GPZ 7000 14 Inch Coil Problem

On 29 August 2016 at 11:47 AM, Bada Bing said:

G'day all. My 14 inch coil has been playing up for awhile. Basically any knock or even feathering of grass gives off a false signal. Don't get me wrong it is still usuable and I'm still finding gold but it is super frustrating. You cannot go under trees or into grassy areas. My mate has been putting up with it for more than 6 months. My advice to him was harden up girlfriend and then it happen to me ..... kharma.

Anybody else having this issue? We would have sent them in to Minelab but being unsure of the turnaround time (guessing 3 weeks) we have been waiting for the 19 inch but that is months away.......

Cheers

BB

Sounds like a dead coil, we've had a few of them come through the shop this year from the first release. Get it back to your dealer or contact Minelab direct. 

JP

Thanks JP. Just wondering what the average turnaround time is with sending the coil back (in your experience). We have been hanging on until the 19 but I'm afraid I might wrap it around a tree before then. A mate sent back a dodgy WM12 and it took 5 weeks to get it back - Ouch!

Cheers

BB

Hi JP,

That's exactly what I was thinking.

New coil, new materials, new construction methods, new expectations of them and being an unknown quantity over time some are bound to fail.

Send 'em back! They need to 'strip em out' to see what's up?

Des D

I had the same problem as the OP. 

Also I began to notice whenever I set my control box down to dig a target the machine would also false on me. It was extremely annoying. 

I had one of the early machines that I purchased in April of last year. I used the hell out of that machine, I literally hunted with it once a week for 7-9 hours a trip every single week for a year. I also added a lot to that during camping trips that lasted several days.

After approximately a year of owning it I think it just kinda fell apart on me. I've been pretty busy this summer and haven't been detecting at all but I finally sent it back to Minelab about two weeks ago. They promptly replaced it within about a week and all I need to do now is pick it up at the UPS Depot. Minelab told me they don't repair these machines, if there's an issue with it they just replace the whole thing, which is awesome. 

I'm going to be a heck of a lot more gentle on my new unit which out in the desert here in Arizona isn't easy. I do lots of hiking with my detector and it gets scrubbed and knocked on all kinds of rocks and rough ground so I'll be doing my best to protect my replacement unit. 

• 1 month later...