Why Keep 6k Stock Standard?

I've spent a lot of time hunting side by side with a guy both of us using our 6000's.. mine had the speaker up date/fix his did not.....now his does. Do your self a favor...if you have an older 6000 that needs the speaker fix... get it fixed...you trusted minelab enough to buy their machine in the first place why not trust them to fix it...

strick 

Strick I`ve started a new thread to answer you, about ML the company we love to hate or hate to love.

ML like always fix problems with their machines, the 6K speaker problem by MLs definition applies to those who use the speaker, no problem to me don`t use the speaker. The 6K roughly computing has paid for itself every 50 hours of use for the years I`ve had it, which to this slow old codger is 2 weeks slacko detecting, thus as such a very productive detector I adopt the attitude my 6K aint broke.......... the next detector ML brings out has their "Geo Sense" is going to be a ripper.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Why Keep 6k Stock Standard?

I think you'll find its most noticeable when using the speaker, it exists with headphones too to some degree.

There are no negatives to getting it done, only positives.  There was fear they were dumbing down the machine to fix the EMI problem, the fact is its a simple component change to a better quality component to improve shielding.

Two of this little innocent looking part caused so much grief.

This is the new replacement part type.  TDK Power Inductors - SMD 22uH 20% 0.71ohm 0.8A AEC-Q200

From the part specifications: Shielding : Shielded

It's quite possible the original part used was an unshielded inductor, or just a poorly shielded brand.

inductor.jpg.563e7aacda39d53ef632b6a2803801cb.jpg

The part cost for me to buy retail, $1.53 🙂

I bet since the EMI fix is incorporated into all new detectors they've replaced a lot less suspect faulty coils.

• Like 6

Not all GPX 6000s exhibited the issue or not enough to bother the owner. I got along just fine with my never fixed 6000. People went from denying there was an issue to now insisting every 6000 made had the issue. The truth is probably more in the middle.

• Like 8

Norvic I've never used my speaker while hunting I always use headphones...runs way better now.

Maybe  @Sourdough Scott will chime in and let us know how he likes his machine after the fix...haven't really talked with him about it....I don't think his stock machine was running nearly as bad as mine was.... I've only ever seen him using headphones while using the 6000 as well. 

strick 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I noticed improved threshold on mine after the fix. Its smother humming now, but honestly I dont think the 6 was missing much before.  I prefer speaker audio as many of the areas we go are trashy, so it is an ear saver blessing not to have the constant blasting to the ears.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WesD said:

I prefer speaker audio as many of the areas we go are trashy, so it is an ear saver blessing not to have the constant blasting to the ears.

What's the difference? Still bashing you ears no matter what. Ok, I get it, headphones you are more locked into it, but hey, just turn down the volume.

D4G

• Like 3

Let your ears rest: Prolonged use of headphones and earbuds, even at 85 dB, can still harm your ears. That said, practice the 60-percent/60-minute rule – if you set the volume at 60 percent, limit your usage to 60 minutes daily.

Hearing Health Foundation - Personal Listening Devices

I'm not sure but the threshold buzzing in your ears all day with headphones on can't be good for your ears, even if at lower volumes.  They don't recommend listening to headphones for longer than 60 minutes even at lower volumes, and we use detectors full days, some ongoing day after day with a horrible threshold sound irritating our ears.  At least with the GPZ you can adjust target limits to stop the big screamer junk signals being such boomers, you can't on the GPX 6000.

When using the speaker, the sounds generated a lot further from your ears, and not so harsh.  People like headphones as they hear more, which is because they're got speakers strapped to their ears.

I've never liked headphones though, so it's natural for me to be doing an anti-headphone post 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Steve seems there is a fair variance between some 6Ks performance, more than detectors before, or is that just because we have the internet broadcasting info... 

Strick no worries, I`d buy another if I thought it`d increase the 6Ks production, this old one owes me naught.

WesD & Dig4 I found the around neck Avantree Torus set on speaker are the go. 

Phrunt since the Zs shoulder speaker I`ve gone off headphones. Health bonus..... no more "tropical" ear since. 

Do you folks run your 6K in auto, manual, difficult, normal? Mostly difficult and Auto+ here, appears to me MLs "Geo Sense" is a definite goer, keen to see ML develop it further. Doubt we`ll see a GPZ 8000 before a 6K replacement, which enjoy a much bigger/popular user base unless ML can cut the copper weight down in DoD coils ie. go lighter maybe Mono coils if possible like the PIs use. Think the days of users swinging anvils on anchor detectors are gone ... ahhhh but they were fun.😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Norvic said:

Do you folks run your 6K in auto, manual, difficult, normal?

Manual Sens 8-10, difficult, are my to go settings. I don't like what Auto is doing, it gets erratic at times (at least for me). I use the Avantree Torus most of the times in the forest/mountains (want to hear what might be creeping up on me-i.e. bears, mountain lions, angry forest inhabitants, etc..), but mostly headset in the desert. The audio fix did improve the threshold stability for me, even when using just BT. I never use the internal speaker. Nothing wrong with the stock coil but haven't used it ever since I got the NF 12x7. Haven't changed it ever since I put it on. I prefer it over the coiltek 9. DD I have only used a few times (is not doing much for me-rather use the Z instead with adjusted settings if the 6k would require DD), and 17 is also just collecting dust.

GC

• Like 3

GC, Auto+ does get a wee rattly but I believe it is the go ie. let the 6K have its head. Working the CT 14x9 patch hunting at present find its a good compromise re. weight/sensitivity/ground coverage. The "dusty" ML 17, am considering an op on it to turn into a Spiral wound for both the Agro and 6K. Same here the 14DD is just gathering dust too. After our flooding wet grass is up around the ears thus mainly linear detecting but next year the drought will likely return in the downunder land of crazy extremes.

• Like 2