Coil Covers And Skid Plates

Most of my hunting will bi with the 7000 as well. I'm going to be off work for a while so I have time. I can't wait to hit a few areas I've studied well. Some are really rough and hard to hike to. And some have horrible weeds that almost scratch through the skids. That's the whole reason I was wondering about skids. 

Thanks

John

3 hours ago, whitebutler said:

. Some are really rough and hard to hike to. And some have horrible weeds that almost scratch through the skids. That's the whole reason I was wondering about skids. 

Thanks

John

hey John.   Mate even though I didn`t do it this way, there is no reason you couldn`t glue the polycarbonate sheet onto the bottom of the skid plate.  Then you could still remove the skid plate to clean under the coil.   I attached mine directly to the coil and this plate has been on my 14" for well over 12 months and untill the 19" came out this coil was being used almost daily.   Cheers Dave
k8ov6u9

• Like 5

Thanks Phoenix. I may give this a try. I wore out my original 14" coil cover the first season but I still have it. A crescent wear pattern along the leading edge. And my Miner John cover wore out by the end of last summer, crescent hole on leading edge. I may as well see if I can refurbish one of these for backup at least. At $50 a pop for either a home repair project is worth my time and I have one of each to experiment with.

Steve I have only put up this link as a reference, I have no doubt somewhere over where you are you can get the same stuf. From a dollars and cents point of view you cant beat this stuff.  That`s why I originally started useing it.  With my 5000 I was a severe scrubber and was wearing out a skid plate every couple of weeks.  The sheet in this link, for 60 bucks you would get years and years of skid plates
cheers Dave
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1220x1220x1mm-UV2-polycarbonate-Clear-Sheet-FREE-Postage-Lexan-Makrolon-Supply-/252341081399?hash=item3ac0b35537:g:j5gAAMXQ-3NRnFy9

• Like 1

Steve I've got to agree with Phoenix on this one. This stuff really works well. I have it on all my coils and there is no sign of it wearing out. Our Central Goldfield Branch of the Prospectors & Miners Association here in Victoria, (Aussie) bought a sheet of it for our members to use. It was the same size that Phoenix has put up. We have not had one complaint about the stuff as yet. Some of our members silicon the Polycarbonate sheeting directly to their coils and others attach it to their skid plates.  Actually Phoenix who belongs to our Branch put us on to it. "Thanks Phoenix" great stuff mate.

• Like 3

I will bust out with some glue and poly plastics. I will try the glue to the old one and see how well it works. 

Thanks agian!

John

9 minutes ago, whitebutler said:

I will bust out with some glue and poly plastics. I will try the glue to the old one and see how well it works. 

Thanks agian!

John

John if you are interested, have a look at this thread on how I fit the stuff.

cheers Dave

I was able to contact miner John designs. I spoke to a guy that makes what I want and he is willing try to make anything fit any detector coil. I did find poly carbonate does have carbon that can cause falsing.  I won't be doing that. I ordered a few covers from him so I have some scrubbing that can be done. 

Again guys thanks for all the info. You all are really helpful and tons of ideas.

Thanks again 

John

• Like 1

A CNC machine that I`m currently building,(wet weather project) this with a 3D print head will, I hope, allow me to make custom coil skid plates using poly carbonate filament. Note the 3d printed parts, amazing tech 3d printers combined with public domain software written by enthusiasts, make such machines quite cheap to make, but a lot of hours.

Whitebutler so far I`ve not experienced any falsing but that is a concern, will have to investigate further, and perhaps go with a different filament but poly carbonate is bloody tough.

IMG_0049 (2).JPG

• Like 3