Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just in it for the artistic finds displays!!😜🍀👍👍

On 8/31/2023 at 8:12 PM, midalake said:

My hat is off to you!!!  I could not handle that trash ratio. 

Yeah, I try and not think about the trash portion of the hunt 😄 I'm helping future fellow treasure hunters out 😏

On 8/31/2023 at 8:44 PM, rvpopeye said:

It's always impressive finds photos on your beach hunts , you Son of the Beach !🏴‍☠️

Decent silver for a hunt (thank you manticore, here's your biscuit)  and 8 hours  arrrrrgh  ! If I go out for more than 2 hours my elbows really feel it next day !  Did 3 today .LOL   

I don't know about you but I can't wait for winter,,,,,to be over !🌴👍  

Thanks. Winter bites, but it also limits the number of hunters out there. I can remember a few times I had to sit in the car and thaw out my finger tips.

On 8/31/2023 at 9:48 PM, Doc Bach said:

Son of a beach that's priceless Popeye!

Thanks. Either the GPX gained some weight over the summer or I'm getting weaker. 😌

On 9/1/2023 at 2:13 AM, geof_junk said:

Great photos, all I can say is you will have to get a bigger bucket for your coins soon. 

Ahh the coins.... what are my kids going to do with them when I'm gone. 😮    😄

On 9/1/2023 at 3:49 AM, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunting with both machines with a decent ratio of good versus bad.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

Thanks. Both machines have their place. They are about as opposite as it gets when you consider how they responde to targets.

On 9/1/2023 at 8:10 AM, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt. Glad to see you back! The thing I dislike the most is the bad muscle cramps after 6-8 hours of digging, I guess it's part of aging. It gets better for me when I can get out more to the farms. A capful of vinegar in a few ounces of water stops them immediately.

Is there a way to get the black off silver? You find so much of it I would guess it a chore. 🤔

It's been a long break since Memorial day, but I'm ready for some more punishment. 🤕 Most of my leg cramping comes from just not hydrating when I am detecting. I usually have 4 16oz bottles of Ultima mixed up and staying cool in the cooler. Do I drink them when I need to??? Of course not. 🙄 The silver can be done in quantity if you set up electrolysis, but I'm in no hurry to do any of them. That comes when I am too old to detect. Plus if you remove that black coating, you may be surprised on how many pits (craters) it's hiding. Unless they are a rare date, they can stay black for a decade or so 😅

On 9/1/2023 at 11:59 AM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well congrats on your early season silver, well done! That's a good sign! 😎

Thanks. It felt really good to get out in the fresh air.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:42 PM, Joe D. said:

I'm just in it for the artistic finds displays!!😜🍀👍👍

I'm resolute to be a little bit lazier this season. Unfortunately, you will have to stare at piles of junk instead of the mosaic scenes from previous seasons. It goes a lot quicker when I can dump out and quickly sort the junk and snap the picture. 🤗

• 2 weeks later...

Beach hunt #2 is in the books. I was dying to get out to my favorite beach (any beach really) 🤔, since all beaches are now accessible. It’s always fun to get out after Labor day and just detect. I got to the beach around 9 AM, and it was a bit hotter than I expected it to be that early. I detected 2 hours and then took a ½ hour heat exhaustion break. At 95 degrees, full sun and almost no breeze, you get wasted no matter how much you hydrate.💀 I barely made it back to the car for some AC. Ate some lunch and went back for 2 hours more fun. The beach was fairly crowded, but my sections were relatively free of people. Beach conditions were poor, as no sand had moved much. I headed to the only part of the beach that usually does not sand in much. I worked my butt off and finally was given a silver Roosevelt dime. You’d think I won the lottery. 🤣 Happy to see it. I also found someone’s bright idea to stash their coins with their gum. Makes for an unusual find. Not the best idea to head to the beach during a heat wave, but I needed my fix.

20230911_132005.jpg

20230911_131326.jpg

Man, sohN, you worked hard for that silver dime!😉

But you always do work hard, so I hope the next hunt has many more great finds waiting for you!

I wanted ask what your coil of choice is for the GPX?
I have finally settled on the 18” Detech DD for my GP3500.

I persevered with a mono for some time but EMI and that slow salt groaning audio finally beat me. The big DD gives nothing away in depth to my 14” mono but with all the added benefits of running a DD.

Happy hunting 

Tony

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Man, sohN, you worked hard for that silver dime!😉

But you always do work hard, so I hope the next hunt has many more great finds waiting for you!

I had no choice but to work hard - I didn't want to go home skunked 😢 What I really need is for the hurricanes to get on my schedule of days off and not delay like this next one is going to do 🙄 I'm going to be a day early. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I wanted ask what your coil of choice is for the GPX?
I have finally settled on the 18” Detech DD for my GP3500.

I persevered with a mono for some time but EMI and that slow salt groaning audio finally beat me. The big DD gives nothing away in depth to my 14” mono but with all the added benefits of running a DD.

Happy hunting 

Tony

I use a Detech 12.5 DD coil. I can get the most out of it while running it hot, but you will not get a quiet threshold in EMI. But the real signals stand out for the most part. Generally I can get 15" repeatable on a copper US 1 cent piece. Above that, you can find deeper coins, but maybe not consistently. I don't use any bungees or handles on the 5000, so my Detech 18 DD sits at home. Maybe others can, but I just can't use a mono coil on my beaches.

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I use a Detech 12.5 DD coil. I can get the most out of it while running it hot, but you will not get a quiet threshold in EMI. But the real signals stand out for the most part. Generally I can get 15" repeatable on a copper US 1 cent piece. Above that, you can find deeper coins, but maybe not consistently. I don't use any bungees or handles on the 5000, so my Detech 18 DD sits at home. Maybe others can, but I just can't use a mono coil on my beaches.

Nice choice of coil....and I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled with a mono coil on the beach. I ran the Coiltek 14" DD Goldstalker but the flat pan coil really suction stuck to the wet sand and on the dry, the sand would build up on the top of the coil adding weight. The open 18" DD isn't overly heavy and performs very well.

Thanks for the reply.

Beach hunt #3 was a 9-5 hunt. I worked my favorite beach with both the Manticore and the GPX. I wasn’t going to hunt that beach, as I just wanted to use their bathrooms. But I always check the beach just in case it looks good. This time it had a big upper-beach channel of water running parallel to the shore. Parts of the beach looked a bit odd, so I decided to start there. But I still wanted to hit the older beach as well. I found 2 nice silver rings and 3 fake gold rings. China sucks!!! Stop shipping good looking junk rings to America. 😡 I also ended up with 3 silver dimes - A Roosevelt, Mercury and a really worn out Seated. The seated along with an equally tumbled Indian Head cent came from the older beach, as well as a 1925 Wheat. The Roosevelt and Mercury dimes came from the part of the beach I head to when I beg for some silver. Still a lot of people at the beach, so I was unable to hunt the area where the Seated came from very well. I may end up there soon since I think all the beaches around there will have some good wave action from the remnants of  passing Hurricane. Not a bad day at the beach. Maybe a post hurricane hunt tomorrow???

20230915_122047.jpg

20230915_122823.jpg

20230915_122912.jpg

20230915_123851.jpg

20230915_125147.jpg

20230915_125223.jpg