So The Beach Hunts Start Again

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

We should do a road trip and teach him a lesson.

I would consider that an honor after the bruises healed... 😀

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I would consider that an honor after the bruises healed... 😀

Geeze, bruises from us giving you guitar lessons? What kind of lessons were you thinking? 😄

3 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Geeze, bruises from us giving you guitar lessons? What kind of lessons were you thinking? 😄

"Nice detector ya got there, F350. Shame if something happened ta it"

😎

Beach hunt # 21 was back at the beach I found the Seated dime at. I was hoping the low tide was low enough for me to hit the rock area again, but it was not quite low enough. I only had about ¾ of an hour before the tide rose and pushed me up on the drier sand. But I did manage to find a silver/cobalt ring, and a small silver earring. The dry sand only had zincs and other trash. I did notice the Manticore loves saturated sand, although it ups the high conductors towards the 99 region. I will come back here the next time the tide is really low. Did about 3 ½ hours and decided to go to another beach and hit those big grass fields. I recently started to hunt these fields after hearing how good they have been through the years for a lot of local hunters. The silver fields they call them. I tried my E Trac there for a couple hunts, then the 800 for one or two hunts, and finally the Manticore on it. They previous hunters’ cherry picked high, (silver) conductors, so there is a lot of clad and copper cents left. I dug all high conductors, with the occasional low conductor every once in a while. There are literally thousands of low conductor targets, mostly pull tabs and foil. So, no nickels on this hunt. I dug the cans mostly to get them out of the way. You could tell they were big targets, and they rang between zinc and copper pennies. Same goes for the aluminum bottle caps. I dug those because I’m not sure where the big gold rings read yet. It’s been a while since I dug over a hundred coins, but they add up quick. The Manticore seems to do better at separating the target ID on coins in dirt, while grouping the high conductor ID’s closer together in wet sand at depth. Both wet and dry just hit more clearly than the 800 does. I even take the same path back to the car and was amazed at how many coin targets I was digging compared to the Nox. It definitely bangs out the clad quite well. I did manage 2 silvers, so I was happy about that. A long hunt but worth the time spent with a new machine. Next week, I may try a new beach dirt and sand hunt as well.

20230129_155903.jpg

20230129_160122.jpg

20230129_160442.jpg

20230129_160920.jpg

Wow, that's a heap of coins and copper and silver is always good to find. That grassy field might be hinding some deeper silver the others missed. Well done!

Wow! You're starting to look like a VLF Hunter man, trash to finds is pretty even. 👍 😀 That's a lot of coins for this time of year, I went to a local beach and got .87. 🤣 not worth it. 

That ring looks really nice, seems to have some fancy hallmarks, so you probably knocked out of of the park there. Add two silvers and a ton of modern change, that's a lot of digging. 👍 

I wonder what took a bite out of the heart, or is that by design?

Nice work there Nox...I could tell by the photos right away that you were using the M-Core before I even read about your hunt. I've been using the M-Core exclusively except for a brief stint this morning at a nail infested hotel site. The M-Core is geared more toward coins then any other detector I've ever used. It bangs hard on all of them including nickels which I'm a bit surprised you did not bother with as they usually hit well in the 26-28 range where I hunt...I've been digging an averge of 12-15 per hunt in my clad infested parks...hoping for  gold ring....that said gold rings I'm not so sure yet if it hits as well as the Nox but on coins it's a no brainer the M-Core is leaps and bounds above the Nox....there I said it 😜

strick 

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, that's a heap of coins and copper and silver is always good to find. That grassy field might be hinding some deeper silver the others missed. Well done!

Thanks. The fields are a weird consistency. There seems to be a layer of top soil around 9 inches and then a old, hard pan like layer below that. Almost everything is 9 inches and above. After that it's very hard to dig, and I'm not sure if there is an older layer than what everyone is reaching. I have yet to get a target in that hard layer.

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Wow! You're starting to look like a VLF Hunter man, trash to finds is pretty even. 👍 😀 That's a lot of coins for this time of year, I went to a local beach and got .87. 🤣 not worth it. 

That ring looks really nice, seems to have some fancy hallmarks, so you probably knocked out of of the park there. Add two silvers and a ton of modern change, that's a lot of digging. 👍 

I wonder what took a bite out of the heart, or is that by design?

Thanks. I really want to get the PI out, but I have to play with the new machine to see what it brings for my type of detecting. So far I really like it, much more than the 800. It does bring back E Trac/ CTX memories but with a modern twist.  The ring is odd. I believe it's a cobalt mix and the designer has a lot of variations, but this particular model says 8K and also .925. Most of his rings are Cobalt/mix. I can't find one that is .925. I should check his site and not retail sites. It is a big ring though. That heart has that slice in it for the other person to have the key to their heart. I'm not fond of it because it was deep and rang in the silver range. I thought I had a quarter of half, but no.... I got aluminum 🙄

55 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice work there Nox...I could tell by the photos right away that you were using the M-Core before I even read about your hunt. I've been using the M-Core exclusively except for a brief stint this morning at a nail infested hotel site. The M-Core is geared more toward coins then any other detector I've ever used. It bangs hard on all of them including nickels which I'm a bit surprised you did not bother with as they usually hit well in the 26-28 range where I hunt...I've been digging an averge of 12-15 per hunt in my clad infested parks...hoping for  gold ring....that said gold rings I'm not so sure yet if it hits as well as the Nox but on coins it's a no brainer the M-Core is leaps and bounds above the Nox....there I said it 😜

strick 

I agree - it bangs on coins. Nice, solid, pure hits. No nickel digging for me. Thousands of low conductor hits, so I passed on them. I just wanted to see how much silver is left there. Not much but still not zero. I can't see a reason for the Nox except for chains and maybe tiny studs... not something I would hunt for exclusively. If I lived closer and not 2 hours away, I would dig the low conductors and keep a list of pull tab numbers and only dig the other numbers. But it makes no sense for me to mess with those low odds vs the time I have to detect. That is why I never waste a lot of time talking to people when they stop and ask me questions.

19 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Impressive finds pile as always  .  👍

(Too bad the purple corvette has a bent rear ax...)

Thank You. I may fix that axle and sell the car on E Bay for around 15k 😬

Beach hunt # 22 was at a small beach that I was going to try some shallow water hunting at. Tides were not very low, but there was enough of the exposed beach to keep me busy. So no water hunt – saving it for warmer weather. I started with the Manticore and dug a lot of iffy targets so I could learn a bit more about how I can cherry pick, but still be confident that I am not missing anything in the small jewelry range. I could see holes in the water from the water guys and finding coins on the dry areas was a challenge for the Manticore. No 100+ coins this hunt. I did get a beautiful 53 reading at depth, and after extracting it and pinpointing it, I kept saying  to myself (in jest), this is the perfect gold target ID. So I scrape the sand away and there pops up a 7 gram, 14k man’s ring. This never happens when you say it’s going to be gold, at least it doesn’t for me. But that’s what it was and quite early in the hunt. I also hit a really beat Mercury and a bit of a toe ring. I later switched to the GPX and soon found out that the coins were out of range of the Manticore. They were 15+ inches deep and I was hoping for some more gold, but nickels is all I kept getting for low conductors. Sun setting, I called it a day. My first gold with the Manticore, and it hit very nicely tone wise and display wise. I’m liking this machine a lot.

20230203_104000.jpg

20230203_104729.jpg

20230203_104759.jpg