I'd Like To See A 71 Khz Gold Bug

Agreed on that Phrunt. As much as I like the GM, the Manticore even with the 11 inch coil comes pretty close to the gold sensitivity of the GM (when run hot). I suspect with the M8 coil the difference will even be smaller, but yet with all the features the Manticore is offering, also wrt to relic hunting. I don't think it makes much sense to develop pure gold VLFs anymore, which stands in contrast to PI/ZVT technology where the differences still appear to matter.

GC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

So, a GM 2000 would just be a cut back Equinox 800 with a solid design coil and near to the Nox price... waste of money when you can buy the full featured Nox....

No reason for a Gold Monster Multi to sell for more than a Vanquish, and in fact putting it in a Vanquish box would be better than putting it in the existing Gold Monster box.

So imagine something more like this (but with a solid coil), light, collapsible, able to use standard or rechargeable batteries, wireless headphones, and a multi Gold Mode tweaked and improved over that in either the Equinox or Manticore, simplified control set - for $499

minelab-vanquish-340-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 6

Yes, that would be a good deal, if it were a Vanquish price it would be a sensible purchase choice.  My thoughts are based upon the GM1000 here which is more expensive than an Equinox 600 and not all that much cheaper than an Equinox 800 so it just seems crazy to buy a GM1000.

It does come with an extra coil which justifies the price a bit however a GM2000 with just a 5" coil for a Vanquish price and some better performance than the existing multi-IQ machines on gold might even tempt me.    I much prefer the Vanquish shaft than the GM1000 shaft, the Vanquish shaft is a very good design.

It makes you wonder if a multi-IQ GM will be the next detector release in a year or so, I'm not sure how well it would sell with many satisfied with their multi-IQ machines prospecting modes already.

• Like 2

I just wonder how low the price can go. A $500 retail price probably means the detector will cost $100-150 to make at the most, including everything. At some point, the quality/performance is just not there any more.

GC