Back To The Spur Spot (mission Accomplished)

I was back at the spur spot yesterday afternoon for 3 hours of well deserved therapy. It was hot but there was enough breeze to keep me cooled down. I sometimes hunt with  a buddy that has all his detecting needs perfectly kept in a little back pack... his boots are already on and he's ready to go detecting...the minute we turn off the truck he's out the door and hauls ass to the spot...he's usually about 10-15 minutes ahead of me. One time after he did this I walked up to the area he had already been detecting for 20 min turned on my detector  and immediately dug a nice seated quarter about 15 feet from where he was standing. As he looked at me in disbelief I calmly told him that the reason I found the quarter and he didn't was because he hauled ass to the spot and the detecting gods don't like to see greedy detectorists.  

So in following with my superstitions yesterday instead of rushing to the spot where I found the spur I made a wide fishhook pattern so as not to appear too eager to find the other one...The plan worked perfectly it was the 4-5th target I dug...On the deus 2 it was in the mid 80's and sounded not that great...as I was excavating it out of the ground I noticed why... there was a large piece of Iron covering about half of the spur...I would have put the odds of finding the other spur at zero to one...how many times have we set out to find something with our detectors only to find out it was the only one there...

I had a nice little 3 hour hunt.... the matching spur will sit in my display case next to the other one...I got a few more relics and even found a coin if you can believe that. The ground is rock hard...A shovel is out of the question.  Once I break through the hard upper surface I am able to use the Leshe tool  to get the target out but its lots of work to not damage the target. Heres a few pics... a couple showing the landscape. Happy hunting and don't be too greedy when you go detecting 🙂

strick 

thumbnail (8).jpeg

thumbnail (7).jpeg

thumbnail (3).jpeg

thumbnail (4).jpeg

thumbnail (6).jpeg

thumbnail (5).jpeg

thumbnail (2).jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail (10).jpeg

Excellent!  Like you indicated, finding a mate or missing piece is as rare as hens' teeth.  I'll remember the "don't be in a hurry to start" advice.

I see you found a thimble.  I can't believe I've never found one.  Where do they ID?  If Zinc penny and above I should have one by now, but if they are in the aluminum trash zones, that might explain my failure.  I know the best ones are sterling but I figured many are brass, which I would expect to give a zinc penny (or higher) ID.  Are they just so small that they fall below that?

What is that turquoise knob in the 2nd picture?  Is it actually metal or a piece of glass that happened to be in one of your dig holes?

GB  Just for you...its brass on equinox park 1  it Identify at 21-22  fe 0 fe2 0 the blue knob was out of  a dig hole...

Strick

That is so awesome that you found the matching spur! That's a million to one shot! All of the relic finds are great, that looks like an untouched spot you found there. Well done and congrats!

Fantastic, a hunt to appreciate!

That's some incredible finds!