Took My New Nox 800 To The Jungle This Week

AlbyM

Wanted to thank everyone on the forum as I've learned quite a bit here over the last couple of months. I was recently able to "skip the line" almost everywhere in the world and had a friend buy me a Nox 800 in another country and bring to me in a Latin American country. I went to 3 different sites this past week, all with substantial colonial Spanish history as well as history into the late 1800s. Although I watched a lot of videos and perused this forum, I felt a bit overwhelmed with all of the options and settings that first day. I wasn't convinced that any of the generic Park 1/2 or Field 1/2 settings would suffice for the environment I was working in (I.e., high rusty iron concentration, sometimes mineralized soil, deep cobs and relics, etc.). To make it more challenging is that the thick jungle foliage doesn't work well with larger coils like the 11" Nox standard and all 3 of my spots have been pounded over the years by dozens of other detectorists (including myself a few times). All that said, I learned a lot over the 3 days of detecting and I had some success.

I frequently experimented with all of the Park and Field settings to try to determine which would work best the first 2 days. By the 3rd day, however, I pretty much settled on Field 2 with the following modifications: I ground balanced manually often, sensitivity to 22, recovery speed down to 5, and iron bias up to 6. That seemed to work the best for me.

Anyway, my best finds were a couple of Spanish real cobs, a 1/2 real and another cut cob that had probably been a 2 real before the cut. The 1/2 real rang up as a solid 12 while the cut cob rang up as an 15. 

My other find was this Nueva Granada army brass button that rang up a solid 18. Photos below. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.48.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.48.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.47.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.47.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.49.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.49.24 PM.png

nice going. you'll get better with it too. keep up the good work.

How about a general view of the area, if it won't give too much away.

Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast

Thanks for posting the finds, they are truly amazing.  Being able to hunt 16th century Spanish Colonial sites must seem like a dream come true.

Tom

On 4/15/2018 at 7:52 AM, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

How about a general view of the area, if it won't give too much away.

Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast

Hi Gary, this is me at one of the sites from last week which should give you an idea of the terrain. I should say this is a small clearing within the search area. Some of it is impassable. 

jungle.png

Looks like Fort Powatan, Virginia when I hunted for Civil War relics.  Trees shoulder to shoulder!  That's an awesome site!  GaryC/Oregon Coast