Can I Be Critical Of The Equinox Here?

14 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Equinox's mechanical design and overall reliability is average at best compared to similarly priced detectors.  It is apparent ML is cutting  some corners on the mechanical design of Equinox to drive down cost for the sake of competition and there are apparently some quality control issues that are letting defective material escape the factory.  It doesn't take long to realize the board is full of folks selling and folks (including myself) buying third party stems, shafts, coil ear tab supports, and armrest products, even before stuff breaks, to overcome these Equinox design shortcomings.

So we turn $900 detectors (800 model) into more expensive units.  I've been fiddling with mine lately as you may have read here, trying to make it more ergonomically friendly.  But I remind myself that the reason I bought it and the reason it's still my go-to detector is because of what's inside.  Sure, an Equinox 800 in a Teknetics T2 or Fisher F75 package would be the bee's knees (...hey, maybe I'll try that next...  😜) but we do what we can with what we got.

Unfortunately we can't do anything (at least as individuals) with the weather, and that's my (and many of your) biggest hindrance at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/24/2018 at 10:04 AM, MineBlab said:

OK, here is a sound analysis of an air test of a nickel and a square tab (the blue screen at the lower part of the image).  Both were swiped at the same speed and same distance from the coil. You tell me which is which. Not trying to argue here, just demonstrating.

Also watch (and listen) to this:  Same soil as mine. Just talking about sound here, not VDI jumping.

Screenshot_20180424-085509.thumb.png.3bb032c16f16dea7478ac6c0b4586dcd.png

So there's nothing in the 94Hz signal that's different, I can understand that but spread out the spectrum at and above 94 over time.

I'd like to hunt against someone that uses 50 tones and compare perceived target audio quality and detectibility of a variety of targets in situ against those 50 tones vs my 5 tone setup for high conductors and old nickels.