Would Like Some Reviews And Input Please On The Coiltek 10''x5'' Coil For The Nox

I have used the Coiltek 10''x5'' coil on my Equinox 600 and I have had to decrease the sensitivity from 20-21 down to as low as 15-16 to keep the 600 from being real chatty.  I did all the things you would normally try to ease the chatter: Noise canceled, ground balanced, switch detecting modes, etc....still could not use at higher sensitivity levels.   By the way, we hunt fields that are no where close to any EMI source.   Cell phone off.   Anyone else have this problem?

2 hours ago, KREQ600 said:

I have used the Coiltek 10''x5'' coil on my Equinox 600 and I have had to decrease the sensitivity from 20-21 down to as low as 15-16 to keep the 600 from being real chatty.  I did all the things you would normally try to ease the chatter: Noise canceled, ground balanced, switch detecting modes, etc....still could not use at higher sensitivity levels.   By the way, we hunt fields that are no where close to any EMI source.   Cell phone off.   Anyone else have this problem?

Nope.  Just the opposite.  Can run it up in sensitivity.You might have a bad coil or connector.  The 10×5 is bump sensitive though.

• Like 2

Coil has great end sensitivity, the only downside to that is there are times when both ends will sense a different target at the same time, this can be a little confusing, so make sure and swing in several directions and maybe lift the coil to determine what is going on.

That same end sensitivity is great for pinpointing shallow targets if you tilt the coil 90 degs, if it does not sense the target you know it is a little deeper. 

The first one I had went bad after about 6 months, it just caused constant radical operation even in the air, I sent a video of the problem, and it was replaced promptly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KREQ600 said:

I did all the things you would normally try to ease the chatter: Noise canceled, ground balanced, switch detecting modes, etc....still could not use at higher sensitivity levels.  

I was told by some on here that when you change the coils, do a factory reset also.

Since I do that now the chatter has gone down, and I get better response from the detector.

Just a thought about your problem that you may try.

It performs how you would expect a 10x5" coil to perform in comparison to the other coil sizes, not near as deep as the bigger coils on bigger deeper targets and will miss or miss identify a lot of deep targets the 11" and 15x12" can get easily much like the 6" in that regard and that is to be expected, deeper than the bigger coils on very small targets, not as sensitive as the 6" to tiny targets, covers more ground than the 6", similar ground coverage to the 11".

Has a hot nose for prodding and poking for those looking for small gold.  

Quality appears to be good so far, is bump sensitive if improperly ground balanced or in ground the Nox struggles with, as are the other coils especially the 6" so ensuring good ground balance and appropriate sensitivity levels are the solution.  

To me it was a no surprises coil, acted how a 10x5" should and met expectations.  Happy with mine.

I think once you've used enough coils you get a pretty good understanding of what to expect from a coil of a certain shape, size and type and rarely do coils deviate from those expectations when it comes to performance. 

Thanks for some of the responses!! Appreciate it!!

To Valens Legacy, I did try a factory reset.  Forgot to mention that as one of the options I tried. 

I now have the Equinox 900 and have not tried the Coiltek 10X5 on it yet.   Want to try it soon.  Been way to hot here lately to get out for very long here in NE Mississippi plus most of the fields we hunt are cultivated.

Some mentioned that the 10X5 is bump sensitive.    Since I have gotten the Equinox 900 with the stock 11 inch coil, I have noticed that it is not nearly as sensitive to bumps as the 600.  I have used the 900 in places with stubble and so far, a lot less bump sensitivity than the 600.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on the Coiltek 10x5 coil,the bottom line it performs exactly as folks have mentioned it would do and more,basically it has not come of my Nox since i put the coil on......well pleased with it and just suits my roman/saxon sites a treat.

6'' coil has not be used since i purchased the Coiltek coil,stock coil has only been used maybe 2-3 times since i got the machine 4 years back and the 15x12 has only been used 6-7 times.Certainly dont regret buying the 10x5 and the biggest bonus is that because i have a wrist problem after coming of a bike decades ago i can finally swing a detector all day again without any issues.

Thanks again folks for all your input/advice etc.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I've used it a bit, absolutely brilliant coil for going over old trashy grounds. I last used it at our local showground at an area I thought I had cleaned out with the 15x12, 6" and 11" coils. Low and behold, I got another $60 in coins using the 10x5 which the other coils had missed. 

• Oh my! 1

On 7/13/2023 at 6:07 AM, RickUK said:

Thanks again for all the input and will give a indepth report later on after the crops come off...

I recently put the 10x5 CT through a few field tests (smf vs emi) mounted on the end of a EQX 900. In heavy iron trash, ground balancing at 40 had no problem separating non-ferrous targets from ferrous. Site EMI was high and the CT coil picked up every bit. Finally backed sensitivity down to 16/18, Recovery 4/5 and Volume 20/22.  Good coil in the brush but would not be my first choice for high EMI locations. I also tested the coil's trimming abilities on several nearby tree limbs, no knocks or loose connections were detected. The NOX 11 & Nox 6 handled the site EMI , ran stable and reached similar detection depths on this particular site.