How Small Does It Need To Be?

Just curious of people's opinions of what size gold is too small to mess with detecting. What size piece takes longer to dig, than is worth your valuable time searching for larger pieces? Does it depend on the history of the size of gold in that area? Is every tiny bit as satisfying as the next, or do you feel some are a waste of time? Are you in it for the challenge, or trying to make a profit?  I'm not trying to come to any conclusions from this post. Just curious how people look at this hobby, or profession (if your fortunate enough to call it that).

18 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'm just as thrilled finding a bit the size in the photo below as I am a 1-gram nugget, where as it appears some people wouldn't even bend over to pick up a bit a hundred times the size of this one

IMG_20191224_123037.thumb.jpg.6ee86256e203e8fa4656c6f070e7a703.jpg

I do it for the fun, the challenge, so finding a bit like this is often harder than a much bigger bit.  So for me, the smaller the better, always a great feeling finding the tiniest bits.

I have no interest in selling any gold I find, even if I was fortunate enough to stumble on a lot, I'd keep it all, my little throphys have value to me far more than their money value.

Simon, you have a great attitude for sure, even if you sound a little bit like Gollum!😉

I feel the same way though, I never really found anything significant unless you count lead as part of it. Actually, I don’t mind finding lead, it tells me that I’m doing something right for once!  But it’s really the hiking in the hills and being in the desert and other natural places that count for me.

• Like 5

I have yet to swing any of my detectors on known gold bearing ground. I spend my time in the desert seeking the faintest signals and smallest targets I can find. It's my way of learning my detectors for when I can spend time looking for gold when I get the opportunity.  The banging targets don't excite me, but I dig them all. I'm sure it will change once I know gold could be the possible target. But for now, I suspect the smallest bits will be trophies none the less. 

1 minute ago, Ridge Runner said:

When did the size and weight stop making it gold ?

Chuck 

I concur Chuck.....the size gold I chase???......ALL.  I've had numerous days with over 50 bits found, sometimes just an afternoon only.  IT ALL ADDS UP.

• Like 3

Heck I’ve been dredging and getting nothing than not much bigger than fly specks. The thing is I was getting gold and maybe not paying for my gas ️but I was enjoying life doing what I loved.

I take the same attitude when nugget hunting are coin hunting.

Chuck 

• Like 5

I agree with all those who have replied, so far.  The vast majority of us enjoy this hobby for the challenge and a chance to get out in the hills, where the only thing we are concerned with, is a change in the sound coming into our earphones-hour after hour.  Finding a nugget among shotgun pellets, square nails, bullets, tobacco tin tags, pieces of tin is really nice, but we still go back out even after a total skunk.  It's a good hobby with occasional golden rewards, like day before yesterday. 

• Like 8

The gold is too small when you don't feel good after helping it escape the soil that imprison it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1