Steve Herschbach

My First Impression Of The Minelab Gold Monster 1000

mn90403    849

Repeat after me ... Effective, Light, Affordable ... it will find gold.

fredmason    1,027

Steve;

I wonder if you happened to give the Monster a go at the local parks? 

Jonathan, very interesting review on the TT blog...thanks.

thanks

fred

Steve Herschbach    7,843

I've tried a few oddball things. The Gold Monster 1000 is a dedicated designed from the ground up gold prospecting machine. It can of course be pressed into service for other uses but like other ultrahot detectors it can actually be too sensitive to tiny items. That can be useful for hunting tot lots or a beach for micro jewelry but it does also mean every tiny bit of aluminum foil sings off loud and clear.

If a person owned one and wanted to give it a go for other uses, no harm done, but in my opinion very few people would want to buy a Gold Monster 1000 for anything other than gold prospecting.

• Like 1

Lunk    757
On 5/17/2017 at 2:50 PM, Northeast said:

Lunk, JP, Steve - during testing did any of you take any video of the GM in action on undug targets, speccies, etc?

On 5/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I still have not been able to make myself go to the trouble yet of stopping and shooting videos. Frankly, it's just extra work

Ditto.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Reno Chris
      I took a friend out for a couple days in central Nevada to some hard rock mines (just got back). He got his first gold specimen with a GB2 within a couple hours, several more afterward and some more really nice ones  the following day. I got some nice pieces using the Gold Monster 1000. The GM100 is actually a really good machine on the dumps for picking out specimens. The very effective discrimination did a fine job of eliminating all the nails and other bits of iron trash so common in old hard rock dumps. Look for a more detailed article on using the GM 1000 to scan old hard rock dumps maybe as a treasure Talk feature or in the ICMJ magazine or both . Hard rock mines are overlooked by many prospectors and they have real potential. Its interesting that we got both pieces where the gold was quite yellow and others where it was silver rich and very much in the electrum range. The gold rich stuff tended to be more platy and the silver rich electrum was more wiry. Fun to pick this kind of thing off an old mine dump - this is a nice specimen of wiry, silver rich electrum gold - the gold comes out the back side of the specimen as well, so it goes clear through. You know the old miners didn't intend to throw this stuff away.

• By Ridge Runner
      The odd thing is some GM 1000 work great out of the box. Then others have trouble with the small coil. But then you have people like me and a few others have trouble with both coils.
      It would be interesting to know if Minelab has more than one plant where GM 1000 comes together. Then too if Minelab had to buy their electronics from another company that could of been substandard without knowing it.
      This wouldn't be the first time a top name company got the shaft unknowing what they were buying was substandard.
      How many of you have sent your GM 1000 in to Minelab ?
      Chuck
    • By AU_Solitude
      So I rolled the dice and picked up a Monster even though I am well aware of the potential coil problems. I know Steve, Chris, and many others who are vastly more experienced than myself have reviewed the detector but I thought I'd document my first six hours of use here as I am more of a novice. 
      Things I Like:
      Build quality - most of the photo's online make this almost look like a child's toy, fortunately, that couldn't be further from the truth and I really love the cam-lock system. Not quite as portable - or quickly deployed - as say the SDC, but I can break it down and fit it and the SDC in a 30L weekend pack. Very adaptable. Automatic ground tracking - As a fairly new prospector I love this for one reason - it eliminates the human element of error. I can use old standbys like the GB II fairly well, adjusting with my thumb as I go, and doubtless manual ground balancing is an edge under certain circumstances, but occasionally my mind wanders and needless to say I know personally I'm not getting optimal depth 100% of the time with manual ground balance. Speaker volume - love the adjustments here; I can dial it down when in the middle of nowhere or crank it when working near water (Headphones see below.) Iron/Gold Probability - I dug probably 200+ targets in six hours, the only time the discrimination was off initially was on a few square nail bits, and it pegs very strong gold on graphite hunks. All hot rocks I encountered swung to the iron probable side occasionally crossing over a little. Things I don't like:
      Lack of 1/4" headphone jack - I like using headphones and while I can get an adapter for the 3.5, my favorites are 1/4" and it's just one more cog in the works to bug out. Threshold - this is going to take some getting used to. I actually ran most of the time in auto+ just to get some noise.  
      All in all I am happy - I'll probably honestly keep this as my sole gold VLF and sell off the others. It's still a new machine, but I have not experienced any of the falsing or bump issues that seem to be so prevalent here on the web. I have ZERO issues with tracking out targets - as long as you maintain a wide, slower, swing speed over the target it doesn't seem to be an issue. 

• By Dallas
      Steve

I just bought the monster 1000 have you work AZ yet with your 1000
    • By Northeast
      Having a bit of fun with the GM 1000 so thought I might chronicle my finds in the one spot (if that's allowed??). 
      Went out this afternoon with the literal dog, the figurative dog and the 3 hounds (the kids ). 
      Took the GM to a spot where I had been before with the SDC and the Zed and had never found anything but rubbish.  Old quartz vein site that had been pretty well smashed by the old boys.  Lots and lots of targets with a little bit of sign of previous detectorists but I am assuming they were put off by the rubbish too.   
      Today I strapped on the big coil for a bit of a change.  Have almost exclusively used the little fella as I think it's a bit more stable and sensitive - although I have absolutely nothing to back that up with.  
      A few small pieces of lead and a bit of ? tin.  And one nice little specie 👍🏻  Also had a bit of a noise in the quartz wall but it was hard to get close enough so will be heading back there with the little coil to get a better swipe at it.  
      Only out for about 45 mins so plenty more to this story (hopefully )

• By Andyy
      Here's a question to the GM owners .... will large coil still pick up down to 1 grain tiddlers?  (at the surface)  Or is that where you need to switch over to the 5" coil?  Thx all.