Equinox Audio Vs FORS CoRe

Flbchbm

First, thank you very much for your contributions to the metal detecting community. You have been very generous with your time, treasue, and knowledge.

I know you addressed this a little bit a while ago. You related that the Equinox gives more audio information than the typical digital machine because it takes so many snap shots of the target in such a short period of time. How does the audio information compare to the audio of the Nokta Fors Core?

Since the FORS CoRe lacks a full tones audio option that may not be a fair comparison. The CoRe three tone mode mode is as far as it goes. The FORS models also have more of what Keith Southern calls a “bleedy-blendy” audio whereas the audio responses on the Equinox are more digital/discrete? Long story short I don’t have Keith’s skills in trying to describe audio plus I have not used a CoRe type machine in a couple years so I am not much help on this one.

I like having a full tones option myself. Other people hate full tones and prefer a more limited tone option, like the CoRe three tone mode. Audio like ergonomics tends to be highly personal so any one type can’t be said to be better than another. It’s a whatever works for you sort of thing.

I guess I was looking not so much at the tones as the information within the tone. I have an MX Sport that I enjoy using but the digital sound gives me no more information than the TID does. The Nokta gives me a lot of information in each single tone. So much so that the TID becomes secondary to the information in the sound. An MX Sport with Nokta sound would be an awesome machine. Kinda hoping the Equinox would have that high-information audio to it. Either way I am looking forward to getting my Equinox! Thank you for the reply, Steve!

4 hours ago, Flbchbm said:

I guess I was looking not so much at the tones as the information within the tone. I have an MX Sport that I enjoy using but the digital sound gives me no more information than the TID does. The Nokta gives me a lot of information in each single tone. So much so that the TID becomes secondary to the information in the sound. An MX Sport with Nokta sound would be an awesome machine. Kinda hoping the Equinox would have that high-information audio to it. Either way I am looking forward to getting my Equinox! Thank you for the reply, Steve!

I think Steve is saying that the Equinox audio does contain that nuanced target information, but the language may be different than the Nokta.  So one has to learn a new language.

To go along with that FLBCHBM....... you do have the option of 1/2/5/50 tones.   Ive was pretty used to having all those tones every since the Explorers.  But most people it took some time to learn them..... i think that was a big complaint on the Xcal.   Ive gotten spoiled with the CTXs ability to really adjust them in 5 tone.   For me the simpler the better in a water machine.   Im certain ill try them all...... but if 5 is flexible enough for beach trash targets ill likely be using that setting.   Some people just cant pick thru 50 tones...... but for use its more identifying iron and shallow bottle caps...... the rest we dig or at least kick the sand.   

Are you able to customize and save your tone options per mode?  Say for example that for relic hunting you only want five tones, yet for park hunting you want full/50 tones?  Or do you have to readjust the tones manually each time you select a mode?  I'm assuming on the EQ800 you can save whatever settings you want, but might be wrong... :huh: