Rough 2 Oz Gold Picture Wa

It is crazy that wasn't detected years ago. I often wonder if these kind of "discoveries" are legit & not just to push up a companies share price. Bit like someone claiming a big nugget find with a certain Minelab detector just prior to the Easter holiday weekend. Coincidently seems to happen all to often.

D4G

• Like 5

On 8/10/2023 at 4:21 AM, dig4gold said:

It is crazy that wasn't detected years ago. I often wonder if these kind of "discoveries" are legit & not just to push up a companies share price. Bit like someone claiming a big nugget find with a certain Minelab detector just prior to the Easter holiday weekend. Coincidently seems to happen all to often.

D4G

you make a very good point there dig4gold

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's a nice story but I'm on the side of dig4gold.  With something like that being reported, it draws so much attention (good and bad).  Now folks with detectors will try to sneak in the area.  Now there's a higher premium on the price of claims in that surrounding area.  I would think those who stumbled across it, would at least detect the area and get the gravy 1st.  Either way, it's great to hear/see.

• Like 3

Got to agree with D4G. That whole area between Leonora and Laverton is one of the most heavily detected areas in WA, including myself, and has been for more than 20 years. My bullshit meter has gone full scale on a 2 ounce surface piece still being there after all that !

Rick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 2

I got to thinking of some old sites I've been to in years past.  Swinging since the 70's I have partaken and or witnessed some interesting and sometimes crazy finds.  I came up with 3 conclusions of how a larger nugget could be recovered from the surface in such a well known area.

1st - Trash from previous Prospector was near the nugget and or even covering it.  I say this, as a friend of mine detected a cellar hole in NV back in the early 90's.  He recovered a gold coin I had missed.  I did very well in that hole previous and the only way I would have missed it, is from rusty old cans.

2nd - Serious erosion and earth movement.  It could have been from a flood and or a simple uprooting from an animal.  I have recovered both gold nuggets and coins from such happenings and the last time was right at Rye Patch, NV. We had a serious gully washer in a particular wash that had been quite productive.  I decided the amount of earth movement would be worth a swing and sure enough, I spotted a half gram nugget on the surface, just before I swung the coil over it.

3rd - Previously lost by someone else and then found again.   I was detecting Nevada with an Axiom.  A well known nugget hunter had been in there previously and found some nuggets with his Axiom.  He left the site to me so I could find a few.  Well low and behold, I hit a jackpot.  I get a stronger signal in between to small bushes and see a film canister.  Guess what, it has a few nuggets in it and I didn't even have to dig.  

In situation #3.  Do the nuggets in the film canister now belong to me, or do they belong to the 1st person who found them?

Within the 50 Km of Leonora. I found a 5½ oz nugget and a 1 oz nugget the area was undetected and the closest nugget that i found near them was 2 Km away in a large patch I had found.. Both of them had moss on them. So my thoughts were that the heavy ones get left behind on large flat areas that many people have only walk across due their vastness. However letting people know where I'm with "dig4gold" view.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, araratgold said:

Got to agree with D4G. That whole area between Leonora and Laverton is one of the most heavily detected areas in WA, including myself, and has been for more than 20 years. My bullshit meter has gone full scale on a 2 ounce surface piece still being there after all that !

Rick

Hi Rick why between Leonora and Laverton is the most detected area in WA?

Thanks,
Ethan