Gold Monster Vs 24K Vs Gold Bug 2 Or...........

They would always be superior in trashy areas unless a PI comes out with excellent discrimination, that may never happen.

They are also fully waterproof, debatable with the Nox but still, you can go into creeks and do proper water detecting with them, so unless you're swinging an ATX or SDC you can't do that with anything else.  Add water and trash together and you've got a VLF again 🙂

We aren't quite there yet replacing VLF, even the very small coils the VLF's can have, at least some of them are a powerful tool in the right places, if you can't get your coil in there then you are missing gold, a little GB2 coil can go almost anywhere.

I like chasing tiny gold, but now the GPX 6000, GPZ with small X-coils or a 15" CC and by the looks of it the Axiom can get gold so small you really don't need to go smaller, 0.03 of a gram is within reach of both the 6000 and GPZ, 0.02 if the right shape nugget.  Any smaller and it's not really worth chasing unless you're lucky enough to be in a spot with a lot of it, at a patch I found I'd figured it was cleaned up pretty well with my GPZ, JW checked out an area with his GB2 and found about 20-30 pieces of gold in one dig hole where another bigger nugget had come from.  20-30 tiny nuggets smaller than the GPZ can hit still add up in weight. and this is where VLF's still have an advantage.  JW often does this, finds a lot of little tiny stuff with his GB2, GM1000 or Nox in holes that the bigger one come from.  I should get in the habit of doing the same as it really works for him. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

.  20-30 tiny nuggets smaller than the GPZ can hit still add up in weight. and this is where VLF's still have an advantage.  JW often does this, finds a lot of little tiny stuff with his GB2, GM1000 or Nox in holes that the bigger one come from.  I should get in the habit of doing the same as it really works for him. 

This is why I have had to make modifications to my GM1000.  It should be on a telescoping rod (mod#1) and should have a better more stable stand (mod#2 - using pvc pipe).  I mean common.   But I can run my GPZ and hook my GM1000 on my backpack and hike for miles.  In areas with a lot of bedrock, it takes me less than a minute to unhook from the side of my Camelback backpack.  Now I don't have to use a blowtube ... which takes for(freak'n)ever.   Then again, I am talking the US deserts.  Sometimes those little specs let you keep a little manhood when you can say you still found gold.  (well, just a little)

But, Phrunt, I also have found that when I am digging the larger pieces (well, I mean gram+), there is usually more gold bits in my dirt pile which I find with my GM1000.  It was a little eye opening when I started checking my piles.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andyy said:

But, Phrunt, I also have found that when I am digging the larger pieces (well, I mean gram+), there is usually more gold bits in my dirt pile which I find with my GM1000.  It was a little eye opening when I started checking my piles.  

That's what I'm talking about JW does it all the time, and I've watched him do it over and over again yet I've never done it myself!! I need to get my act together.  Sometimes he spends an hour or more with his VLF on his dig hole from a nugget with the GPX 6000 or GPZ collecting all the tiny bits they miss using his GM1000, GB2 or Nox.

I'm a slow learner I guess 🙂

• Like 3