Minelab VLF Comparison Chart

Cabo Chris

9 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

It obviously has nothing to do with the processing speed or target ID......or it should have a better rating.   Im guess most of you are right, but id also say it has to do with the ability to get very specific when designing dis patterns and tones.   Cal...... im with you.   What the testers use may not be what we get...... a lot of times it aint.  Its going to depend on what the designers vision is for where he wants it to shine.   Right now it seems the high conductors.   So........will ML give us a somewhat watered down version this time so it can be upgraded down the road?   Steve may be able to tell us once they come out and he can compare it to what he  tested.

13 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Yes that "star chart" has changed more then you can shake a stick at.  As TS posted, the Equinox has 4 stars originally, then went to 2, and now it's at 3.  It's a marketing slide, as such, I'd take it with a major grain of salt.  

My largest fear on the Equinox, is that it'll be too good, Minelab may opt to dumb it down, or throttle down it's maximum capabilities so it does fit into that 3 star slot, not the 4 star slot as originally noted.  It wouldn't be the first time such an occurrence has occurred.

After the way ML has promoted the Equinox, I would be very surprised if they didn't release the best machine possible.  I simply refuse to believe a company such as ML would play games.  The Equinox practically sells itself!  For my detecting interests and needs ML has produced the best detectors and I credit ML with my success.  

I obviously do not know the ML sales pie chart, but am thankful ML even continues producing hobby machines.  I've often wondered if their Military Division might eclipse sales of the Hobby Division to the point of shutdown?  In a way I have taken my BBS machines for granted and if they went away, I sure would miss them!  

I hope ML sells thousands of Equinox!

43 minutes ago, Cabo Chris said:

I simply refuse to believe a company such as ML would play games

Ha, ha, I would never go that far when talking about companies. :rolleyes: 

I spent my life making a living by marketing product. I promise way too much is being read into a simplistic chart. I also promise that people have no idea just how silly and simplistic things can get in marketing 101 at times. Quite seriously, you can say the CTX is better at discrimination based purely on it having a color screen. By displaying colors in different intensities, you are getting more information about the target. More information about the target is the very definition of metal detector discrimination. Therefore, the CTX has better discrimination because it has a color screen.

It really is no more complicated than that.

On the flip side, what do you need really? 95% of the targets I ever dug metal detecting I dug because the machine went beep, it sounded good, and I dug it. Detecting does not have to be complicated.

Marketing can take many forms and guises and what Minelab has done is not unusual and is the norm for many other companies, early disclosures of pending product releases is a simple means of product awareness especially where a company is bringing about a product improvement or upgrade of an already established article and are looking for a marketing response. Just like Steve has said in marketing you are constantly making assessments of what Joe Public needs, wants and likes and this is not the first time that Minelab has used this marketing ploy they did the same with the CTX-3030 and were doing research and development whilst the testers were carrying out usage with the beta models and another metal detecting manufacturer XP did exactly the same with the Deus.

Patience is a virtue.

Wednesday might be good news day you never know.

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Ha, ha, I would never go that far when talking about companies. :rolleyes: 

I spent my life making a living by marketing product. I promise way too much is being read into a simplistic chart. I also promise that people have no idea just how silly and simplistic things can get in marketing 101 at times. Quite seriously, you can say the CTX is better at discrimination based purely on it having a color screen. By displaying colors in different intensities, you are getting more information about the target. More information about the target is the very definition of metal detector discrimination. Therefore, the CTX has better discrimination because it has a color screen.

It really is no more complicated than that.

On the flip side, what do you need really? 95% of the targets I ever dug metal detecting I dug because the machine went beep, it sounded good, and I dug it. Detecting does not have to be complicated.

Same for my water hunting Steve....... beep..... a brief second to think..... and dig.  Its really not brain surgery for water hunters.   Its about getting over the target, knowing what the machine just told you, and learning things change at depth....... not everything that sounds like trash is trash in the water.  The hunters who leave with the mumbles...... normally just havent had enough time in the water.  Because the machines now ......makes it more about the person using it.   Recent targets now is more about who gets over it first.

On 12/19/2017 at 11:15 PM, Randy Dee said:

Marketing can take many forms and guises and what Minelab has done is not unusual and is the norm for many other companies, early disclosures of pending product releases is a simple means of product awareness especially where a company is bringing about a product improvement or upgrade of an already established article and are looking for a marketing response. Just like Steve has said in marketing you are constantly making assessments of what Joe Public needs, wants and likes and this is not the first time that Minelab has used this marketing ploy they did the same with the CTX-3030 and were doing research and development whilst the testers were carrying out usage with the beta models and another metal detecting manufacturer XP did exactly the same with the Deus.

Patience is a virtue.

Wednesday might be good news day you never know.

Well it did turn out to be "Wednesday Good News Day" after all with the main distributors getting notification of the Equinox release date and then the Minelab web site announcing the release date the early hours of this morning.

All good fun, not long to wait now and I am number 11 on the UK dealers list.