Gold Monster Vs 24K Vs Gold Bug 2 Or...........

Ya know, Steve, I thought the Gold Kruzer would replace the Bug 2, being of high frequency. What happened with the Kruzer? I was interested for awhile, but it seems there's not much interest.

Jim

1 hour ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Ya know, Steve, I thought the Gold Kruzer would replace the Bug 2, being of high frequency. What happened with the Kruzer? I was interested for awhile, but it seems there's not much interest.

Jim

You know, that's a good question. The Gold Kruzer is a great model that should be listed in the same breath as these other higher frequency detector. But I'm guilty of forgetting and overlooking it and the same can be said I think of the machine in the general market. I had to look and confirm just now that it had not been discontinued (it has not) since Nokta has discontinued almost all their older models since the Simplex and Legend came out. I don't know any nugget hunters in the U.S. that use the machine although I know Nenad in Oz is a huge fan. The only users here seem to be jewelry hunters? But yeah, why did the Gold Kruzer never seem to gain any serious traction in the U.S. at least? I honestly don't know, other than to guess the Gold Monster slaughtered it due to the Minelab name and marketing muscle.

• Like 3

I just think it's very hard to bring a new gold VLF to market with the multi purpose SMF VLF machines being so popular and so good at the job it's made the purpose made prospecting machines a difficult sell.  The older ones on the market already had a foothold before the multi freakers hit the market so plenty of people already had them, the Nokta was released at a very bad time, 2017 Nox hits the market, 2018 Gold Kruzer hits the market...  couldn't get worse timing, add to that the fact most people who wanted a gold prospecting VLF already had one or more and had little need to buy another one like the Kruzer, if anything they were replacing them with multi freakers.   Add to that people buying multi freakers selling off their single frequency gold machines so the market for new units was even smaller.

The Equinox, Manticore, Legend and possibly the new Quest are seeing the death of the single frequency prospecting VLF's.   Yes they may have advantages in certain areas, disadvantages too and financially for many it makes sense just to have one detector that can do it all rather than a specialty prospecting machine and also a multi freakier for other purposes. 

Even detectors like the Deus which many people had, they were able to just buy another coil for it and they have a good prospecting machine, no need for another detector and then they're still using the unit they're familiar with and enjoy using without learning a new machine.

Single purpose machines are far less of a necessity now than they were some years ago.

• Like 4

I rarely use VLFs anymore, but if the conditions are right nothing beats the GB2. The problem is just that the conditions are mostly not right for it, at least not in my neck of the woods. The GB2 comes with a serious side effect though: The aweful screeching treshold has been burned into my brain after having used it for so long over years, and I am convinced that this will be the last thing my brain will hear on my death bed.

GC

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Jim

Having owned the Nokta Gold Kruzer and the Nokta Legend, the Gold Kruzer’s prospecting “Gen” mode just did not have punch or enough adjustable features to compete with the Legend’s Goldfield mode…..no single digit notching, no recovery speed adjustments, iron bias adjustments, single frequency choices and most of all, no simultaneous multi frequency operation to help with ground handling on hotter ground. Also, I did not witness any advantage in using its all metal Gen mode compared to its multi tone discrimination modes as far as overall sensitivity. I can run my Legend hotter and right on the edge of instability due to its excellent SMF tech on hotter ground. I am not dissing the Gold Kruzer. For me, I just prefer more features and versatility from a gold prospecting detector. I guess I am spoiled by the latest SMF do it all really well detectors like the Manticore, Equinox models and Legend.

• Like 4

Thanks guys. I guess technology has more than madeup for the ultra-high frequency when it comes to VLF's. At one time that freq. advantage was the ne-plus-ultra for gold machines. it appears it no longer is.

Jim

• Like 1

The Nokta AU Gold Finder was going to be my first dedicated gold machine, but unavailable at the time I wanted to buy, so I picked up my GB2. Fast forward 3 years and it was going to be discontinued so my buddy was able to get one from Kellyco at 1/2 price. Have used it a few times and I think it's a very cool VLF, but I  think it was too late for them here in the US.

I can use all those high frequency VLF's, coz I started back in the 'good ole days' when thats all we had, just like Steve. But the 2300 and the 6000 (and maybe the Axiom) have pretty much dealt a death blow to all VLF prospecting detectors. Ive used a Nox800 and loved its performance as a true all-round detector. With the 6"  coil on it, its easily a close or exact match for all other HF VLF units now available. Ive been buying too much other camping junk lately to buy one  but soon......