So The Beach Hunts Start Again

"But it hits little crap too." ....You ain't kiddin'! Little tiny pieces of can slaw drive me nuts trying to find. They keep falling through the shovel holes. Unless you use the carrot on high sensitivity, you won't find them by sight alone.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beach hunt # 32 was a switch back to the GPX for the day. Originally I was going to start on my favorite beach and then head out to another beach for low tide. As usual, I rarely end up doing what I originally planned. Because low tide was in the afternoon, I had a decent amount of time to just focus on areas I did well on in the past. Beaches can be funny sometimes. I started in an area that was extremely good to me for silver many years ago. I really considered this place dead, but it was on my way to the section I really wanted to hit, so I started there. Signals were sparse but I finally got one and it was a silver dime. Targets are fairly shallow, probably 9” maximum followed by some tiny red brown(iron stained?) pebbles and then gray clay. Doesn’t sound like much but it gives machines a hard time, ground noise wise. After that find, I just followed that path across the beach for about a quarter mile. I was happy just getting all that silver but again targets got sparse, so I hit a lower wet sand area. Targets there were very sparse, with only the occasional iron and zinc cents. I hit a big iron piece and thought I heard a second tone during the discriminator blanking effect. So, I came from a different angle and there was a low conductor target close to the iron. Digging it up I see a glint of gold and was rewarded with the 10 K earring. But there was still a target in the sand I dug out. Maybe the matching earring?????.......or a zinc cent. 🙄 Zinc cent always wins  😢 Definitely not the hunt I was expecting, but very grateful I stayed put at that beach. I’m not sure if this is going to be my last beach hunt until fall. I may have some short project work coming up for the next couple of weeks. One is on a 17th century meeting house lot and possibly a day trip to a Revolutionary War camp. If they are postponed, then I’ll be back at the beach until opening day - Memorial Day. Always nice to beat yourself up digging the beach. 😊

20230408_162710.jpg

20230408_163509.jpg

20230408_163725.jpg

20230408_163751.jpg

8 hours!  I can't imagine that long of a hunt right now for a couple of reasons.  Family and sanded in beaches.

Your results are worth the effort.  We'll miss your beach posts once they kick you off.

Mitchel

Sweet gold and silver. I like the big square nail and iron next to it. Can't tell for sure what it is.

They have seasons that you can't use a detector on the beach? Where is that and I hope the idea doesn't spread!

Good hunt, earing saves the near skunk. 😄

Too lucky! You find more gold and silver with that GPX than your manticore I would say. Can you search the wet with the GPX or is it not water proof?

Wow, well done again and congrats on the silver and gold! The GPX and your endless energy delivers again! I need a nap after just looking at all those digs! 😎

22 hours ago, mn90403 said:

8 hours!  I can't imagine that long of a hunt right now for a couple of reasons.  Family and sanded in beaches.

Your results are worth the effort.  We'll miss your beach posts once they kick you off.

Mitchel

Sanded in beaches suck 🙄 I could never detect longer than 2 hours on one. Luckily the beaches I am usually on have no protection from the waves, so there might be some sections that is not sanded in. I'm getting pretty burnt form the long drives, so if the season ends early, that's ok with me 😄

21 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

Sweet gold and silver. I like the big square nail and iron next to it. Can't tell for sure what it is.

Not sure what the big wedge piece of iron is. The big spikes are fairly common with all the docks and boardwalks that have been in the area for many years. They build them and the ocean breaks them up. The cycle of life 😅

15 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

They have seasons that you can't use a detector on the beach? Where is that and I hope the idea doesn't spread!

Good hunt, earing saves the near skunk. 😄

Yep, most state run beaches do not allow detecting during the season. This is because we have smaller beaches than some of the other coastal areas down south and out west. If you have a beach here that is a half mile long, that's a big beach. 😥 I would have been very happy with just the silver from the hunt. But gold does make me much happier. 😉

6 hours ago, Sirius said:

Too lucky! You find more gold and silver with that GPX than your manticore I would say. Can you search the wet with the GPX or is it not water proof?

You can search the wet sand if you want, but the GPX is not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. It works best in dry sand or wet areas that have exposed rocks. Doesn't help much if the beach is sanded in. I rarely do wet sand unless I see some evidence of exposed big rocks or a very steep slope. I have to admit, my GPX has taken some hits from waves that snuck up on me. Luckily, it never went under.

5 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, well done again and congrats on the silver and gold! The GPX and your endless energy delivers again! I need a nap after just looking at all those digs! 😎

Thank You. I need a day off after digging that 😄 Without the GPX, my beach hunts would be very boring. I would probably relic hunt or hit parks with the Manticore

The silver pile would make me smile ,,well just one would do that right now and the gold wouldn't hurt me either !You're earning all that while swinging a heavy GPX !!!!

😵

I went out for a little over 4 hours , in 3 shifts between doing Easter with mom and just taking a long break to warm back up !  I'm pretty sore today , was using the 15x12  , back and elbows mostly. for just one ring of possible bling , no markings..  But it was my 1st ring ! Testing required . Now  I come here and your finds make me hurt more just imagining how much pain if I had done your day in the loose sand ! That stuff kills my legs  ! Mick Jagger was right , "What a drag it is getting old " 🙄 and that was in the 60s when he was a kid !

But then I think I'd still do it for that pile you scooped today ..... WTG !

14 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

The silver pile would make me smile ,,well just one would do that right now and the gold wouldn't hurt me either !You're earning all that while swinging a heavy GPX !!!!

😵

I went out for a little over 4 hours , in 3 shifts between doing Easter with mom and just taking a long break to warm back up !  I'm pretty sore today , was using the 15x12  , back and elbows mostly. for just one ring of possible bling , no markings..  But it was my 1st ring ! Testing required . Now  I come here and your finds make me hurt more just imagining how much pain if I had done your day in the loose sand ! That stuff kills my legs  ! Mick Jagger was right , "What a drag it is getting old " 🙄 and that was in the 60s when he was a kid !

But then I think I'd still do it for that pile you scooped today ..... WTG !

I can't think of a better way to self inflict pain than to go detecting 🤕 People all over the world go to the gym to get the same pain I get. But I never see any of them walk out the door with silver or gold in hand 😊 It doesn't matter how long you get out, as long as you had fun doing it. Congrats on your ring. Hope you get another soon. As for Mick, it must be a real drag getting old when your bed is made of $100 bills 🙄