How Minelab Designs Metal Detectors

Rub each end of the batteries on your shirt at the start of each session, travelling over bumpy roads with the batteries in place causes oxides to form at the contact points causing connection issues. After market batteries with larger contact points help avoid this issue.

JP

True that Minelab tends to compete with itself at times, still wondering whether the X-terra 305 was dropped from their lineup to push new starters to the hobby into purchasing from the flagging Go-Find range.  Pity, as the 305 is a much more capable and flexible VLF than the Go-Find 60, not to mention having multiple coil options available.

I have to admit to purchasing a Go-Find 60 out of interests sake, whilst it is not a bad detector in principle, there is a big question over the longevity of the plastics and hardwired square concentric coil, especially on what happens once beyond the warranty period.  Nice try by Minelab anyway, they certainly took a risk on the outlandish design compared to Garrett playing it safe on its latest generation of Ace detectors.  I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Let's hope Minelab have a simple, lightweight, fast recovering FBS detector on the drawing board, I'd put my name down for one as a companion to the Deus.  Surely they would sell like hotcakes. :smile:  

"It's actually a Mono coil Goldpick.

I also have a GF60 and lined up against a few others at the exact same price point it is a dismal performer.

Had I still been employed with ML it would never have got out the door like that. But that's what happens when totally inexperienced 'newbie' marketeers are let loose to run a project. That's what happened. People hadn't a clue about MD and neither did the mother ship!

As for the video...the penny has finally dropped loudly on their new polished floors inside that nice building that they have lost their way. But there isn't any plan and no new hobby machine being planned.

It's a 'knee jerk' reaction: "Go out and make a video and let's pretend we've got something on the boil!"

Naw...I don't buy it."

1 hour ago, Des D said:

Had I still been employed with ML it would never have got out the door like that. But that's what happens when totally inexperienced 'newbie' marketeers are let loose to run a project.

I love the inexperienced newbie marketeers term. I find this true in almost every company in some sort or fashion. One thing I saw in one company is the engineers were never allowed outside of their work environment. That left marketing to determine the public wants. I seen another company where plant engineering was designing, marketing talking to the public, R&D designing. All three were having their own products manufactured at the same plant. What was bad is no one knew what the other was doing. Absolutely no communication. 

Just imagine if a company build the perfect metal detector. It sees all and tells all. You sweep over the target. A holographic image appears and it tells you that there is a coin or a chunk of gold. The detector is so good that it tells you the type of coin and the date on the coin. It shows the depth and the rocks scrap metal around the target. Like I said this detector is perfect in every way. Weight is less than 3 pounds and the battery last 1 year. The problem is the price is $100,000. While Steve H is in line to purchase, most of us would think it's great. Some will lust for the new machine. Most are going to keep swinging the blue box.

Seems like you have a fairly low opinion of Minelab these days Des. I guess if you are not a prospector it would appear they have been doing nothing as of late. My GPZ argues otherwise. I personally think the best is yet to come from Minelab.

Interesting video and it makes a fair point to me on what goes on behind the doors both there and likely at other manufactures labs.  Even if there is a bit of fluff in the video there is a good statement being made~ They are not sitting around waiting for the competition.

Now if they'd just unblur that new GPZ 6 inch coil...... hehh

Thank you minelab for making that video, I totally loved it, I own the GPZ and the CTX models and have to say they are the best detectors in the world and now I see why. Wish I could work for minelab and contribute.

Keep up the excellent work. And looking forward to the GPZ 19 inch coil release.

Regards

21 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Seems like you have a fairly low opinion of Minelab these days Des. I guess if you are not a prospector it would appear they have been doing nothing as of late. My GPZ argues otherwise. I personally think the best is yet to come from Minelab.

Steve,

My apology.

I'm sorry for using your Forum as a Podium. It won't happen again. I was out of line.

Des D

PS: You're right, I'm not a a Prospector (but do have extensive experience in that field having worked with the SD's, Extreme, GP's, GPX' and with the artisinal gold miners in some African countries)