Overview And Initial Review Of The Accupoint Pinpointer

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Try it, I think you'll like it.  

I can't. My pinpointer works great, but it doesn't have a retune function lol. 

I first put the tip of the pointer at the center bottom of the hole, if it beeps, I dig down a little further. If it doesn't beep, I scan the side wall with the side of the pointer, then hone on it with the tip. In either instance, if I dig a further inch toward the target and the pointer's strength doesn't increase, then I know it's something large, like a can for example. 

On 11/28/2023 at 1:57 PM, glacialgold said:

After a little time in the field and some air-testing at home, I'm still a big fan of the Accupoint. It does seem be a tad less sensitive in its max sensitivity settings (7-9) than the Carrott at max, but I'm OK with that status since I expect to get fairly close to a coin-sized target in the ground with the first hole.

The chart below is a fun little air test project I did with one of our twins (5th grade) as an exercise regarding the wonderful world of spreadsheets...and pinpointers 😄 The headers rows (two separate tables) are for the pinpointer + sensitivity setting, and reported values are in inches. He did all the measurements and data entry, while I double-checked his work.

Coin Nokta 1 Nokta 2 Nokta 3 Nokta 4 Nokta 5 Nokta 6 Nokta 7 Nokta 8 Nokta 9
1963 Penny tip 0.5 0.75 1 1.5 1.75 2 1.75 2
1941 Nickel 0.25 0.75 1 1.5 1.75 2 2.5 2.5 2.5
1996 Dime tip 0.25 0.5 0.75 1 1.25 1.5 1.5 1.5
1994 Quarter 0.25 0.5 0.5 1.5 1.25 1.5 1.5 1.75 1.75
1944 Half Dollar 0.5 0.75 0.75 1 1.25 1.5 1.5 1.75 1.75

Garrett Min Garrett Med Garrett Max            
1963 Penny 1 1.5 2.5            
1941 Nickel 1.25 2 2.5            
1996 Dime 0.5 1.25 2            
1994 Quarter 0.5 1.75 2.25            
1944 Half Dollar 1 2 2.5            

So, what's the final verdict by everyone that's bought one, is it worth me getting one? From what I can see it's left behind on depth by the Garrett AT which means many other pin pointers are likely ahead of it for depth too.  Small target sensitivity is something I'm always interested in and its frequency maybe better for tiny targets, has anyone noticed this? 

Is there any benefit for someone that doesn't use a Legend to pair it to, has anyone found any reason to buy one beyond that? 

Things like the screen aren't an attraction for me, I think all new pin pointers should be moving onto having Apps to adjust settings using Bluetooth link the Sphinx pin pointer with just the button settings for the basics, all else now seems primitive.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Small target sensitivity is something I'm always interested in and its frequency maybe better for tiny targets, has anyone noticed this?

'Englands History' channel on YT has a good overview on the Accupoint, he shows a tiny bit of foil being heard where his XP pointer doesnt. Check it out here: Accupoint review

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phrunt,

I have seen where some have said that their Accupoint isn’t as deep as their Garrett AT.  For them, that may very well be true, but in my soil my Accupoint beats my Carrot by at least 1/4 inch.  The only pinpointers I have that are deeper in my soil are the F-Pulse and the Quest X-Pointer Max (barely).  I have tried both the Accupoint and the MI6/4 side by side for probably close to 150 targets at a local park and neither of them have found something that the other one didn’t.  So for me, depth wise, I think the Accupoint is more similar to the XP MI6/4.  I still use the Accupoint as my main pinpointer but I carry my MI6 as a back up and do comparisons on occasion.  Hope this was helpful.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

So, what's the final verdict by everyone that's bought one, is it worth me getting one?

My overall take is the Accupoint has some nice options (for those who want them or would use them, at least), but it's by no means a game changer.

Biggest positives:

• Pairs with headphones, seamless pairing/switching with the Legend updated to v1.13 
  • Screen to indicate setting status, like sensitiviy, Bluetooth off/on, ferrous/non-ferrous signal setting, etc.
  • Different tones for ferrous/non-ferrous targets (optional, can set single tone for both, or can elminate non-ferrous from registering entirely)  

Biggest negative:

• Slightly less pinpointing depth (~1/2" on coin-sized targets) compared to the Garrett Carrot, at least in air tests. YMMV depending upon local soil conditions.

Take these notes with a grain of salt, however, since I've mainly only used the Carrot. I do have a Minelab Pro-Find 20 [cough] but find it, ummm..."unpredictable" in terms of its performace on any given day, and easily half as sensitive as the Carrot.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, Aureous said:

'Englands History' channel on YT has a good overview on the Accupoint, he shows a tiny bit of foil being heard where his XP pointer doesnt. Check it out here: Accupoint review

Definitely not my experience in the field or an air test with the MI6 connected to the D2 remote (where you can further adjust/increase its sensitivity vs. standalone) vs the Nokta (vs. the Mi6 standalone air test as clumsily demonstrated in the video (what was the MI6 standalone sensitivity setting??  FWIW The MI6 standalone default sensitivity setting is medium vs. high). 

I did a test with small gold (0.8g) and the MI6 with audio via the D2 remote and also standalone vs. the Nokta and you can see the visual results below as I slowly slid the pointer down the ruler towards the target.  The tip corresponds to the height above the gold target where the pointer first sounded off and both pointers were at max sensitivity.

20231208_073220.thumb.jpg.f0c9f76ddd08ec10775db6f73678dee1.jpg

20231208_081608.thumb.jpg.fb67fe8d6fe1d4d4ff110c990ec3e114.jpg

0.8g Gold Target

20231208_074026.thumb.jpg.6dd58595338c99d9a0a5f42c7c97f8aa.jpg

Nokta Accupoint detection audible at approximately the 2mm mark (target was directly below the tip at the edge of the ruler which extends a couple mm beyond the zero mm marking).

20231208_074616.thumb.jpg.04c5a9f279183cc7cb4fec043e0edf98.jpg

XP MI6 connected to the D2 remote audible at about the 27.5 mm mark.

20231208_080950.thumb.jpg.de60cb0a8f38dea523c73071059e50ce.jpg

MI6 Standalone at "High" sensitivity audible at about the 22mm mark.

Both pointers are tip vs. side sensitive.

The MI6 appears to be less sensitive standalone vs. connected to the remote where you can further boost sensitivity above the MI6 standalone "high" sensitivity setting.

In my field experience the MI6 and Carrot are more sensitive in ground than the Nokta Accupoint on all types of targets (large, small, high conductivity, low conductivity, ferrous and non-ferrous).  Love the Nokta's ergnomics and the ferrous rejection mostly works on big iron (not so much on small iron) provided you are really close and get the orientation just right.  I've had it fail to recognize big iron as ferrous with the tip actually touching the ferrous target until I moved it to a specific position on the target.

It's a functional pinpointer with great ergonomics, mediocre sensitivity (in my first hand field experience), and finicky ferrous detection.  The ergonomics and ferrous detection (despite its quirks and mediocre performance) and wireless features  make it my preferred backup to the MI6 for now vs the Carrot and even the Quest Xpointer Max which has its own set of different quirks. I can see many detectorists being just fine with this as their only pinpointer.  Those who already own a more sensitive pointer might end up being disappointed.

I guess my only lingering question is whether there is high variability in sensitivity unit-to-unit with the Accupoint based on the myriad of perspectives here and elsewhere on Accupoint sensitivity. 

FWIW

• Like 5

So far I'm really liking the accupoint. The main reason I got it was to pair with my headphones. The added features of an easier to navigate menu and the iron tone feature along with the visual screen are just a bonus. The depth is just fine and it does everything I need it to. 
 When I had a Deus I used the mi6 because it paired with the headphones. I used the trx if the pin pointer didn't pair with the headphones. I preferred it over all the others I've owned. 
   The accupoint has become the only one I use and I'm happy happy. Cause, I'm the only one I worry about. 🤔😁👍 Good luck with what makes you happy and HH!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Definitely not my experience in the field or an air test with the MI6 connected to the D2 remote (where you can further adjust/increase its sensitivity vs. standalone) vs the Nokta (vs. the Mi6 standalone air test as clumsily demonstrated in the video (what was the MI6 standalone sensitivity setting??  FWIW The MI6 standalone default sensitivity setting is medium vs. high). 

I did a test with small gold (0.8g) and the MI6 with audio via the D2 remote and also standalone vs. the Nokta and you can see the visual results below as I slowly slid the pointer down the ruler towards the target.  The tip corresponds to the height above the gold target where the pointer first sounded off and both pointers were at max sensitivity.

20231208_073220.thumb.jpg.f0c9f76ddd08ec10775db6f73678dee1.jpg

20231208_081608.thumb.jpg.fb67fe8d6fe1d4d4ff110c990ec3e114.jpg

0.8g Gold Target

20231208_074026.thumb.jpg.6dd58595338c99d9a0a5f42c7c97f8aa.jpg

Nokta Accupoint detection audible at approximately the 2mm mark (target was directly below the tip at the edge of the ruler which extends a couple mm beyond the zero mm marking).

20231208_074616.thumb.jpg.04c5a9f279183cc7cb4fec043e0edf98.jpg

XP MI6 connected to the D2 remote audible at about the 27.5 mm mark.

20231208_080950.thumb.jpg.de60cb0a8f38dea523c73071059e50ce.jpg

MI6 Standalone at "High" sensitivity audible at about the 22mm mark.

Both pointers are tip vs. side sensitive.

The MI6 appears to be less sensitive standalone vs. connected to the remote where you can further boost sensitivity above the MI6 standalone "high" sensitivity setting.

In my field experience the MI6 and Carrot are more sensitive in ground than the Nokta Accupoint on all types of targets (large, small, high conductivity, low conductivity, ferrous and non-ferrous).  Love the Nokta's ergnomics and the ferrous rejection mostly works on big iron (not so much on small iron) provided you are really close and get the orientation just right.  I've had it fail to recognize big iron as ferrous with the tip actually touching the ferrous target until I moved it to a specific position on the target.

It's a functional pinpointer with great ergonomics, mediocre sensitivity (in my first hand field experience), and finicky ferrous detection.  The ergonomics and ferrous detection (despite its quirks and mediocre performance) and wireless features  make it my preferred backup to the MI6 for now vs the Carrot and even the Quest Xpointer Max which has its own set of different quirks. I can see many detectorists being just fine with this as their only pinpointer.  Those who already own a more sensitive pointer might end up being disappointed.

I guess my only lingering question is whether there is high variability in sensitivity unit-to-unit with the Accupoint based on the myriad of perspectives here and elsewhere on Accupoint sensitivity. 

FWIW

"I guess my only lingering question is whether there is high variability in sensitivity unit-to-unit with the Accupoint based on the myriad of perspectives here and elsewhere on Accupoint sensitivity." 

I think this may be the case. I had to warranty the accupoint that came with my pro pack and, although I never checked with a ruler, I noticed the replacement seemed to be less sensitive than the original one, which isn't a bad thing honestly, as level 6 on the first one was too sensitive, so I settled on level 5. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the information, based upon what I've read I'll give it a miss, it's hard to top the Sphinx.

• Like 2