this time.  I’m going back tomorrow so maybe I’ll get a couple more.  

So I went back Sunday and hit a hillside near the stands.  Not 20 minutes in and I hit a well worn merc.  Upon closer inspection it’s a 1916!  My first 1916. The backside was caked in a thin layer of mud and not having any water I just put it in my pocket and figured I’d wash it at home and hope for a D mintmark.  Before ending the day I got a ‘46 rosie and a ‘43 merc along with $5 something in clad.  This 7 silver weekend puts me at 8 for the year. 

Oh yeah, almost forgot.  When I got back home I washed off the backside of that 1916 merc. Low and behold I see remnants of a mint mark!   I run to get my lighted 16x magnifier and as hard as I tried I couldn’t make it into a D….it was an S.  Bummer!

1D58689F-0901-49A3-99A8-1158B84CCFEF.jpeg

187A2B46-9AB3-431D-84AF-1AC4F8AC2EB3.jpeg

E6C2E929-14BC-439D-AFF7-6511C186981D.jpeg

E20BD4CA-4E5B-455D-8F3E-73D40B80AA85.jpeg

F3E3E2DE-8C4F-4938-8244-DBFD9DB67983.jpeg

Nice finds! It's good to be getting out again. This coming week is promising. 👍 Did you get a ring too?

17 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice finds! It's good to be getting out again. This coming week is promising. 👍 Did you get a ring too?

Thanks!  Yeah, one of those junker mood rings. Rang up a solid 24 on the nox.   

7 silver coins in 2 days (and one is a quarter) -- I'd say that site has barely been detected, if at all.  Well done and I predict there are more oldies there to recover.  What's your Wheaties count?  Have you checked date+mm of those?

Are you discriminating out nickels?  Surely some Wartime (35% silver) in there, too, not to mention the potential for a key or semi-key date.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

7 silver coins in 2 days (and one is a quarter) -- I'd say that site has barely been detected, if at all.  Well done and I predict there are more oldies there to recover.  What's your Wheaties count?  Have you checked date+mm of those?

Are you discriminating out nickels?  Surely some Wartime (35% silver) in there, too, not to mention the potential for a key or semi-key date.

No disc. I dug 27 nickels altogether.  I was hoping for a war nick too because the place was built in 1946.  As far as wheaties, I dug 10.  They’re usually so toasted that I don’t check the dates on all of them. 

Congratulations on the great finds over the weekend and especially that 1916 Merc!  I'm thinking that you have some close to virgin ground there.  I would start gridding the area off and detect it from two directions and concentrate on those deep silver tones!  NCtoad are you using the Equinox?  Good luck when you get back in there.  

Great finds on the silver and the wheat's.

What part of the country are you in?

Good luck on your next hunt.