Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lunk

Let's See Some Meteorites!

29 posts in this topic

Thanks Lunk, careless reading results in foolish questions...speed reading is not always reliable...

fred

1 person likes this

A pretty meteorite from Nevada with a nice fusion crust. Not mine, it was discovered by and belongs to a friend.

Nevada_meteorite.jpg

3 people like this

That's a beauty Chris; looks relatively fresh. Do you happen to know the mass of your friend's find?

I don't know the mass, but its small as you can see the individual loops of the shag carpet it is sitting on. I'd guess its not more than 2 inches long. It belongs to John B. - meteorite expert and all around good guy.

1 person likes this

Right on. I was going to guess it's in the 20 to 30 gram range, judging by the visual clue you mentioned. 

John B. you say; no wonder the stone is so clean...he must have performed the lick test on it. 😀

3 people like this

Some Holbrook finds from my first and second trips...fred

holbrook-1.jpg

DSC00550.JPG

2 people like this

Nice finds Fred. I like the flow lines on the top stone in the second pic. 

1 person likes this

I was going to post a pic of my tiny little fella.... but it would definitely pale in comparison to the aforementioned....lol

1 person likes this

will size does not matter on this forum...my first Franconia was the size of a pinto bean...

fred

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Lunk
      Many meteorite hunters prefer to search for space rocks using only their eyes to spot them on the ground. But when the area is strewn with dark colored terrestrial rocks that can mimic the look of a meteorite, relying on visual clues becomes a tough go. 
      In the photo below, I had just found a stony meteorite exposed on the surface  with my metal detector. Test your skills and see if you can spot the chondrite. 

• By Chris Ben
      Detected (gpz) this with my buddy Dave and couple of weeks back. It's tiny I know but looks possible. I tried to get some good macro shots. 
      Chris 
    • By mn90403
      Here is a video about an 8 lb main mass Gold Basin meteorite.  I've seen other large pieces found on that side before it became a monument.

• By Lunk
      Back in 2004 I stumbled upon a chondrite sitting on the desert pavement just west of Quartzsite, Arizona. I picked up 16 fragments within an area of 1 square meter. The meteorite was classified as the Diablo Pass L6 ordinary chondrite; details here:
      https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?sea=Diablo+Pass&sfor=names&ants=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=50&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=name&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&snew=0&pnt=Normal table&code=35516
      Diablo Pass main mass:

Fast forward to today: I was passing through the area and decided to revisit the site. Someone had toppled the small stone monument I had erected to mark the find location, presumably to look for more pieces of the meteorite. Apparently they missed a few; after removing the monument stones, I proceeded to detect 10 small fragments from the area, many of which display remnant fusion crust. Their combined mass is just over 6 grams.

• By mn90403
      I got out for 3 days to Gold Basin.  The first day was a skunk but then at the end of the second a little color.  I got up at daylight on Saturday and found a couple of meteorites before 8 AM.  Then on a long walkabout I found a mini-patch of 3 pieces.  Later on a 5 mile walk I found a 15g sunbaker meteorite.  It is nice to get even small results with the 7000/14.

Mitchel

• By tvanwho
      I eyeballed/ picked up a rock that looks sorta like an Apollo space capsule from a farm field.It has a paper thin black crust and grey interior where a farmers plow broke it, but my magnet won't stick to it. How do I tell if it is or isn't a meteorite? There is a parking lot there now.
      There are sparkles inside the rock. I hear there are stony meteorites that are not magnetic? I'll find the rock and post a photo later.

-Tom