Gold Detector Competition, We Are All Winners. Is Something Coming Gpx-8000?

Gerry.....  Looking forward to your future write up....

"IF" they ever do get a decent PI with good disc capabilities in the future (?) that will be BIG, really BIG!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Junk has it benefits..........In a worked patch it tells you that they have not got all the targets.

In a heavily rusty junk area it tell you that most people have walked away and that beloved old VLF can come out of retirement and get the larger nuggets like it used to get when detecting was in its infancy.

When hunting virgin desert areas, it let you know some one has thought the area may have been worth while. Besides not getting a target for hours or days, it wakes you up again, and gets the concentration working at it's peak.

But remember junk will beat you some times.   

I'm with Gerry. You have to know when to use discrimination combined with common sense.

I have an area that has gold and a load of trash.

This is a sandy wash area.  The first 6 inches is fluffy sand that is easily kicked away with your boot.  Almost all of the trash is in this layer and it comes across as a strong target signal.  After digging about 50 of these little pieces of iron I finally started using my head.  The subtle targets, were in the hard pack that was below the fluffy sand.  All of those targets that were subtle and in the hard pack were gold.  SO, I, like Gerry said, "OK, if when I kick the loose sand I move the target, I'm going to ignore it and concentrate on targets in the hard pack.  Is there a chance that out of 50 targets I kicked out of the fluffy 6 inches 1 or 2 might have been a small nugget?  Maybe.  I don't care because what I did know is that 100% of the targets in the hard pack were gold nuggets. So I ignore the targets in the fluff and dig the nuggets in the hard pack. So sometimes you have to play the percentages and be your own discriminator.

Doc

Cmon now people, don’t be telling people to ignore trash.  I need somebody to dig up the junk so I can go back through and get the faint sounding deep biggins! 🤣

How many of you when you were new to this got caught up digging a really deep hole under a bush because of a good target signal?  

After getting down 18 inches you realize the target is the same as when you started.  That's when you realize some one snookered you by putting a bent rusty piece of wire on one of the branches of the bush.

When I was first getting started someone told me yeah other detectorists will do that.  I said, "Why?"  Because they waste 30 minutes of your time and that's 30 minutes less time you get to spend looking for gold.

Doc

10 hours ago, Doc said:

How many of you when you were new to this got caught up digging a really deep hole under a bush because of a good target signal?  

After getting down 18 inches you realize the target is the same as when you started.  That's when you realize some one snookered you by putting a bent rusty piece of wire on one of the branches of the bush.

When I was first getting started someone told me yeah other detectorists will do that.  I said, "Why?"  Because they waste 30 minutes of your time and that's 30 minutes less time you get to spend looking for gold.

Doc

In a spot that my mate got a 2 oz nugget near a tree root. I got a good signal near a tree. I was getting a good signal all round the tree. After a bit of digging things did not add up. going nearly 2 foot up the trunk of the tree I zoomed in on the location. The tree had grown over a horseshoe and completely covered it with bark.

I hate those disappearing targets - I mean those that are suddenly absolutely nowhere to be found no matter how much retracing, re-raking and resampling I do.

Then after a while I  remember those magnets on my pick…🙄

The super magnet is a time save, but they will not work on gold😀. The nugget I had disappear was never found. The situation was a signal about 5 gm strength in a large conglomerate bolder about 8 ft high. The target was at about eye level. After trying to remove it with a geo hammer it went flying. Spent 2 hours gridding the area around the rock, no non ferrous target was found even though very little rubbish in the area.

😭          

Oh No!

I hate it when I do that!

Hey Doc

Something like that happen to me but I was coin hunting under a bush and the signal got better when I lifted the coil. What I found was a nice good looking gold watch still running.

Chuck