Best Rechargeable Pinpointer?

This is where the Sphinx 03 is awesome, configured with a phone app, and you don't even need to use the button to turn it off and on, that's all done by magnetics, pull it out of it's holster and it turns on, put it back in and it turns off.

It's a shame it never became widely available, and that's unlikely to happen now with the war going on over there. 

They're a big brand too, and make a massive range of different pinpointers, many for security use.

Catalog of Handheld Metal Detectors and Metal Detectors for Object Security | "SPHINX" – Inspection Equipment (sphinx-md.ru)

Sphinx_metal_detectors_Interpoliteh20191.thumb.jpeg.f9edfb80a415f63087927b694637c772.jpeg

Other brands may end up copying the phone configuration method in time, as it really is a game changer, so much easier than remembering overly complex button combinations to do things.

It has a great internal battery too, up to 90 hours off a charge.

The best engineered rechargeable small devices for off grid use would have a design that allows the rechargable battery to be swapped with some common disposable battery. For example, I like the Petzl Core system which has a recharge battery that can be swapped out for 3 AAA if need be.  

To that end, common format rechargeable batteries have been recommended here. That way you have a wider number of platform options (as mentioned), but you can also always carry spare disposable batteries. 

I just bought a Pinpointer to go with my Legend.  I settled on the XP MI4 over the Nokta AccuPoint.  I use it in vibrate only and would absolutely buy it again.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:41 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

... I haven't used Quest's top of the line pinpointer and I don't know if it has internal rechargeable battery operation of user replaceable batteries.

The Quest Xpointer Max has a li/ion internal rechargeable battery like the Accupoint.

I like it ,  it is very reliable . I just dont like its very stiff on/off button ..

On 4/3/2024 at 11:27 PM, phrunt said:

Sphrinx 03 is better than all of the pinpointers I've ever used

You’re killing me Phrunt.  You know I have pinpointer Fear Of Missing Out syndrome.  

8 hours ago, palzynski said:

The Quest Xpointer Max has a li/ion internal rechargeable battery like the Accupoint.

I like it ,  it is very reliable . I just dont like its very stiff on/off button ..

I've heard that comment before. Just how bad is the power button?

19 hours ago, KDX said:

I've heard that comment before. Just how bad is the power button?

It works well but you need to press it down quite strongly ( too strongly ) to start or stop the pinpointer  🙄. At least the pinpointer wont accidentally restart when in the holster ... 🙂

On 4/5/2024 at 11:13 AM, Lynk said:

That way you have a wider number of platform options (as mentioned), but you can also always carry spare disposable batteries. 

At this point I just carry a backup charge bank.  They're inexpensive, power dense which makes them compact enough to slip in a pocket  and are versatile enough to be used to recharge any of your devices on the go.  I'm basically done dealing with single use disposable batteries.