Overview And Initial Review Of The Accupoint Pinpointer

17 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

I've seen Nokta exclude the box on other FREE PinPointers but the Legends I've sold so far all had boxes.

Yeah don't know how Serious Detecting got them, maybe they fell off a truck, but I got one early 🤣

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great Review!  Thanks, 1FF18B!

I wasn’t looking for more depth as much as I wanted a BT Pinpointer for my Legend.  If I use my Z-Lynk system, it’s not as weatherproof.

I took mine out for a short 1.5-hour test run yesterday.  I updated to V1.13 and paired them at home, according to Dilek’s instructions.  They worked fine.  Neither unit automatically paired in the field.  I find that pressing the Mode button on the Headphones often helps.

Other problems I encountered besides connectivity, were constant squealing even while holding it in the air.  Pressing the button briefly stopped that.  Several times, it wouldn’t locate a target in the plug but would find my watch.  Every time I turn the Pinpointer off, a few seconds later, she says “Disconnecting”.  That’s kind of annoying.  I hadn’t noticed any deterioration of sound with the Headphones.  I’m also unsure whether I’m supposed to touch the tip to the ground when powering on to GB the unit.

From what I understand, Bluetooth is not designed to have multiple devices operating at the same time.  That’s probably why most of the companies used WIFI.  I would hazard a guess that even Garrett's Z-Lynk is based on that technology.  Going to BT gives customers more Headphone options but I haven’t had any issues with manufacturers' brands other than the unavailability of Earbuds.

On 11/26/2023 at 5:12 PM, Bohemia Miner said:

From what I understand, Bluetooth is not designed to have multiple devices operating at the same time.  That’s probably why most of the companies used WIFI.  I would hazard a guess that even Garrett's Z-Lynk is based on that technology.  Going to BT gives customers more Headphone options but I haven’t had any issues with manufacturers' brands other than the unavailability of Earbuds.

Just to clarify and inform:

Bluetooth DOES support multipoint operation (operation with multiple devices) but it has to be enabled by the firmware in the device.  The Legend Headphones DO have this feature that is how the headphones are able to connect to both the Legend detector AND the Accupoint pinpointer.

Garrett's Z-Lynk is similar to bluetooth but uses proprietary software.  It is NOT WiFi.  Proprietary wireless detector audio is also used by Quest and Minelab.  Minelab did use low latency Bluetooth for Equinox 600/800, Vanquish, and the GPX 6000 but abandoned it in favor of a proprietary variant of Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) in the Manticore, Equinox 700/900, and the X-Terra Pro.

11 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Just clarify and inform:

Bluetooth DOES support multipoint operation (operation with multiple devices) but it has to be enabled by the firmware in the device.  The Legend Headphones DO have this feature that is how the headphones are able to connect to both the Legend detector AND the Accupoint pinpointer.

Garrett's Z-Lynk is similar to bluetooth but uses proprietary software.  It is NOT WiFi.  Proprietary wireless detector audio is also used by Quest and Minelab.  Minelab did use low latency Bluetooth for Equinox 600/800, Vanquish, and the GPX 6000 but abandoned it in favor of a proprietary variant of Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) in the Manticore, Equinox 700/900, and the X-Terra Pro.

Thanks for the clarification, C.G.!  I'm definitely not the most techy guy in the world.  I know just enough to be dangerous!  😁

My Accupoint does not perform its core function well in dirt ... It does not pinpoint consistently. Numerous times yesterday when the Carrot was right over the target indicating the target strongly (a solid tone); I'd estimate one half inch away from the target; the Accupoint was completed silent. A factory reset did not solve the problem. I am likely going to return it to the retailer and forget about it.

Just now, w-t-d said:

I am likely going to return it to the retailer and forget about it.

Unless someone has a fix for me

After a little time in the field and some air-testing at home, I'm still a big fan of the Accupoint. It does seem be a tad less sensitive in its max sensitivity settings (7-9) than the Carrott at max, but I'm OK with that status since I expect to get fairly close to a coin-sized target in the ground with the first hole.

The chart below is a fun little air test project I did with one of our twins (5th grade) as an exercise regarding the wonderful world of spreadsheets...and pinpointers 😄 The headers rows (two separate tables) are for the pinpointer + sensitivity setting, and reported values are in inches. He did all the measurements and data entry, while I double-checked his work.

Coin Nokta 1 Nokta 2 Nokta 3 Nokta 4 Nokta 5 Nokta 6 Nokta 7 Nokta 8 Nokta 9
1963 Penny tip 0.5 0.75 1 1.5 1.75 2 1.75 2
1941 Nickel 0.25 0.75 1 1.5 1.75 2 2.5 2.5 2.5
1996 Dime tip 0.25 0.5 0.75 1 1.25 1.5 1.5 1.5
1994 Quarter 0.25 0.5 0.5 1.5 1.25 1.5 1.5 1.75 1.75
1944 Half Dollar 0.5 0.75 0.75 1 1.25 1.5 1.5 1.75 1.75

Garrett Min Garrett Med Garrett Max            
1963 Penny 1 1.5 2.5            
1941 Nickel 1.25 2 2.5            
1996 Dime 0.5 1.25 2            
1994 Quarter 0.5 1.75 2.25            
1944 Half Dollar 1 2 2.5            

On 11/27/2023 at 4:00 AM, w-t-d said:

My Accupoint does not perform its core function well in dirt ... It does not pinpoint consistently. Numerous times yesterday when the Carrot was right over the target indicating the target strongly (a solid tone); I'd estimate one half inch away from the target; the Accupoint was completed silent. A factory reset did not solve the problem. I am likely going to return it to the retailer and forget about it.

Were you using the headphones?

Does anybody know whether we're supposed to GB by touching the tip to the ground while powering on like other units?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

Does anybody know whether we're supposed to GB by touching the tip to the ground while powering on like other units?

Thanks!

According to your Accupoint manual, if the ground is highly mineralized or on a salt beach, the answer is yes.  See the text under the heading "Reset".

Screenshot_20231128_162712_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.d0532969b33eb85b4c3c8c59ca715ad6.jpg