I stopped by a store a friend of mine told me about today and I'll never shop at REI again for boots.  This place https://www.galls.com/ has 769 entries for footwear.  I looked in their print catalog (what's that) and there are 45 pages of shoes, boots, duty boots, metal free, etc.  There is much more online and I have to say if you want to save a lot of bucks, get a Galls brand shoe.  I recently bought a new pair so I don't need any this season but if you do get some of these!

If you can't navigate a website very good go directly to the footwear here:  https://www.galls.com/footwear

Oh, I'm also going to buy some of their pants and shorts.

Mitchel

Hi think you need those High Gloss Duty Boots...you would really impress those sneaky nuggets!!!

Which model did you get that is without metal?

fred

• Haha 1

Fred,

I went into the store and there were about 20 boots on the shelves.  I asked the clerk which ones were metal free.  She went and asked a supervisor and she came back and told me ALL of them.  That surprised me.

This trip I didn't have my pointer so I didn't test them.  I'll have it when I go back to this store because they had some clearance items with eyes and loops that looked metal.  I know it is a duty store and they are careful about them.  I looked for any of the old Converse styles but that was something they didn't have.

I'd call customer service and ask them about metal.  I think they get that question all the time.

Mitchel

Good info. As a new detector, I never thought about metallic free boots/shoes.

How important is this?

Mickey D , I have a GPX 4500 and when I take a long step it will pick up my boot , makes me stop and look , until I figure out why it sounded off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mickey D said:

Good info. As a new detector, I never thought about metallic free boots/shoes.

How important is this?

Only a concern with the high power prospecting units, and more so with ones running large coils. Almost all regular metal detectors you need not concern yourself. Minelab PI detectors and the GPZ 7000 are the big offenders. People get a bit carried away with the metal free thing in my opinion but it can't hurt and in some cases does really help.

• Like 2

I agree with Steve, this does not effect my Gold Monster or my MXT or the Eureka Gold . Just my GPX 4500 but only if I take a big step and that is with an 11inch coil.

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People get a bit carried away with the metal free (footwear) thing in my opinion but it can't hurt and in some cases does really help.

I don't wear steel-toed boots when detecting, but the boots I wear have metal eyelets.  Not only doesn't it ever trick me, but I actually use them to check and make sure the detector is still working!  Note: I'm not using one of the super sensitive detectors Steve mentions; I understand the importance of not getting metal anywhere close to those.  Also, if you run in a mode with a low volume threshold you know your detector is working, but most detectors run silent in discrimination mode so that's where I need to do a sanity check.

• Like 1

Re: 7000 with 14/19 coils vs  brass boot eyelets

When I use the 7000 I feel that it does pick up metal boot eyelets. 

Klunker proved this to me one day last year while he was digging a target out for me on our snow detecting adbenture.

He thought my detector was too noisy as compared to his...so while we were trying to figure this out he deduced my boots were the problem..He would my the coil with his hand and move it slowly toward my boot and we could hear the subtle groan and eventually it would break into the weeooo target sound.

So i went back to his shop I proceeded to drill out all the brass eyelets....

The results: there was at least an ounce of eyelets!

When I got them all out.I put them in the palm of my hand I was shocked they were that heavy!

So even tho I wasnt consistently getting a noticeable wee ooo sound....i think I was getting interference at all times... and any type or amount of interference can't be a good thing...can it?

The point is, I think there can be an interference to the detectors  performance that isn't noticed by our ears. We may not hear the interference, but it may be happening. 

So i use non metallic boots now and I think my machine is quieter and feels more sensitive to even smaller targets.

Was it the eyelets...or my brain...???

As an added bonus.....I get lots more small trash now too:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GB_Amateur
      I'm sure many of you detect in colder weather than I've been in the last couple days (38F = 3C).  I can keep everything warm but my fingers.  Even with gloves (one on my detecting hand and two on my digging hand) I can't keep my fingers warm.  My detecting hand has a fairly thin (mechanic's) glove so I can handle the controls.  Both hands have been dry so that isn't the problem.  Any advice appreciated.

• By Sourdough Scott
      Where can one purchase metal free boots? And how many of you detectorists wear them?
    • By strick
      I'been looking for some new boots lately. The Reebok tactical boots just arnt doing it for me. Their hard to get on and off even though they have a side zipper...their heavy and most of all they are not water proof. The last straw was a couple weekends ago while I was trampling around the foot hills my feet got wet instantly as I had to cross several creeks. So I went to Bass Pro last week Pin pointer in hand and found one pair of boots (only one) on display that had no metal in them. Turns out that I could not be happier. They are light weight (3lbs total for the pair) Water proof (Gortex)  and most of all comfortable.  Broke them in last weekend and my feet were bone dry at the end of the day despite having stepped in water up to my ankles. The boot strings are a little on the thin side but that would be the only thing that could be improved. Just thought I'd pass it along.  http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-RCT-GORETEX-Hunting-Boots-for-Men/product/12021405012918/

strick 
    • By fredmason
      I like to wear broad brims hats while detecting.  The hat keeps the sun off my ears and gives me shade. A few months ago I bought a nice, inexpensive Stetson Straw hat..
      very nice for my use.  However, I kept noticing weird responses from my GPZ when I would isolate targets. Well the other day in Gold basin the wind blew my hat off. As I held it in my hand I passed near the coil and got a huge signal. What the Heck??? I thought my 7000 had lost its mind...so I waved the hat over the coil again...woo woobong!!! Crap my hat has wire in it...no wonder the detector would go crazy when I got close. 
      I just did a bit of research. It seems the wire is there to give the hat strength;needless to say that hat has been retired from nugget hunting service.
      fred
    • By Azavsfan
      Really 2 topics here. I am interested in what kind of boots you folks use while detecting. I prefer metal free and currently use a pair of Keens but the sole is already starting to delaminate and they have less than 60 hours out and about. I know they are good about replacing them, or so I have heard, but I would really like something that will hold up reasonably well and won't give me that falsing that can happen when I forget about metal in boots. I ran into a Border Patrol agent who said he uses a boot called Vibram Rocky that has no metal and stands up to the terrain down here in Yuma by Sea (sorry Condor, I can't resist repeating your catch phrase). Comments or new ideas?

2nd question is about a standalone GPS unit that folks use. I have an old Etrex but would like something a little newer and if possible it will accept Google Earth images/KML files so I don't have to try to redo all the points I have saved to my places and the special MRDS and other KML layers I've accumulated.

Any info is appreciated and I know from experience that somebody out there is bound to learn something from these topics besides myself. Thanks in advance.
    • By tvanwho
      I could use some advice on traversing rough ground ? The creek I need to go check out in a few weeks,if the dry weather holds, has numerous mudholes and vertical banks up to 10 feet straight up with either water or knee deep mud at the bottom. The one side creek, I used to go down the bank on a knotted rope and had steps carved in the dirt but this creek bank is now 10 feet high and too dangerous to go up and down I think, especially by myself. Where it feeds into the bigger creek, is alternating mudholes and gravel bars and tons of hotrocks. I just found out last week, this area was almost an iron mine back in 1890 which would account for the hotrocks and red bedrock river bottom in spots and blasted out craters in the limestone ridges beside the creek.

I never ran any gravel here in a sluice or did any serious panning or get rock samples, all of which I need to do this time, plus photos and detecting. Years ago, when i was here last, I even found a cone shaped tailings pile of mud and bits of limestone in the creek and an artificial looking white cobble gravel bar where i wanted to gold hunt. I am betting the iron miners were sluicing here before me altho I don't know why they would be sluicing for iron? The history book did not mention anything about gold in the account.

Should I wear hip waders or my leather boots? That creek water is gonna be cold.Just hope the nettles and poison ivy are down by now,Nov 2014? I have to get up and down a couple steep hills and that muddy creek bottom via deer paths or making my own path about a mile in from the nearest road.Wonder if I should wear blaze orange as it may be deer season for bow hunters?

Thanks,

-Tom V.