Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

I hunt the beaches [surf] here in RI and south eastern CT right through fall, winter and early spring. 

Best time of year. You can never tell what will be brought up with heavier surf action.

You start hitting heavies like sinkers, copper, brass etc., good chance of gold in the area!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RIbeach_hunter said:

I hunt the beaches [surf] here in RI and south eastern CT right through fall, winter and early spring. 

Best time of year. You can never tell what will be brought up with heavier surf action.

You start hitting heavies like sinkers, copper, brass etc., good chance of gold in the area!

That's where I hunt as well 😄. If you see a long haired, old guy digging huge craters in the sand, that's probably me 🙄 I've been hitting that area for about 6 or 7 years now. Who know, we may have chatted one time or another.

• Like 3

By the way , what do you think of the Fisher AQ?

I owned a White's Surf PI [Gen 1], great with black sands and very deep but I ended up selling it.

Very tough on a trashy beach!

44 minutes ago, RIbeach_hunter said:

By the way , what do you think of the Fisher AQ?

I owned a White's Surf PI [Gen 1], great with black sands and very deep but I ended up selling it.

Very tough on a trashy beach!

I like the feel of the AQ but I didn't have it operational long enough to use it very often. Got it fixed and sold it. I hear that it is finding gold rings now 😊 I had a chance to get another one and I'll be trying it out fairly soon.  It won't replace my GPX 5000 for my dry sand hunts, but it probably will be the wet sand detector of choice. It will take some time to get used to and probably best to be used for very faint targets. It's still going to pick up aluminum and other low conductors, so trashy beaches will still be a problem. The audio response from the machine is what I like most.

• Like 3

Man, the "Surface Scratchers™" like me must love it after you leave a beach and the tourists leave stuff. 🤣 Nothing but good targets and common crap on top!

Bravo yet again for being the toughest and most disciplined detectorist I've ever seen. 👏🏆

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Man, the "Surface Scratchers™" like me must love it after you leave a beach and the tourists leave stuff. 🤣 Nothing but good targets and common crap on top!

Bravo yet again for being the toughest and most disciplined detectorist I've ever seen. 👏🏆

After they get all the good tourist stuff, I think they actually toss a bunch of iron for me to find next time I'm there.😄 As long as I get some silver I'm good. A plus was, I had a chance to talk with the state guys that run the place. Always good to see what they think of us detectorists. I always show them the good stuff - fishing hooks, pointy iron , etc 🧐......😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Yea if Detectorprospector had a wet T shirt contest we all know who would win...

strick 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Beach hunt #16 &17 are done. The first hunt was at my favorite beach which recently was very productive for the locals. The highest removal of sand that most people can remember was caused by a fairly high tide coinciding with a strong storm surge. A huge amount of silver coins were found, reaching back to Barber and earlier. Gold rings were very popular from what I understand. 🙄 I was unable to get there until about 4 days after the gold rush. It was cold…… 19 degrees as I was heading out of town.  I started out way too late, hoping it would warm up a bit. That was a mistake, as it only resulted in a shorter hunt than usual. The GPX did well, and I did have some minor luck with 3 pieces of silver 2 Indians, 2 Buffalos and a shot up Shield nickel. Quite a few copper cents were also found, but no gold. Some odd finds included a shoehorn (look it up young people 😅), a sugar tong, skeleton key and a surface find of a wooden bracelet. I dug the normal amount of trash. Not a bad day but I was hoping for more silver and possibly a little bit of yellow.

Fast forward 2 days. I had to try again, so I took the AQ and the GPX out for a second hunt. Another short one, as it was cold once again. The AQ found one unidentifiable coin a bit smaller than a quarter and probably of copper/nickel composition. I was purposely searching a place that was very productive in gold rings. 1 hour in, the battery died. My fault, as I figured it would last about 3 hours, so I didn’t charge it. Oh well, out comes the GPX for the remainder of the hunt. I concentrated on low conductors primarily since the amount of iron, particularly small, sliver pieces of wire and rounder globs of iron were present in quantity, along with a lot of nails and fence wire. The only high conductor signals I dug were those that gave a purer, more coin-like signal. I did dig some iron liberally when I first got there to test the area. Concentrating on low conductors did get me a lot of nickels including a nice Buffalo and a decent Liberty V  nickel.  One lone Indian head cent showed up as well. Silver count was 4, gold count was 0. Again, I noticed that the nickels that I rubbed clean right after finding them cleaned up easily with some Dawn and 4/0 (#0000) steel wool. So for the uncleaned nickels, I’m not sure if once the nickels are exposed to more oxygen or if it’s exposure to the sunlight, they are extremely hard to clean when you get home. Some good hunting, some older coins but no Super Bowl. 😶 On a sad note, the beach decided to claim one of the knobs off of my AQ. It’s going to be hard to find a replacement knob as it has a thin shaft with a section that is cut away, so that the knob fits only one way on the shaft. ay yai yai 😖

20240117_081259.jpg

20240118_131519.jpg

20240118_131104.jpg

20240118_130024.jpg

20240118_130151.jpg

20240122_151712.jpg

20240122_152603.jpg

20240122_152621.jpg

20240122_153414.jpg

20240122_145357.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Aww man, shame you missed the gold rush! 😵 I'd have missed the whole thing myself, can't take temps below 30 at all. Reynaud's is a curse. 😠

Still you managed to come away with stuff I find on relic hunts which is awesome. 😎

Fantastic hunt regardless. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1