Recovery Speed And Ground Balance

I always thought that GB settings were independent of the Recovery Speed.  Is that true for the MF detectors, like the Equinox: i.e. if the recovery speed is adjusted, does the GB stay the same, or also needs to be changed as a result, everything else being equal?

• Like 1

Ground balance zeros the machine to the ground creating a baseline. Recovery speed effects how a targets signal is condensed. Slower will blend targets, too fast you can condense the signal and make it difficult to pick out fringe targets.

Ideally run recovery speed so it maches the size of a target. This is a good starting point.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mcjtom said:

I always thought that GB settings were independent of the Recovery Speed.  Is that true for the MF detectors, like the Equinox: i.e. if the recovery speed is adjusted, does the GB stay the same, or also needs to be changed as a result, everything else being equal?

GB and Recovery are two different settings, yes. The GB balance will not change when one changes the recovery speed. 

• Like 3

...with the Equinox 800, when the recovery speed is changed, the value of the ground balance will also change...so in more difficult terrains, it's easy to remember it...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I

16 hours ago, mcjtom said:

if the recovery speed is adjusted, does the GB stay the same, or also needs to be changed as a result,

I agree with Steve and El Nino77 basically. This is from experience.

Just to be sure, I did a quick test with the Equinox and Legend. This was done on three different dirt samples that I keep for testing in 14" gold prospecting pans. One sample has moderate iron mineralization=4 bars on Deus 2 mineralization graph. One has moderate to high iron mineralization=6 bars on Deus 2 mineralization graph and one has very high mineralization=Deus 2 mineralization meter is maxed out. 

Using the Ground Grab feature on both detectors to do an automatic ground balance (not ground tracking or manual ground balance) and then changing the recovery speed even just one value like from 5 to 6 also resulted in a change in the ground balance number when I did a subsequent Ground Grab. The change in ground balance number was not big=two or three number difference, but in moderate to high iron mineralization the ground balance being two or three numbers off can make a really big difference in the amount of ground noise heard and the ability to hear good targets.

Maybe when using tracking ground balance, the change in ground balance number when changing the recovery speed value would be taken care of quickly by the tracking ground balance feature.

Using tracking ground balance is not feasible where I detect.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, midalake said:

GB and Recovery are two different settings, yes. The GB balance will not change when one changes the recovery speed. 

See above post.

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

and then changing the recovery speed even just one value like from 5 to 6 also resulted in a change in the ground balance number when I did a subsequent Ground Grab. The change in ground balance number was not big=two or three number difference

Which direction was the change?

1 hour ago, mcjtom said:

Which direction was the change?

These are the type of questions that I do not like to answer since I have very different ground conditions and dirt samples from others. My three samples are by no means a definitive answer. I will just say again that after I raise or lower the recovery speed, the ground balance number changes.

• Like 2

If I change any settings on my detectors while detecting I re ground balance, if I move 20 feet over to another spot even if it is with in the same area I re ground balance, as Mr H said it only takes a few seconds and you have nothing to loose and may even gain.

• Like 3