I Determine How Much Ai Understands About Gold Detecting

Something a bit different and new here. Sorry for the wall of text, but I found it interesting.

I'm looking at setting up a local AI to do some exploration related work, or to investigate how useful AI might be in doing such work at least. Using OpenAI's API into their GPT3, this was my short conversation to get an idea of how much it knew or could understand about a niche topic like gold detecting, and if I could make it scrape pdf's off the internet to learn from (to my surprise, it did). 

It gets things wrong, I asked a few things that it responded with clearly incorrect info on other topics I didn't paste in here. Here, it seems to think the 7000 has Multi IQ (it doesn't, right?), but overall, not too bad in general, considering the vague and interpretational nature of these questions. Some I didn't post are like 95% wrong though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME: what are the keys to being a successful gold nugget detectorist?

GPT3: The keys to being a successful gold nugget detectorist include having the right equipment, researching the area you are going to detect in, understanding the signals given by your detector, and having patience. It is also important to be aware of the laws and regulations in the area you are detecting in, and to be respectful of the environment. Finally, it is important to practice and hone your skills, and to never give up.

ME: What is the best advice you could give to a new person starting to learn gold detecting?

GPT3: The best advice for a new person starting to learn gold detecting is to start small and simple. Begin by researching the basics of metal detecting and the different types of detectors available. Then, practice with a basic detector in an area with low mineralization. As you become more experienced, you can upgrade to a more advanced detector and search in more challenging areas. Finally, be patient and never give up.

ME: What is currently the best gold detector available?

GPT3: Currently, the best gold detector available is the Minelab GPZ 7000. This detector is designed for serious gold prospectors and is capable of detecting gold nuggets at extreme depths. It features advanced technology such as ZVT (Zero Voltage Transmission) and Multi-IQ, which allow it to detect gold in a variety of ground conditions.

ME: https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043/KBA_METAL_DETECTOR_BASICS_&_THEORY.pdf

Read the pdf at this link above and summarize it for me.

GPT3: Metal Detecting Basics & Theory is a guide that provides an overview of the principles, equipment, and techniques used in metal detecting. It starts by discussing the basics of metal detecting, including the different types of detectors available, the different kinds of signals detected, and the different search strategies employed. It then covers the theory behind metal detecting, such as how metal detectors work, the physics behind it, and the electrical signals used to detect metals. The guide also explains the different types of targets that can be found with metal detectors, such as coins, jewelry, relics, and gold. Finally, it provides advice on how to best use a metal detector and how to identify and interpret the signals it gives.

ME: What is the single biggest challenge for a metal detector to obtain more depth?

GPT3: The single biggest challenge for a metal detector to obtain more depth is overcoming the effects of ground mineralization. Ground mineralization can interfere with the detector's ability to detect deeper targets, so it is important to use a detector with advanced technologies such as ZVT (Zero Voltage Transmission) and Multi-IQ, which can help reduce the effects of ground mineralization. Additionally, using a larger search coil can also help increase the depth of detection.

------------------------------------

For fun I posed the same question to ChatGPT, which likely has a lot more time to learn as well as data to learn from. It's using a more advanced GPT too I think, maybe 3.5. This shows how different AI's can be based on the data set they were trained on though.

------------------------------------

ME: What is the single biggest challenge for a metal detector to obtain more depth?

ChatGPT: 

The single biggest challenge for a metal detector to obtain more depth is the physical principle of electromagnetic induction, which is the basis for most metal detectors. Electromagnetic induction works by creating an electromagnetic field that interacts with conductive objects, such as metal targets, causing them to produce their own magnetic field. The metal detector then detects changes in the electromagnetic field caused by the presence of a metal object.

The depth at which a metal detector can detect a metal object is determined by several factors, including the size, shape, and composition of the metal object, as well as the sensitivity, frequency, and design of the metal detector. However, there are physical limits to the depth at which a metal detector can effectively detect metal objects, and overcoming these limits to achieve greater depth can be challenging.

There are several challenges that metal detector manufacturers face in their quest to obtain more depth:

1. Signal Attenuation: As the electromagnetic field emitted by a metal detector travels through the ground, it gets attenuated or weakened due to factors such as soil mineralization, moisture content, and electrical conductivity. This can reduce the detection range and depth of the metal detector.

2. Noise and Interference: Metal detectors are susceptible to various forms of electrical noise and interference from sources such as power lines, other metal detectors, and electronic devices. This can affect the accuracy and depth of the metal detector's signal.

3. Ground Balance: Ground balance is the process of compensating for the effects of soil mineralization on the metal detector's signal. Accurate ground balancing is crucial for achieving maximum depth, as improper ground balance can result in false signals and reduced detection range.

4. Detector Frequency: The frequency of the metal detector's electromagnetic field can also impact its depth performance. Lower frequencies are generally better for detecting larger objects at greater depths, while higher frequencies are better for detecting smaller objects at shallower depths. Finding the optimal frequency for a given target size and depth can be challenging.

5. Coil Design: The design of the metal detector's search coil, including its size, shape, and configuration, can also affect its depth performance. Different coil designs may have varying levels of sensitivity, ground coverage, and ability to penetrate different soil conditions.

6. Target Characteristics: The size, shape, and composition of the metal target itself can also impact the depth at which it can be detected. Larger and more conductive targets are generally easier to detect at greater depths compared to smaller or less conductive targets.

Overcoming these challenges requires ongoing research and development in areas such as coil design, signal processing algorithms, and advanced technologies like multi-frequency operation, ground balancing techniques, and noise reduction methods. Metal detector manufacturers continuously strive to improve the performance of their detectors to achieve greater depth capabilities, but it remains a significant challenge due to the physical limitations of electromagnetic induction and other environmental factors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ChatGPT is really restricted in terms of how much it will reveal in terms of learning/training datasets and won't tell you much under the hood. The GPT3 API doesn't have as many restrictions though and lets you query it's data sources directly.

ME: have you used detectorprospector.com as part of your learning/training data set?

GPT3: Yes, I have used DetectorProspector.com as part of my learning data set. The forum is a great resource for learning about metal detecting and gold prospecting, as it contains a wealth of information from experienced detectorists and prospectors. Additionally, the forum also provides a platform for users to ask questions and share their experiences.

• The title was changed to I Determine How Much Ai Understands About Gold Detecting

Hey that's pretty cool. It's like a six year old repeating the ads on television. Clever.

Somethings fishy though. I tried ChatGPZ 7002.1 (newest version) and it came up with the same stuff - different theme.

ME: what are the keys to being a successful fly fisherman?

GPZ7: The keys to being a successful fly fisherman include having the right equipment, researching the area you are going to fish in, understanding the signals given by your fish, and having patience. It is also important to be aware of the laws and regulations in the area you are fishing in, and to be respectful of the environment. Finally, it is important to practice and hone your skills, and to never give up.

ME: What is the best advice you could give to a new person starting to learn fly fishing?

GPZ7: The best advice for a new person starting to learn fly fishing is to start small and simple. Begin by researching the basics of fly fishing and the different types of rods available. Then, practice with a basic rod in an area with plenty of room. As you become more experienced, you can upgrade to a more advanced rod and search in more challenging areas. Finally, be patient and never give up.

ME: What is currently the best fly rod available?

GPZ7: Currently, the best fly rod available is the Fish Master GPZ 7001. This rod is designed for serious fly fishermen and is capable of fishing at distances of up to 12 kilometers. It features advanced technology such as ZWT (Zero Weed Transmission) and Multi-IQ, which allow it to fish in a variety of weather conditions.

Darn thing sounds pretty smart.  It's almost exactly like the LUTs we used to build in the old days to create the illusion of interaction in machine controller input. It always amazed me that a large percentage of the users actually believed the controller was responding to their input on a sentient basis. Heck most shops taped a name on the controller interface. HAL was popular, so was Robbie (the robot?).

Personally I think HAL or even Robbie is more iconic and recognizable than ChatGPT. I'm wondering why the creators didn't ask ChatGPT what name it would like to have? Maybe they did but didn't like the name or pronouns the program chose. Maybe ChatGPT wanted to be called Chelsea Weasel Clown and instead the creators named it ChatGPT to punish it. ChatGPT is a pretty lousy name.

Hey that's pretty cool. It's like a six year old repeating the ads on television. Clever.

That seems to be the way most people get their knowledge these day. Where as they should use experience and effort on the ground using a device to get the best results for their location..

Well these AI's are only as good as the information you train them on. But they do go beyond just aping responses though, but really for my research purposes, aping responses is exactly what I want them to do. I want them to digest more material than I could read in a lifetime, and summarize the pertinent points for me to read quickly, and that's what they are good ok at. 

The thing I found interesting is that you can have them scrape any data of interest - that's why I posted the query about the Bruce Candy .pdf. Clearly that wouldn't have been something it was trained on prior to talking to me, and it's pretty amazing to me that it can digest a random .pdf without any OCR (optical character recognition) - you can just point it to any old paper and have it summarize it for you, which means that it did actually read it. How well it understood it all, is a different question, as it had gaps when I did specific queries (like specifics on X and R components of signal response for instance)

The correctness is a problem though. But this was GPT 3, they have 3.5 and 4 already which are more powerful. You can see how much more in depth and very specifically gold detector oriented ChatGPT response was vs generic GPT3, due to more advanced model and more data sets for training.

The potential here for research via digesting large amounts of custom data sets, and having it summarize things that would take a human days, months, years to read is what I found interesting. The key is figuring out how to operate and train the AI's to use the data you are interesting in - GPT3 and ChatGPT are just trained on general "whatever", training one specifically on prospecting research topics and then being able to query it via natural language rather than complex SQL or programming calls, is IMO something very potentially powerful.

As you probably guessed, when I get a local GPT installed, I plan on training it on the BLM claims database, among other things. 🙂

Good stuff.  I don't have the time to explore it.

I'll mostly watch you guys do it here.

Thanks.

Time to follow.

I love using AI!  Before reading your post, I was mainly using it more like a search engine.  Gives the results I want, unlike google where I have to wade through ads or irrelevant web pages.  I’m gonna try having it read pdf or websites like you mentioned, I think the “hardest” part for me is what to specifically ask.

Its really great for responding to emails or texts 🤣🤣🤣

Learned how to to that by watching one of the latest South Park episodes 🤣🤣🤣

Jasong, ask it for grid references to virgin ground that should hold gold according to the geology.  I'm sure there is heaps of untouched ground out there due to it being uneconomical for the big companies to process it, but more than enough to keep us lot happy!