Do You Dig Signals With No ID And No 2d Trace?

At the edge of detection, I only get a faint high tone difficult to easily repeat, but they repeat "enough" xing the target, but no ID, no trace, no depth indication, barley a  pinpoint signal ?  Search mode and settings don't make much difference other than I am going slow.  Settings adjustments rarely reduce the uncertainty of what is in the ground. 

I have pulled out small bits of iron, I think once it was an IH cut in half about 9 inches, but sometimes I just seem to loose the signal like it might of broken up digging it out. 

Anyone else dig these or have similar results ?  I'm usually in old parks.

Am I wasting my time on wishful thinking ? 

I am trying to hunt for those deep targets in the prospecting in audio themes. But I am hunting in the water. Not having much luck. For me it harder then hunting with the excal in a/m. 
So those deep targets that said your getting is the same for me. It’s iron. 
I wish I could help more but I don’t know enough about the machine

gold nugget hunting I've dug a few targets like that and some have turned out to be small nuggets, others have been small bits of iron.

One the flip side, relic or park hunting, I don't dig those targets unless there is some indication of a decent target. I recently dug several buttons and bullets at a site I've pounded over the years. I was just getting a chirp with ID in the 90's, no trace and depth meter pegged out. 2 turned out to be small pewter buttons, 1 was a .69 cal bullet and 2 were nice coat buttons 1 GS the other D for Dragoons. I did dig 3 deep nails as well. The small pewter buttons were both over 6 inches deep and the buttons & bullet 9 or 10 inches deep. So IMO it's worth checking out signals that are out of the norm.

20240323_131208.thumb.jpg.0a9db7dfae748fd7cd731ab028e3cb46.jpg20240323_131249.thumb.jpg.680c125590bcaca3afe5dd1151060262.jpg

• Like 4

For hunting gold it is all about these faint targets. Subtle treshold variations is what you have to listen for. Getting IDs comes way later for deep targets once you have begun digging and you are within about 3 inch or less. Most nuggets I recovered had no ID nor any other visual indicator at first. It's all about your ears.

GC

• Like 2

When I am in the creeks near me I get that a lot, it could be a very small piece of iron, or even a very small piece of gold. There is also bits of silver in these creeks also and they can do the same.

Good luck and look very close when they are out of the ground and you not get a signal as they can also be a high iron clay that you are hearing.

I dig them at the beach as long as I don't get an iron grunt in any direction. If it's a faint repeatable with no iron, I dig. But my digging at the beach is much easier than your digging at the park!

Last week I got a very faint repeatable in the dry sand and it turned out to be a small St. Christopher pendant 18" to 20" down.

• Like 2

In an old park you dig them and you begin to catalog them mentally looking for similarities in ones that were trash and those that were treasure. Older parks usually have layers of sediment where coins and jewelry have settled over time. A coin lost on the surface 100 years ago could be 10" down if the park was mowed regularly over time. As you log more hours on the Manticore you will begin to know better what is possibly under your coil with or with out the 2d or TID. Everyone has their personal threshold of what it is worth to them to dig. I'm primarily a jewelry hunter so I mainly dig trash when I'm in a park and a ton of it but that's what drives me to detect, the hope that the next 29-30 is finally going to be a ring instead of a pulltab. 

I'd rather dig and discover than not dig but thats just me. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys, its good to hear I am not the only one digging on the ragged edge at times. The detectorists in my area are as good as they get, hunting before zinc pennies were being made and not afraid to run old detectors in all metal and dig it all. I don't understand how detectors can give a high tone and not give an ID of some kind, and now also fail to show some shadow of dot on the 2D screen.  My other Minelabs also do that, faint high tone and you guess. 

I also dug them all the time as long as its solid and not broad... As I learnt from this forum that these kind of signals were out of discriminations range but still within the detection limit

• Like 2

On the beach I dig many targets that are just a slight warble in the ground noise , no id at all .  This is on target depleted white sand beach's using Beach deep , and sens as high as 27-31 .  It's amazing how targets get so deep .  The Manticore has power to burn , you just have to find suitable places to use that power , listen hard , dig even harder ! 

• Like 3