2016 Gold - A Nice Start

So with the weather warming and drying out (of course as I say this it is pouring rain at my house - but it is generally drying out), we finally got out to do a bit of real prospecting and my first nugget of 2016 is the larger one on the right. It weighs 2.3 dwt or 3.5 grams. It came out of the ground with a lot of caliche, but a little bath in dilute hydrochloric acid cleaned that off. All but the smallest one were taken with the GPZ 7000, the smallest was found with the SDC 2300. Total is 3 dwt or 4.5 grams.

Nice to get back into the swing of prospecting season again. Looking forward to doing some serious exploring around for gold!

Gold_2016.jpg

Do you have any before and after photos of the acid cleaning process? Is hydrochloric acid like the muriatic acid you get at a pool supply store? Will it clean red mud/dirt off of gold specimens too? And do you use it straight out the bottle or? Acids can be nasty things to handle. Sure looks pretty.

I don't  think this was the kind of help he was looking for............

Agreed, but there is loads of information out there and if someone wants to learn, study is the best way to do that. If one is not interested enough to study for one's self, then you are not really all that interested.  Its easy to ask 1000 questions and expect someone else to study and do all the work for you. I am merely saying that if you are truly interested, the information is out there and available.

Thanks Strick. I trust folks on this forum more than elsewhere too.Maybe Chris just had a bad day? He is usually quite helpful..

I am not very comfy around acids myself.

That is an excellent gold cleaning  thread by the way.Any good videos on the subject ?

You know how geologists get sometimes ...Chris may only be a bit cranky due to missing out on the last Rock Show that was on, that's all.

rock show ...rock show ...

This website does have a Google based search function, and the subject of cleaning gold as strick has noted has been covered on the forum at length before in two threads.

Best Way To Clean Gold

that thread references another prior thread with lots more details

Gold Cleaning Methods Needed