My 2018 Prospecting - The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Last year was not a banner prospecting year for me. I got out a number of times and did detect some gold and did some dry washing, but it was a year of other problems and obligations. I had two trips to the hospital, one emergency by ambulance, and one for surgery on my heart (not open heart, but the doctor put a probe up through a vein into the inside of my heart). My wife had two stays at the hospital as well. We also spent time moving my elderly mother in law from southern California where she has few remaining relatives, up to Reno.

I did get out and find some nice gold in my prospecting, but I made fewer trips and got less gold than I have in many years. I did however, do some serious hard rock prospecting in 2018 and made two deals with mining exploration companies to lease out properties that I own.  One deal was made on a set of claims that I had staked years ago, while the other was on a large set of claims I staked in 2018 (along with two partners which I have in that claim group). We staked over 200 claims in that group and it took some time in getting all of those claims out and posted. The company that leased those claims from us flew a helicopter survey over them and made several exciting finds. The ore bodies likely found there are electrically conductive, and the coil and electronics used to “see” the ore bodies are of a pulse type design – just like the pulse detectors we use, but with a gigantic coil and a bit different electronics.

So I can look at 2018 in a couple of different ways – for the direct gold I dug, it was a very poor year.  Yet for the total money I made on my prospecting it was a different story.  Counting the money I made on leasing out claims in 2018, if you calculated out the equivalent ounces of gold, that would make it my best year ever, by far. The money was the bullion weight equivalent of several pounds.

So in 2019 I hope to stay out of the hospital, and to take no rides in ambulances. I pray my wife stays out of the hospital too.  I hope to spend more time in the hills prospecting, and do more detecting and more drywashing as well.  I will stake some more claims and see if I can get those leased out as well, but I really want to do my own prospecting as I enjoy that so much.

For those interested in more details on the story of the claims I staked and how I got them leased off to two different exploration companies, I have a story this month in the ICMJ – called Making a Big Discovery. In the February and March issues I will have a two part article on how these lease contracts are structured and what a small miner might expect in such a deal.

Photos – A few of my detected nuggets; the helicopter surveying my claims, and some of the ground where the claims are located.

patch_gold.jpg

VTEM_007.jpg

Blue_target_site02.jpg

Hi Chris ,

I live in the Golden Triangle in Victoria  Australia . I know how you can have a topsy turvey year with your personal health and your family's . Hope 2019 leaves all that behind you . I also had a poor year prospecting missing the majority with leg and back problems plus a bilateral double hernia operation . Nearly all good now , but age catches up with you eventually . Not all is doom and gloom though , two good things happened for me . I purchased a Equinox to help with the weight problem which definitely will keep me detecting longer . I have only done 5 / 6 hours and found a few pre decimal coins a great cricket buckle ( believe it or not !! a cricket buckle depicting USA miners verses English miners ) This I will cherish for ever , also some miners buttons . Last year i posted I'll try and beat Steve to a Gold coin in 2018 , never happened but this is the year . Have you ever driven past a spot and mentally noted I will stop and detect there some time . With all my time off I did a lot of research reading , books and driving . My first attempt at using the faithful SDC came several weeks ago at one of these spots . I have been driving past it since 1979 . I have found 41 nugglets weighing in at 4.25 grams , this is the best weight ratio to nugglets found in 4 years with the SDC . I have spent about 15 / 20 hours at this spot with more detecting to do , I'll put up a pic with 20 odd pieces . You would understand this better than me , it's all been found within 80 metres of 2 old indicators (1860's ) in an area 120 metres by 30 metres . The gold is prickly . spongy and iron stained . The photo shows it as found or only cleaned in water in a ultrasonic machine . Have subscribed ti ICMJ for approx 8 years , love the magazine and especially your articles . All the best with health and happiness this year Chris .

Cheers

goldrat

IMG_0971.JPG

Chris. There is a fail proof remedy for almost anything that might ail you. It's a microscopic nematode found only in Plumas County and it must be inhaled directly from freshly excavated gold bearing earth. VA nurse Paul can vouch for this.

21 minutes ago, klunker said:

Chris. There is a fail proof remedy for almost anything that might ail you. It's a microscopic nematode found only in Plumas County and it must be inhaled directly from freshly excavated gold bearing earth. VA nurse Paul can vouch for this.

I hesitate to click the translate button; will wait for Paul's interpretation.. :blink:

Swamp

25 minutes ago, klunker said:

Yes Klunker is correct---- it is a beast that inhabits the gold soil that will clean out you lungs, intestines, brain, ..... just about anything. It is correctly called a nematode, not to be confused with the  CaneToad of Australia.

Nematodes are the most numerous multicellular animals on earth. A handful of soil will contain thousands of the microscopic worms... cite: wiki something

Chris, thanks for your contributions to helping us prospectors figure out how to hone our skills, wish you and yours the best and healthy new year and years to come.

I sure hope you and your wife have a better year health wise Chris. It’s fantastic the success you’ve had with the claims you discovered and leased. 

It really does do a person good to get out and prospect the land. All the best to you Chris.

Mike

8 hours ago, vanursepaul said:

Seems like i have seen that spot..... looks like so many others in NV eh

Were you claim jumping Paul?, that photo looks very familiar to one you showed me ??