Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

If that silver ring were a Standing Liberty Q you'd have a double (20th C.) triple, or is it a triple double??

I know you don't always investigate dates and mintmarks, but I suppose the Barber Quarter could be a 1913-S....  🤞🤞

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 4:56 PM, F350Platinum said:

I didn't comment on the last hunt but this is for both of them.

Incredible! 🏆 Obviously the best example of how useful a PI, and a lot of digging is at the beach. 👍

Great to see those 100 year old coins coming out! Never would have imagined that other than I got one a while back, but I guess a lot of sand has been removed by the surf. 🤔

Too bad the silver ring is so crusty, can it be cleaned up?

Thanks. I know PI's are definitely not for everyone, but for me, I could not do beach hunting without one.  I'm still amazed on how many old coins come up. I talk with others there and there are beaches that turn up large cents and Spanish. The ring can be cleaned up by electrolysis, but I would imagine it won't reveal a smooth surface underneath.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:12 PM, GB_Amateur said:

If that silver ring were a Standing Liberty Q you'd have a double (20th C.) triple, or is it a triple double??

I know you don't always investigate dates and mintmarks, but I suppose the Barber Quarter could be a 1913-S....  🤞🤞

If you can figure out how to turn that ring into a SLQ, then I am all ears. 😮 One of the nicest coin designs. Hard to find them, especially with any meat left on them. I hope the quarter is a '13S, but around here if you want an S, you have to magic marker it on them. 😄

• Haha 1

Beach hunt # 26 is at a new beach. This is beach #1. I had high hopes for this small beach. Research shows this beach may go back to the early to mid-1800’s. I was a bit leery since there is a limited number of parking spaces and houses are very close by. I arrived and parking was tight. The beach is even smaller than I thought. People were already eyeballing me, so I opted to go light with the Manticore. Not my primary choice, but I figured that I should be able to at least see if any coins show up. I really didn’t feel comfortable at this beach right from the start, but I decided to just concentrate on getting a solid target and see what comes up. If I get kicked out, I can get to another beach in 15 minutes. I must admit, the Manticore struggled there. It has a lot of iron and bigger exposed rocks, but I was able to get depth to about 6”. Raising the coil to get above the rocks greatly altered the response, especially the target ID’s. Luckily, coins were rather shallow, in the 3-5” range. Realistically, even with the great amount of iron there, my GPX with a smaller coil would have been ideal. But the Manticore did produce a lot of coins, so I’m thinking this place has not been detected since the 80’s at least. For silver, I found 2 Washington quarters, a mangled older style ring, and some kind of small teardrop shaped piece. Most copper cents were Memorials with a couple of Wheats thrown in. A lot of lead at this place too.

Beach #2 was another small beach that I had previously done ok at. I used the GPX for this one. Time was now limited and unfortunately, they had already repaired the damage to this beach. That can be a good or bad thing. I was able to get a silver Roosevelt dime and what’s left of a silver thimble. Judging from the things I dug, prior to them repairing the beach, it would have produced a good number of older coins. Looking over at the water line on the concrete wall, about 1-2  feet of sand was removed. That is a huge amount for this beach. I’m sure someone was able to get some shallow old silver from there. Good for them. 🙂

So not a bad day at the beach, and I did get some more silver, so all is good. I may get a chance to do one more beach on Monday. It is going to be a really low tide. Now I just have to pick the right beach. I won't even tell you about the crazy people I was approached by at the first beach. Scary. 😵😵😵

20240309_164552.jpg

20240309_163631.jpg

20240309_162913.jpg

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Looks like that spot is winding down a bit. 🤔 Still got silver, and I haven't found a silver thimble yet 😀 your relic count is good!

Got more wind coming, maybe some more will be uncovered. 👍

Great job!

• Like 2

Impressive finds count as always ! 

Silver well represented .  Lead count confirmed the settings .

Ya shoulda got a gold there ! That beach owes you one now ! 

The "private" beach will have less depositor observation on a rainy day.... 

Extra  low negative tides here too , hope I can manage a visit to a beach .

• Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 7:43 PM, F350Platinum said:

Looks like that spot is winding down a bit. 🤔 Still got silver, and I haven't found a silver thimble yet 😀 your relic count is good!

Got more wind coming, maybe some more will be uncovered. 👍

Great job!

Thanks. It is getting sparse but nothing prepared me for this next hunt 🤣

On 3/11/2024 at 7:54 AM, rvpopeye said:

Impressive finds count as always ! 

Silver well represented .  Lead count confirmed the settings .

Ya shoulda got a gold there ! That beach owes you one now ! 

The "private" beach will have less depositor observation on a rainy day.... 

Extra  low negative tides here too , hope I can manage a visit to a beach .

I know, that beach mistakenly though I said lead, when I clearly asked for gold. 🙄 I hope you had a chance to get out during that low tide. You would have beat my next hunt just by stepping out on a beach. 😅

• Like 1

Beach hunt # 27 is history, but the pain will linger forever.  😨 So, after many generous hunts in a row, reality can strike you hard. This was to be the lowest tide probably until fall, so I have to pick the correct beach. I waffled between my area beaches and NH beaches and finally picked NH. I must admit, nothing can reset your expectations better than a day spent digging this. 😅 So here it is, in all its glory – my stellar hunt. Spoiler alert……….. My best find was a potato masher. I kid you not. 😵

20240313_121702.jpg

20240313_122030.jpg

20240313_122108.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 2

I can match those bad days with recent days of my own!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

My best find was a potato masher. I kid you not. 😵

Aww man, I have the same thing happening here, many of my spots are drying up, I'm not getting the quantity of stuff. It's back to the pounded sites with a different program and attitude 🤣

That is an awesome potato masher! 🏆

Congrats! 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I can match those bad days with recent days of my own!

It's amazing how cruel a beach can be 😅 But generous as well at times 😋

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Aww man, I have the same thing happening here, many of my spots are drying up, I'm not getting the quantity of stuff. It's back to the pounded sites with a different program and attitude 🤣

That is an awesome potato masher! 🏆

Congrats! 🤣

It is an awesome potato masher. 😍 I'm renting it out if anyone is interested. If there are no takers, them I may have to move to Idaho where it should get some good usage. 🥔

• Like 1
  • Haha 4