Equinox " Hack " On Youtube

Nuke em

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I tried this technique while out hunting the last couple days. I didn't accept it as the end-all; I know better.  What I was tending to see (it's never easy, and I do mean 'never') is that for isolated targets it worked well.  However, isolated targets (for me, anway) are the easy ones to figure out.  For multiple targets near/under the coil it wasn't as helpful.

There are a lot of tricks in metal detecting.  In real world trashy sites your bag of tricks needs to be large.  Even then I doubt there is any 100% accurate method.  If you don't like digging then skip all but the cleanest signals.  If you don't like leaving any (potentially) valuable item in the ground then dig-it-all.  If you're like most you have to find your own happy medium in between these two extremes.  Fill your bag with tricks, but don't expect any (or even all together) to give you Superman's X-ray vision.

I'm waiting for the Nokta Invenio, which will allow users to read the dates and mint marks off coins before deciding whether they are worth digging (well, for its price tag, it should).

Until then, I'm afraid you are right. No magic methods, just learning how to play the odds. And lots of situations come up that no machine or user can predict. Usually, it means no coin for one's efforts. But the other day, hunting a trashy abandoned lot, I dug a very iffy signal and found a penny 2-3 inches down.  "Well, just a penny."  But when I swept the spot again, the signal was still there. A little more digging, and a copper penny, but still an iffy signal. A little more digging and I found two clad quarters. But I was still getting a signal.  More digging, and at 7" or so, I ran into an old rusty pipe, probably 3" diameter. I was tempted to try to excavate it, to see if I was picking up something alongside it, but the ground was hard and it was getting dark, so I just filled in the hole. I may go back. 

Not a great dig technique but the trick looks interesting for Australian stuff on isolated targets.  Reminds me of a couple of footy fields I detected in that second video ?  Interesting that he was not finding, or at least showing, any old large pennies.  They tend to pop up along side the silver when you get on it down there.