Equinox Multi-IQ Technologies ( Part 3 )

cdv

Time efficiency is key to my style of hunting.  The reason for ordering an Equinox, to me, is Multi-IQ. I'm counting on Multi-IQ to pick valuable targets from iron/trash littered sites. Spending less time chasing false signals, and recovering more good stuff in all locations is what sold me.  If I'm going to dig-it-all, I'm going to use a PI. Otherwise, give me Multi-IQ.:cool:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

TS........ i dont remember ML saying they used the single freqs and combined them.   Multi..... couple or bunch.  They really havent said which .... or better yet HOW MANY maybe combined/transmitted like they did with BBS/FBS.  

Minelab has not released that information yet to my knowledge. But, I find this paragraph very interesting...

From Treasure Talk 2:

" “How many simultaneous frequencies?” you may ask, wondering if this is a critical parameter. Minelab has been carrying out detailed investigations into this in recent years. Just as you can colour in a map with many colours, the minimum number to differentiate between adjacent countries is only 4 – a tough problem for mathematicians to prove, over many years. Similar to the map problem, it’s perhaps not the maximum number of frequencies needed to achieve an optimum result, but the minimum number that is more interesting. When it comes to frequencies in a detector, to cover all target types, how the frequencies are combined AND processed is now more important, with the latest detectors, than how many frequencies, for achieving even better results."

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BigSkyGuy said:

I am curious if there will still be a true all metal mode.

Did Equinox ever have one really?

This is a question of definitions. The Equinox 600 lacks a "Gold Mode". The Equinox 800 has a "Gold Mode". This is a mode optimised for finding tiny objects in mineralized soil. Is it a "true" all metal mode? What exactly is that?

On many VLF detectors a true, raw, unfiltered response can be seen via some pinpoint modes. All metal non-motion response.

Next would be a motion based "first derivative" all metal mode, that basically adds motion filtering to the raw pinpoint signal in an attempt to keep an even threshold while in motion. This mode has no discrimination capability at all and just signals targets. This is the classic "true" all metal mode used on early induction balance prospecting detectors.

Then came dual channel processing. Many detectors started layering a visual discrimination channel onto the all metal channel, creating detectors like the Gold Bug Pro that have a target id while in all metal mode. The X-Terra has what is called "Iron Mask" while in Prospect Mode, which apparently incorporates a ferrous reject into the channel or employs a layered parallel channel. I don't know the technicalities, just that the feature is there.

Are these "true" all metal modes? Not by old school definitions.

Gold Mode can employ 20 khz single frequency, 40 khz single frequency, and also now multifrequency. It offers both target id capability and masking capability. Is this a "true" all metal mode? From a technical perspective, not really. I honestly think we are moving past that point. There is a huge amount of focus being given to "how" on the various modes work when what should interest people more is "how does it perform versus the other options that exist". What if it is not a "true" all metal mode but outperforms one? Is there an inherent value in "trueness" beyond our ability to think in familiar terms? I don't think so. Personally I just want things to work, to offer performance edges. To a large degree I am just treating Equinox as something truly new and so holding on to preconceptions may not be beneficial. Only Minelab can truly explain how Gold Mode differs from the other modes as regards under the hood issues. 

"Well, OK Steve, then how does Gold Mode compare to detectors that people do agree have a true all metal mode?"

Good question, one that I and many people around the world will sort out in coming months. More soon.

• Like 4

"Weighted".  That is the key word that needs definition.  What does "weighted" mean for the multifreq programs? 

On a V3i, running multi freq Best Data, 'weighted' would mean strongest response.   On V3i running multi freq Corrolate, 'weighted' would mean that two strongest frequencies responses agree.

On the Equinox programs, "weighted" could mean Best Data responses from the program's focused frequency selections but with an additional correlation.   So maybe it does broadcast all 5 frequencies but only processes the results of a particular program's target frequencies (which should be giving the strongest responses), say two or three out the five, then correlate them.  Not averaging but correlating the 'sameness' of the strongest two.

I dunno.  But that is what I'm hearing when I read Part 3.   If so, then an Equinox program is basically running in both Best Data and Correlate at the same time.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

Thank you Steve for the detailed response. I am used to thinking of "all metal" as superior to discrimination in terms of separation and depth. Perhaps Equinox is now changing the rules in that what we have all taken as gospel over decades may no longer be true.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vfp7 said:

Steve, you will be able to say something about the work of the Nox in the multi-frequency mode on the salt sea over a fragment of a small chain of gold without a lock (without fastening).

I live a long way from the coast or any saltwater though I hope to get to saltwater with the Equinox over the next 6 weeks. You no doubt know that at some point both saltwater and small gold read the same, and that attempting to detect one detects the other. Conversely, rejecting one rejects the other. Equinox does not break any laws of physics so that limitation still applies. How a detector splits that difference can vary tremendously with not only the soil conditions on the beach but the actual salinity of the water, which varies greatly at different locations. The bottom line on this one is that while it is obvious Multi-IQ is hot on small gold, what compromises Minelab has had to make for stable beach performance and how they end up acting under actual field conditions I do not know personally. No doubt others are involved in that end of Equinox development far more than I, so I will leave it to them to comment when appropriate.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

"Weighted".  That is the key word that needs definition.  What does "weighted" mean for the multifreq programs? 

On a V3i, running multi freq Best Data, 'weighted' would mean strongest response.   On V3i running multi freq Corrolate, 'weighted' would mean that two strongest frequencies responses agree.

On the Equinox programs, "weighted" could mean Best Data responses from the program's focused frequency selections but with an additional correlation.   So maybe it does broadcast all 5 frequencies but only processes the results of a particular program's target frequencies (which should be giving the strongest responses), say two or three out the five, then correlate them.  Not averaging but correlating the 'sameness' of the strongest two.

I dunno.  But that is what I'm hearing when I read Part 3.   If so, then an Equinox program is basically running in both Best Data and Correlate at the same time.

HH
Mike

Correlate and Best Data on the V series is about a discrimination methodology. By weighting all Minelab is doing is talking about whether a mode "leans" or primarily uses higher frequencies or lower frequencies. In other words, it is about frequency mix and target response, not how the machine discriminates, though that is obviously related.

It is confusing........ i noticed it used very low freq.... surely it doesnt mean the same to me or it would seem counter production to finding gold.... unless in some way it does some wrap around.   Hey... .... if it finds gold.... ill take it.   I look forward to you nugget posts Steve..... will we get a picture and a bit of info ..... approx depth and weight?   Yes im asking for a lot lol.

25 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

It is confusing........ i noticed it used very low freq.... surely it doesnt mean the same to me or it would seem counter production to finding gold.... unless in some way it does some wrap around.   Hey... .... if it finds gold.... ill take it.   I look forward to you nugget posts Steve..... will we get a picture and a bit of info ..... approx depth and weight?   Yes im asking for a lot lol.

Which mode (s) are you referring to?  All the non-beach gold finding modes (Park/Field 2 and Gold) use higher weighted Multi IQ meaning favoring the higher frequencies which is more favorable to small gold detection.  If you are referring to the both beach modes, then yeah, those are both low weighted and would not seem to be conducive to detecting small gold.