Another Good Deus 2 Day

Today I took the Deus 2 to one of my more difficult fields. It has a huge cell tower that absolutely obliterates the Equinox in certain places so I have to switch to single frequency. Chase brought his D2 here, noticed he wasn't complaining about interference from the tower. 20220404_092551.thumb.jpg.e735eef60caedb8d67284c53cc41a902.jpg

It's a lot closer than it looks. I only got a regular chirp from the tower rather than the crazy stuff, and a quick noise cancel (frequency shift) took care of that. It ran silent until I found a target.

Walked along this road about a mile to the far tree line, there was a house here long ago. I've dug a lot of stuff here, all mid 1800s to early 1900s. Coins, relics were everywhere. Now not so much 😀

20220404_083937.thumb.jpg.11e85541461aec36797dcb3090577f4d.jpg

First things I found were two IHPs, one right after the other about 10' apart. One is 1899 and the other is kinda toasted. Can't get a year. About 3/4 of a mile later I got a tiny colonial button, a heavy finger size brass ring and a musket ball. Here is the haul for the day:20220404_202159.thumb.jpg.810c4c8031b70f44000a290f51c15665.jpg

Ended up with two musket balls, a pistol ball, and a 3-ring bullet of a caliber slightly smaller than the musket balls with rifling marks on it.20220404_200746.thumb.jpg.86853dc6fb7813d9d27b15d0193c8dfb.jpg

Not sure what rifle would have fired this, it may be new but the lead says old. Got another non ferrous small ring, two keyhole pieces, a large trunk lock hinge, plated D buckle, and a watch winding knob.

Dug an overall button, I think it says "Blue Bell", and my favorite find today, the best service button I've found so far.20220404_200828.thumb.jpg.b343cc00766c0f954e605165448fb17c.jpg20220404_200626.thumb.jpg.64e42ef02ea1ac212c750a01c68441d2.jpg

Did the flashlight trick on the back to highlight the complete shank and text. Sad these get bronze disease so bad.

I learned to properly use the MI-6 pinpointer today. Almost didn't have to use my Carrot or the Quest pinpointer, but I had them both with me.

Honestly I would have found all this with my Equinox, but the weight of the Deus 2 and the peripherals make it a big deal for me. Ran it in the General program today almost all day. The coil battery lasted much longer. Only setting I changed was Reactivity to 1.5 instead of 2.

The last place I went over I ran the Deus in DeepHC, and found nothing new. Dug a ton of trash, I wanted to see if any of it was consistent. Not so much, but I didn't get much iron, getting better at that.

20220404_181203.thumb.jpg.eea9c9bdf5ddf287febc56c7cd213df1.jpg

Just now, CPT_GhostLight said:

It looks like you're getting pretty comfortable with your D2. Well done!

Thanks!

I think a few hundred more hours will do it... 🤣 I get out there more than most, so that will come. Big beach trip next week. 7 days of detecting. My wife will allow me to hit the beach 4 hours every day. 😁

Nice bunch of finds!   Is that service button civil war era?   It looks like the D2 is working out for you.  I’m really liking mine.  It’s just a fun machine to use.  Is that a predator phoenix shovel you’re using?

Just now, NCtoad said:

Nice bunch of finds!   Is that service button civil war era?   It looks like the D2 is working out for you.  I’m really liking mine.  It’s just a fun machine to use.  Is that a predator phoenix shovel you’re using?

Thanks!

I haven't looked the button up yet, going to have to get a better read on the back so I can look in my button book. Could be, this place was occupied pre-CW.

The shovel is the Ranger, it's a little shorter than my Predator Barracuda, but digs a lot deeper. Those shovels are really good. 🙂 They scare the heck out of landowners tho, so I have a small Lesche for the squeamish. 😎

That design of the US service button was introduced in 1902. I look forward to your beach experiences with the D2. 🙂

Killer finds! What program and tones are you playing with or using? Just picked up the Deus 2 last week, have t had much time with it yet but this is definitely a highly customizable machine and very sensitive. So far I’ve made some custom programs based on general and fast, one with 5 tones and fast mode with pwm pitch, that pitch really hits hard and seems to help unmask really well in iron. Happy hunting 

Great finds again with a couple of old IH's for your trouble.

Good luck on your next hunt.

9 hours ago, Jmonez said:

Killer finds! What program and tones are you playing with or using? Just picked up the Deus 2 last week, have t had much time with it yet but this is definitely a highly customizable machine and very sensitive. So far I’ve made some custom programs based on general and fast, one with 5 tones and fast mode with pwm pitch, that pitch really hits hard and seems to help unmask really well in iron. Happy hunting 

Thanks for the compliment! I would say this was a pretty average hunt for me.

So far I have only used DeepHC recommended to me by a prominent forum member who I hunt with occasionally, and General from a Gary Blackwell video. DeepHC has not found anything General couldn't. I have compared them. I tend not to deviate much from the standard programs. If I do something really custom, at least now I'll be able to save it. 🤪

With the Equinox I use iron balance, sensitivity and recovery speed, with the Deus it has been Reactivity and sensitivity. The tones guide me, I don't guide the tones. 🙂 I have not had to switch to single frequency with the Deus.

As to whether this machine is exceptional over my Equinox 600, there are strengths and weaknesses. I have not concluded that it is more sensitive at all. The Equinox is a very hot machine, do you have one? I also wouldn't say at this point that it makes any deeper, smaller, or more spectacular finds than the Equinox. I've got 20 hours on it, and tick bites and poison ivy yet again. 😂

For me the exceptional qualities of the Deus 2 are ergonomics, weight, and interoperability with its peripherals, the WS6 and the MI-6. I'm getting to be a "geezer", so weight is an issue, however my Equinox has been materially customized to weigh as little as possible and to be as comfortable as possible. The Deus is much lighter and way more water resistant, but even that remains to be seen.

So far I'm not blown away by its performance except in a high EMI location and the tighter accuracy of TIDs. Like the Equinox it is sensitive to underground power lines, a very good thing 😏 It is very good at not being overwhelmed by a pesky cell tower in the permission presented here. Remove the cell tower and they would be neck and neck for finding metal. 😀 

Separation? The Coiltek 10x5 is as good or better at that. I have the 9" on the Deus and I do find more targets in the center of the hole. 😉

I did not buy it because of all the hype regarding depth, I hoped it would live up to that hype but haven't seen it yet. I will be using it in a multitude of environments, Farm, RV parks, beach and river, and will be posting what I find here (possibly ad nauseum) 😁 I'm glad you like yours!

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I look forward to your beach experiences with the D2. 🙂

So do I! If I don't find my wife some fancy jewelry I'm not sure she will be happy with green lighting the purchase. 😬 Bringing the Equinox too. 😁