I Dig Every Signal ! Do You Dig It ?

It’s so much excitement over the E1500 and so far rightly so of what I’ve seen in the videos that’s been posted. On their site the price posted is 2275.00 AUD but no coils are power supply. Coils we know don’t come cheap and for sure going need maybe two but wanting three. Then let’s not forget the power supply we can’t do without. If you go buy three coil new plus power to run it just how off are you from buying the Axiom?

Garrett has the TDI SL and would give it a little of whatever it takes to make it better I’d buy it. If they would come out tomorrow you could buy it because it’s already in the USA. 
 I don’t need a screen to read because I want and will dig every signal. I don’t want one that will detect fly specks. 
 I know everything that would come with it cost me money but when I get it I can walk out the door and start hunting. 
 Garrett I’m sure you could be selling it about the same price White’s was before they closed up .

Garrett I hope you read this and I believe you could make money. I know you would make a lot of us old hard shell White’s users happy.

Chuck 

• Like 5

On old mining claims 22 caliber brass casings, rifle & pistol brass casings and both steel & lead shot are common. Even with very limited tonal nuances the TDI SL I agree it is “dig it all”  when detecting for gold.  For coins the TDI Sl target conductivity switch, pulse delay and ground balance adjustments not so much a “dig it all”.  The E1500 screen with a target conductivity number is a big plus. For example, a consistent reading for 22 brass casings with just a lift of the coil will help to verify it is a shallow target as opposed to deeper target. Also the threshold adjustment with the aid of a tonal graph & threshold level is very helpful. 

• Like 1

When grandfather got his 800 and was learning how to use it, he was told many times to dig everything.

He passed that on to me and I find it very helpful to get the good stuff, and I also get the scrap items also.

There is no fool proof way to dig only one item all the time, and sometimes digging everything gets you the good stuff.

• Like 2

1980 in Wedderburn at the Australian Detector Rush most people were using discrimination. Not the best back then, however I put a 5 cent bit on the ground not one detector could pick it up at their settings. Two full time prospecting brothers and another were in a spot were one of the brothers go a large signal and said junk. The other one went and dug up the target which was a 36 oz bit. Note the Aus. 5 cent piece was a good test target latter on for PI detectors to gauge their effectiveness on gold.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My TDI Prototype. Having worked on the TDI Project with Whites, we wanted a ground balancing pulse to hunt the iron dirt in Culpeper Virginia. It did compete with the other Pulse detectors at the time which were the Minelab Gp 3000/3500 and the Garrett Infinium. 

14352321_320301488330053_2929338913697276003_o.jpg

• Like 2

Well George being you were involved in it’s concept of TDI SL do you believe it would be feasible with the mods that’s said makes it better to be resurrected again?

I know it’s in the hands of Garrett and it’s their call if the TDI ever sees the light of day again but I can wish.

Chuck 

On 2/10/2024 at 7:37 AM, HardPack said:

On old mining claims 22 caliber brass casings, rifle & pistol brass casings and both steel & lead shot are common. Even with very limited tonal nuances the TDI SL I agree it is “dig it all”  when detecting for gold.  For coins the TDI Sl target conductivity switch, pulse delay and ground balance adjustments not so much a “dig it all”.  The E1500 screen with a target conductivity number is a big plus. For example, a consistent reading for 22 brass casings with just a lift of the coil will help to verify it is a shallow target as opposed to deeper target. Also the threshold adjustment with the aid of a tonal graph & threshold level is very helpful. 

I've found with the DOD Zsearch 12" (and to some extent standard) There is enough audio feedback, on shallow double blip targets, to tell the difference in pitch between a round pellet and gold. As the targets get deeper, or vary in shape and material, a dig all policy comes into play. Something like the E1500 target ID on the Zed would be welcome.

I do wish to see Garrett go full speed ahead and come out with the TDI and a few mods, but my gut tells me that won't happen.

What I do expect to see and this will not be a Garrett only thing, but it would not surprise me at all to see Minelab as well, drop the prices of their gold detectors.

As for me digging all targets?  Heck no way.  I enjoy hunting the trashy sites most folks walk away from.  I enjoy using Identification features on my detectors to help me decide what it is.  No, it's not 100% correct, no detector is.  But it saves me time and energy.  Both time and energy is what I seem to find less and less of as I get older.  I'll walk, swing, ID and dig 20 targets in tailing to find 4 pieces of gold.  But I I don't have the youth to dig 100 targets in that same amount of time.

On a rare occasion at a site with great amount of gold, yes I'll eventually remove each target, but I grab the gravy 1st.

• Like 3

When looking for new ground I dont dig trash signals. When I have found my indicator nugget I dig all signals.

I am not so sure about the price reduction, time will tell. There is still no challenge to the flagship detectors. People buying the new entries are unlikely to have ponied up for the top of the range. Lastly they are not a one horse show. Detectors are not their only business and they may just transition their focus.